PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Congratulations @Old Smokey! It must be especially hard getting a tenure track position at major university teaching English literature these days. Very impressive. I hope you find some motivated students to keep you inspired and fulfilled. Makes me think of the novel Stoner, except with a happier life.

Last edited:

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
So I think I've already found the perfect house. It's around the Bloomfield area which is about 30 minutes from Bloomington. 45 acres and my parents said they'd buy it for us. They said it's their belated wedding gift lol.

My grand uncle is going to give us a bull and cow as well. Wasn't planning on doing the farming thing still but it really is what my family does. Her parents are providing some furniture. Nothing new but they are getting rid of their leather couch and love seat. It's in perfect condition.

We are blessed to have such wonderful family. I couldn't have survived without them and they come through in big ways. I did do the hillbilly way of accepting the gifts: say no gratefully 3 times then give in and thank them profusely. Oh, we also have a 4 acre lake. Going to be doing some fishing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great news all around, and congratulations!

I grew up near Bloomington, Illinois- great farm country. My family stayed away from anything that eats, except one Uncle who created what he called "pig parlors"- neat and cute, but he lost his shirt.

Good luck with the bull and cow!

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Well boo. Just got the call that they are no longer needing me. I never got the chance to sign the contract yet. I was supposed to sign in June but that's not going to happen now. At least I still have my job at the high school. No moving, no new house, no new income. Just rounding out a week of bad luck.
Well that's a surprising turn of events! Very unprofessional of them to lead you to believe with such certainty that you had the position, that you'd be prepared to move and have your parents buy you a house, to so abruptly rescind the offer! What happened exactly?

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
Well that's a surprising turn of events! Very unprofessional of them to lead you to believe with such certainty that you had the position, that you'd be prepared to move and have your parents buy you a house, to so abruptly rescind the offer! What happened exactly?
Budget cuts apparently. They are separating from Perdue in Indianapolis so there needs to be cuts to the budget. Since my class would be considered a "core" class, I was informed that they have decided to reduce class numbers.

We've lost two colleges the last two years here. Birmingham Southern was a shock. Less and less people are going to college each year, and universities are building more and more f'n buildings which drives costs up. At this point, the cost of a college education is way higher than it's actual value.

I was talking some friends who still teach where I was a professor, and they tell me that there are way more female students now, because men can make more money by working their way up ladders without any education than females. Mark my word, in ten years, the administrative staff everywhere in all areas will be women.

Reactions: Old Smokey
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Budget cuts apparently. They are separating from Perdue in Indianapolis so there needs to be cuts to the budget. Since my class would be considered a "core" class, I was informed that they have decided to reduce class numbers.
That's odd, considering the board of trustees approved a $4.2 Billion operating budget for fy 23/24, a $200 million increase over the previous year, as a part of the 7 year plan to provide more funding to accommodate the increase in expenses for labor, services and fixed costs.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
That's odd, considering the board of trustees approved a $4.2 Billion operating budget for fy 23/24, a $200 million increase over the previous year, as a part of the 7 year plan to provide more funding to accommodate the increase in expenses for labor, services and fixed costs.
That includes the teaching hospital. English did not receive as much of the budget as the others. It's also spread across multiple campuses.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
We've lost two colleges the last two years here. Birmingham Southern was a shock. Less and less people are going to college each year, and universities are building more and more f'n buildings which drives costs up. At this point, the cost of a college education is way higher than it's actual value.

I was talking some friends who still teach where I was a professor, and they tell me that there are way more female students now, because men can make more money by working their way up ladders without any education than females. Mark my word, in ten years, the administrative staff everywhere in all areas will be women.
My cousin doesn't have a college degree and makes $40 something an hour underwater welding on off-shore rigs.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
But, the last board of trustees meeting was on March 1, and they don't have another one until June. There was no mention of budget cuts. I'm not sure they were being honest with you.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
But, the last board of trustees meeting was on March 1, and they don't have another one until June. There was no mention of budget cuts. I'm not sure they were being honest with you.
Either way, I lost the job. I don't know the logistics, just the phone call. They mentioned budget cuts, lack of resources, smaller enrollment and more that I didn't really pay attention to. Gave it a shot though. At least I didn't resign from my teaching job yet.

Guess my car trouble was the start of a bad week. Jeep's alternator went out, got that fixed, forgot my preferred tobacco a few days ago before work, went to Bloomington using a vacation day yesterday and didn't have a good time at a B&M. Didn't have a good dinner at IHOP either.

• Love
Reactions: Zero