PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Hi aficionados!

I should have started here but didn't; old codger, see, cart before horse.

Few claims to fame but some to shame. I'm 66, first smoked cigs at 13 (Players Navy Cut, Disque Blue, happy days) and also acquired a pipe (Falcon) which I used now and again, without settling with it.

Claim to shame: living for a while in Perth, Scotland, and visiting Rattrays semi-frequently - but only to buy Sobranie or Sullivan's Private Stock cigs! Those big, ancient glass amphora of house pipe tobaccos were kind of off-world to young me and I'm sure that the look old Charles used to give me was one of sorrow. Wonderful shop, though, regrettably no more for many a year.

Now, in my later years, I too feel that opportunity lost - but hey, I have my pipes and "cellar", still many blends to choose from and much to explore, all is not lost.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Greetings from California!

Please
put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Thanks you for your welcome, everyone. I saw that there was a London Pipe Club, I should investigate. And kalimera Christos!

I rather envy you American chaps for your access to GL Pease blends, which we can only wonder about in the UK. Now, you might envy us our proximity to Germain, but no, most of the time their blends are traditionally "out of stock" :)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Welcome! Yeah, it’s a shame that a lot of these great places have closed. What's in your cellar and what pipes do you have?

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Claim to shame: living for a while in Perth, Scotland, and visiting Rattrays semi-frequently - but only to buy Sobranie or Sullivan's Private Stock cigs! Those big, ancient glass amphora of house pipe tobaccos were kind of off-world to young me and I'm sure that the look old Charles used to give me was one of sorrow. Wonderful shop, though, regrettably no more for many a year.
Wowzas!! You’re the first person I’ve ever heard of to have actually visited their old shop in Perth! I would have LOVED to of seen it for myself, as they used to do all their own blending ‘in house’ one can only imagine the sights & smells! Please feel free to ‘wax lyrical’ & tell us all about it!

Welcome to the forum btw, from Hereford UK.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Welcome! Yeah, it’s a shame that a lot of these great places have closed. What's in your cellar and what pipes do you have?
Oh... pipes, only a few! Now a couple of Saromes, a Peterson, a fairly rustic Istanbul meerschaum, and a Chinese rosewood churchwarden that smokes hotter than a two-dollar pistol.

Cellar, hmmm, SG Cabbies Mixture, St James Flake/Plug, Navy Flake, FVF and Plug, Skiff, Commonwealth. G&H Ennerdale. Petersons Deluxe Navy Rolls. Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake and Vintage Syrian. Dunhill 3 Years Aged Virginia, Dunhill Elizabethan. St Bruno. Germain Brown Flake, Special Latakia Flake. Rattray Marlin Flake. Possibly more.. oh, a couple of SG I never got along with, Best Brown Flake and Chocolate Flake.