How Flush are your Pipe Stem and Shank ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
9 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
3 Fresh Luiz Lavos Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I post this because today I received a new Moretti pipe with a gap between the stem and shank at the lower portion of the stem/shank assembly. The fact is when looking at the listing on eBay I thought I noticed a gap, but I dismissed it as the stem not being fully engaged for the photo. The pipe stummel as well as the stem are black, so the gap stands out even more. I attempted to lightly sand the stem face (I didn’t want to touch the shank) at the top area, figuring it would allow the stem to further engage and thereby close the gap in the bottom. I used a very fine sanding pad but it didn’t accomplish anything.

Then I noticed that when I twisted the stem upside down, the gap was STILL on the bottom, which meant it wasn’t an issue with the stem face, but perhaps the shank face. But again I wasn’t about to start messing with the shank.

Then I thought perhaps the issue is the tenon is just ever so slightly too long, and maybe it isn’t allowing the stem to close the gap. It’s stopping at where the mortise ends, if that makes sense. I was assuming inside the shank there is a point at which the mortise steps down and that is where the tenon stops. So I VERY LIGHTLY took off some of the tenon length/face. Still the same gap.

I searched the forum threads (here and elsewhere) and found others discussing this issue and some just dismissing it as OCD. One guy in fact discovered that his very expensive Castello was not flush. Somebody else wrote that getting the stem and shank flush with no gaps is actually extremely difficult and usually only accomplished by those who are master craftsmen stem-makers.

So I began to look at my other pipes against a light bulb and discovered that most of my other pipes do indeed have very minor gaps. Some are consistent all the way around and some are more pronounced in one area of the shank than others. Still, on this new pipe, the gap is somehow more apparent. Again, it might be due to the color of the stem and stummel being almost jet black.

I emailed a pipe repair guy and he said if it is a new pipe that he’d return it. What do you think ? (See attached photos.)

IMG_5514.jpeg

Last edited:

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Moretti
I would have said return it. However you already started ruining the value of the pipe by sanding it.

I get it though, if I planned on keeping it, I would have done the same thing.

I have had pipes with a slight gap like that, and I've never noticed a difference in smoking.
Moretti maker says I can return it still. I bought it direct. But I’m still considering just keeping it.

Reactions: didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Any excess glue around the tenon? I had a commission that was 4x as bad as yours. The excess glue by the tenon from the accent ring he added, was sticking out and I couldn't remove it.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Exactly. Like I said: I didn’t do much of anything. It was micro sanding pad. Like 1000 grit.
Ya thousand grit wouldn’t do anything you’d have to use 120 to really go after it. That’s a big thing for me when making pipes to make sure that’s closed. They might have used an already made stem.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
That's really odd for Marco. How fittings are usually spot on.
Yeah, he’s a great guy. But the first pipe I got from him had a slight issue too. I feel like maybe he’s overwhelmed with orders since it’s the holiday. It’s a bummer because I love his pipes and I had decided he was gonna be my go-to pipe brand. Maybe he’s extremely busy and he’s missing stuff.

Reactions: Chasing Embers