PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Some folks enjoy smoking but don’t want nicotine. See the various threads that pop up here of people asking for the lowest nicotine blends with the fullest flavor. Either by choice or by physical reasons (perhaps they are highly sensitive to nicotine but enjoy tobacco).

Iv been drinking more decaf coffee lately. I enjoy coffee as a flavorful drink. My dad enjoys non alcoholic beer……he likes the taste of beers as a drink, but is unable o consume alcohol.

Many reasons exist for products of this general nature.

Reactions: Uguccione

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Does anyone have anything half serious to say about the problem they have over GMO in the first place?
For the most part, GMO mods have been done so that the plant can tolerate being saturated by (cancer causing to humans) chemicals, and have it still survive. Even in the human genome, most of the code is considered "irrelevant", which in my world means that they don't properly understand it to any significant degree yet. There's no way that is true in my world. Therefore, I'm nowhere near trusting that these changes are safe and don't have as yet unknown and long-lasting unpleasant consequences.

There, that's "half serious" because I'm not a geneticist, but I follow my own world observations and deductions with the knowledge I have, to the best of my ability.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I want the nicotine, but if they could remove the tars and carcinogenic stuff, I would try it.
What makes the “tar”?

Interesting article about biomass uses. I think nuclear will be the unlikely means of powering the future through SMRs and other emerging tech.

During the pandemic there was discussion of using tobacco plants to produce vaccines or some sort of treatment best I recall.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Why would anyone bother? Some current popular blends are nicotine-less, or close to it. I just tried some HGL for the first time. Although it's delicious, any nicotinic content it has eludes me.
I smoked it for an hour and a half and maybe started to feel something but I'm not sure. And I'm a certified nic weenie.

Reactions: burleybreath

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere had already created a nicotine free tobacco using Luther Burbank's methods.

What's the big fear of GMO plants? Does it not merely speed up what can be done with selection and natural breeding?

I suspect there's something else -- can someone please say what it is?
GMO can be doing something similar to selective breeding but it’s like an accelerated version of it since breeders don’t have to breed for generations to achieve a desired trait. But the end result is something that is still possible to arrive at through natural breeding. The problematic GMO’s are the ones that nature could never produce, like adding a lizards gene to a tobacco plant with the goal of tolerating sun better (made up scenario but that’s the gist).

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I am sure there are people who would try it If it was developed. I would not.

If I know something has been genetically modified, I do not purchase or consume it.

The more important question is, “Would @JimInks review a GMO nicotine-free tobacco?” It might be the first one lacking a nic-hit description.

In fact, maybe it would create a new placebo nic-hit subcategory in reviews like when people think they are allergic to MSG and eat Chinese food with no MSG then get what they believe to be an MSG caused migraine or headache.

Reactions: JimInks and OzPiper

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville

Genesis 1:29​

My brain and common sense tells me God knew what he was doing and genetically modified plants are not natural. I stay away from GMO foods as much as I can. If I see it on a lable I avoid it. I would not smoke GMO tobacco if I knew it was GMO.
You don’t eat apples or potatoes or corn or wheat. I’m guessing it’s hella difficult to adhere to such strict dogma. That’s ok though, at least you’re successfully avoiding GMO products.