PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I was about to suggest Dark Birdseye but I see you’re already going there. Be very interested on what you discover
Went pretty good, and I’m pretty bummed that rustica and me don’t love each other, as the strength is perfect. I’m probably gonna grab some bulk Kendal Kentucky or DBE Vintage Cut since the Africans carry more N than the Americans it seems.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Went pretty good, and I’m pretty bummed that rustica and me don’t love each other, as the strength is perfect. I’m probably gonna grab some bulk Kendal Kentucky or DBE Vintage Cut since the Africans carry more N than the Americans it seems.
Its the same blend.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
It’s the same blend.
That’s what she said🤣

It’s not the same cut, and if they’re both available when I order I’ll probably opt for DBE Vintage Cut because in this little venture in faffing around, once I find a small mix (I’m only making samples of 3-4gr for tasting) I settle on, I’ll be pressing a few ounces and for that I’d prefer something thicker than the shag cut of DBE.
Plus I’m hanging on to the DBE I already have because it’s awesome.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Next up will be 1g Yorktown, 1g 507S, 1.5g ODF, 1.5g DBE and trying for the secret sauce aroma/flavor-just a pinch (.5g) of 1792.
I’ll have a couple more smokes of this to confirm, but I think this’ll be as close as I can come.
If a couple more smokes still have me feeling the same I’ll be switching from grams to ounces, mixing, vac sealing the batch to hang out in a pot of water at a luxurious 180* for an hour or so, then loading up the noodle press while the mess is warm and juicy to squish for a week or more.
While half the components aren’t quite cheap bulks, the product will be cheaper in the end than tinned product (even on sale), and will have been a worthwhile experience.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I decided to do up a just under 3oz batch, I figured that was a good size to work with.
I did 1/2oz each of Mac Baren Va#1 and Sutliff 507-S stoved Va, 3/4oz each of Dark BirdsEye and MacB HH Old Dark Fired RR, and .25oz of 1792 Flake. Each of these I processed as I figured would distribute them best in a mix and mixed them all up.IMG_0369.jpeg
Once mixed, they went into a vacuum bag and sucked down.IMG_0370.jpeg

This got a “boil in bag” treatment for an hour and fifteen at 175* +/-.
IMG_0371.jpeg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
After resting for a bit to mingle juices, it came out of the bag. The “tin note” of amazing BBQ filled the room. IMG_0373.jpeg

I had pre-cut Mylar discs to both seal the noodle press cap, and to separate the tobak into 3 separate 26g pucks. My first try, I had used parchment paper, but I think Mylar will do better.
IMG_0375.jpeg
IMG_0374.jpeg

All loaded up and ready to cap off and apply pressure.IMG_0376.jpeg

Now it sits on the shelf for at least a week, cranking it tighter every now and again.

More will be revealed…

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I decided to do up a just under 3oz batch, I figured that was a good size to work with.
I did 1/2oz each of Mac Baren Va#1 and Sutliff 507-S stoved Va, 3/4oz each of Dark BirdsEye and MacB HH Old Dark Fired RR, and .25oz of 1792 Flake. Each of these I processed as I figured would distribute them best in a mix and mixed them all up.View attachment 307567
Once mixed, they went into a vacuum bag and sucked down.View attachment 307569

This got a “boil in bag” treatment for an hour and fifteen at 175* +/-.
View attachment 307576

This is interesting! I have been creating my own blends for a few years, but have not used a vacuum bag yet (it's going to happen now!). The bag is plastic, no? Obviously, it did fine it 175 degree water. Just curious about that.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
This is interesting! I have been creating my own blends for a few years, but have not used a vacuum bag yet (it's going to happen now!). The bag is plastic, no? Obviously, it did fine it 175 degree water. Just curious about that.
While foodsaver type bags are not cellar material, I figured they’re made for “boil in bag” meal prep so I tried them last year to “stove” some fresh 507C and NM400 Virginia flakes with good results.
Biggest thing is to make sure the seal doesn’t have any crumbs or they’ll leak.
I used the colander to keep bag from direct heat of pot instead of weighting the bag to bottom where it may catch too much heat transfer.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Well, today’s the day.
I’m sampling some of my Pikey Caravan Puck in the 1930’s Kaywoodie Pup.
Very dense, moist puck. Slices easily and rubs out easily like War Horse.
Moisture level seems great right off. Takes a light well and is burning well. Flavor is much better as a homogenous entity from the sous-vide and pressing than the mixed sample was. Flavor is solidly between medium-strong, the Virginia and Dark Fired neck and neck (Va more stewed than citrusy). The 15-20% 1792 tonquin lurks throughout, but more of an “I can’t quite put my finger on it” than as a feature. The spice note on retro is about same as Irish Flake. The nic hit builds as bowl goes on much like the target blend does. Not very wet, but needs a couple relights. No bite, even chugging along in a clench. Nice aftertaste that lingers for a bit.
4/4
All in all, I’m very happy with the result, I’m not sure if I’ll be keeping this as a backup to Irish Flake, or keeping Irish Flake as a backup to this!
I do know I’ll be ordering enough to pack a quart jar of the mix to make picks at my leisure.IMG_0452.jpegIMG_0453.jpegIMG_0454.jpegIMG_0455.jpegIMG_0456.jpegIMG_0457.jpeg

Roach1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
Good morning,
How would this compare ro Rattrays Stirling Flake? Just interested as I read it is comparable to Irish flake.