PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That is correct. Most of the "Burley blends" I smoke do indeed have some virginias, But not enough to bother me.

I do enjoy some MacBaren Burley flake and Old dark Fired (ODF is considered Burley, but I think its a whole other level).
But all I ever really smoke these days are blends by C&D
-Briar Fox
-Old Joe Krantz Blue
-Pegasus
-Burley flake 4

Some "Burley" Blends like Half and Half burn the heck out of my mouth. But I attribute that to the percentage of virginia (Half to be exact lol)

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
That is correct. Most of the "Burley blends" I smoke do indeed have some virginias, But not enough to bother me.

I do enjoy some MacBaren Burley flake and Old dark Fired (ODF is considered Burley, but I think its a whole other level).
But all I ever really smoke these days are blends by C&D
-Briar Fox
-Old Joe Krantz Blue
-Pegasus
-Burley flake 4

Some "Burley" Blends like Half and Half burn the heck out of my mouth. But I attribute that to the percentage of virginia (Half to be exact lol)

I haven’t tried any of these blends.
I’m going to check out the C&D blends. Thanks for the recommendations.

My dad smoked Half & Half when I was a kid back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s to help cut back on the Winston's, before he quit smoking all together. I plan to try it for the nostalgia. Hopefully it won’t burn my mouth too bad ha, ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: didimauw

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
EMP is smooth and easy to me.
While on the other hand, Briar Fox just scorched me and it's a big crowd pleaser?
Sometimes I don't think it makes any sense based on the individual components, it's rather how the unique "marriage" of the leaf occurred....

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
EMP is smooth and easy to me.
While on the other hand, Briar Fox just scorched me and it's a big crowd pleaser?
Sometimes I don't think it makes any sense based on the individual components, it's rather how the unique "marriage" of the leaf occurred....

I think you may be on to something. I have smoked other blends that contain red VA and not had a reaction beyond mild tingling on the tongue. But other types of Virginia can be tingling to me also. Could it be a specific Oriental? I do know that MM965 and Nightcap have Orientals and I enjoy these blends with no problem. Does EMP contain a different Oriental? I know nothing about Orientals. The descriptions state that EMP is stoved under pressure. Does this process amplify the chemical reaction? Oh, well. I will write EMP off and move on. It's not worth revisiting with all the other great tobaccos available. Hopefully, I will not have the same reaction with other tobaccos. As you stated with the "marriage" of leaf occurring, I think that EMP and Briar Fox are a perfect storm of tobacco and processing that hits us especially hard.

Reactions: FLDRD

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I kept a spreadsheet for the first 200ish blends I tried, not with lengthy notes, but just to help me figure out what I liked, with common components etc.

It seems a bit slow, but it took me 17 blends to find out I have a reaction to perique...

That is a good idea. I should get a notebook and record the specifics of blends that don't agree with me.