Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
  • Sad
Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The most frustrating thing in the collecting world is how people who haven't a stinking clue---but are assured they do, and are instructed by other people who haven't a stinking clue (courtesy of the Internet)---irretrievably screw up rare old pipes at their kitchen table.

Over and over and over again.

View attachment 306498
My Dad would have said that someone had money burning a hole in their pocket.

You never know the condition the pipe was in when the restorer received it - the bit issue indicates that the stummel might also have been abused before restoration began. I've had beat-to-hell pipes arrive that also had the stamping worn almost completely away - what are you going to do?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My Dad would have said that someone had money burning a hole in their pocket.

You never know the condition the pipe was in when the restorer received it - the bit issue indicates that the stummel might also have been abused before restoration began. I've had beat-to-hell pipes arrive that also had the stamping worn almost completely away - what are you going to do?
with decent pictures, at least you go in eyes wide open.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
with decent pictures, at least you go in eyes wide open.

Purely because of pipe forums - knowing how I might get roasted after a restored pipe of mine shows up on ebay - I am VERY hesitant to buy a pipe that has the label nearly gone or so much of the rim trashed that it will need an obvious topping, even if it's a fantastic deal and I really want to work on it. If I buy such pipes I often cover myself by posting B&A pics on a forum, or by just keeping the pipe and never letting anyone see my rescue effort.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The most frustrating thing in the collecting world is how people who haven't a stinking clue---but are assured they do, and are instructed by other people who haven't a stinking clue (courtesy of the Internet)---irretrievably screw up rare old pipes at their kitchen table.

Over and over and over again.

View attachment 306498
Teach me Sensi, what am i looking at here and why? Learning is good.

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Thought I should follow up on an earlier post...my Huybrecht Quaint for Richard Hacker arrived today; it's already had a couple of smokes through it, and they were great!
1000003002.jpg
I don't play in the big leagues, this purchase was a bit of a stretch, but I am now glad I got it. I'm happy to take care of this pipe until it passes on to the next pipe man

Dec 10, 2013
Thought I should follow up on an earlier post...my Huybrecht Quaint for Richard Hacker arrived today; it's already had a couple of smokes through it, and they were great!
View attachment 306771
I don't play in the big leagues, this purchase was a bit of a stretch, but I am now glad I got it. I'm happy to take care of this pipe until it passes on to the next pipe man
Beautiful pipe, congrats !
Glad it made it to one of our fellow members.

Dec 10, 2013
View attachment 306771
Can the lower ebonite part be taken off ?

Reactions: grimpeur

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Can the lower ebonite part be taken off ?
Yes. I believe that's the idea behind the Cavalier shape: to allow for quick and easy draining and cleaning. That lower piece is, much to my surprise, actually horn.
A fair bit of work went into the pipe. I think Hacker got a bargain at £37.50 in 1991.
I've had, decades ago, a couple of Dunhill Cavaliers pass through my hands. IIRC, the bottom piece was knurled. A very good idea; once everything is warmed up from smoking, it's quite difficult to remove.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
View attachment 306771
I have a Weber that would pass as a twin for that pipe, and it's a fantastic smoker. Congrats and enjoy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is a BIN, so feel free to grab it! I can see this one going for $1,000 at auction, but not $2,100...
Seller has a zero ebay rating.

1714646673231.jpeg

Dec 10, 2013
This is a BIN, so feel free to grab it! I can see this one going for $1,000 at auction, but not $2,100...
Seller has a zero ebay rating.

View attachment 307266
Apart from the absurd price:
zero clear pics. of the nomenclature, shipping from Ukraine $70,00 and 0 Ebay rating; I think not.