PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I have a tin of GLP Jackknife Plug from 2014 that has been opened for 2 yrs. Its my 2nd tin smoked since release. The first was painful. I smoked right after release and all the hubub. I hated it. Took me a couple years to finish the tin i think.

Now my 2nd tin (2014) is halfway gone after being opened 2 yrs. Ive likewise hated it. About 6 months ago i went ahead and broke down the brownie in the hopes it might breathe a bit more and encourage me to go through it quicker just to get it over with. Also kinda hoping it'd just go moldy. 😅 I smoke maybe a bowl a month at most. Its always horrible.

Until my last 3 bowls from this week.... WTF! It's the BEST non-lat blend ive ever smoked! Soooo good!

The only other DFK-forward blends ive tried are HH DFK and MM's country gentleman. Both are fantastic, but not enough to make me want to exclusively smoke or abandon my lat blends. But i do really enjoy a few bowls a month from them.

Not sure what changed in jackknife plug, but im suddenly sad it will be gone soon and simultaneously bewildered at how this happened.

Did my tastes change, or did the blend? I've got one more tin from 2014 to crack. Im wondering if i should crack it now and break it up so it can breathe for 2 yrs before i can enjoy it finally.

Pipesmoking is an f'n wild ride y'all!

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Haha I can relate. I opened a fresh tin and it was a bit sharp. I then got a tin with a little over ten years of age and it was love at first bowl. Deep, earthy, a little sweet, very satisfying.

I still have the original fresh tin resting in a jar. It’s been a year and I will try it again. It’s nice knowing the tins in your cellar will age with grace.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California

Did my tastes change, or did the blend?

Pipesmoking is an f'n wild ride y'all!
Good question. Maybe both?

I go through spells where I don't even want to be in the same zip code as Latakia. Then, out of nowhere, I crave it. And not like "normal" Latakia blends either, I want a Lat Bomb (Gaslight, Pirate Kake, etc). So strange. And, like your experience, I get this with DFK to an extent. I bought a decent amount of G&H Dark Birdseye (bulk). It was almost all I smoked for about a week and a half. And then, nothing. Jarred and shelved until that next wave hits.

Yeah, it's quite a ride. Better buckle up!

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Good question. Maybe both?

I go through spells where I don't even want to be in the same zip code as Latakia. Then, out of nowhere, I crave it. And not like "normal" Latakia blends either, I want a Lat Bomb (Gaslight, Pirate Kake, etc). So strange. And, like your experience, I get this with DFK to an extent. I bought a decent amount of G&H Dark Birdseye (bulk). It was almost all I smoked for about a week and a half. And then, nothing. Jarred and shelved until that next wave hits.

Yeah, it's quite a ride. Better buckle up!
Its fun but it sure does make it hard to cellar what you like. 😅

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Smoke was fine. I hate prepping plugs.
Same, I tend to avoid any plugs that aren't like the C&D/Warped ones that you can just tear apart and get a consistent smoke. I hate slicing plugs, seems no matter how sharp the knife, they always just want to tear rather than cut, then it makes a big mess.

That's why I got the ready rubbed version of Jackknife on that GLP sale a little while back.

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Same, I tend to avoid any plugs that aren't like the C&D/Warped ones that you can just tear apart and get a consistent smoke. I hate slicing plugs, seems no matter how sharp the knife, they always just want to tear rather than cut, then it makes a big mess.

That's why I got the ready rubbed version of Jackknife on that GLP sale a little while back.
I understand why there are plugs, flakes and coins. But in the end, I just want to smoke. I usually smoke the tobacco as they come, but some are just a pain in the ass.

Reactions: sardonicus87

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I understand why there are plugs, flakes and coins. But in the end, I just want to smoke. I usually smoke the tobacco as they come, but some are just a pain in the ass.
61aJM7OKxgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Smoking some 2 year old right now and it's very nice, maybe a slight edge to it. Have some 8 oz. tins taking a long nap, will report back in about 8 years. :)
I had some 5-6 year old Triple Play that I popped and blasted through it was so good.

I did the same with two 8 oz. tins. They nappin.

These GLP plugs are really nice! I suppose the next one I pop will be JKP now...

Reactions: woodrow

blacklucast

Lurker
Jan 8, 2018
I liked it as well. I hated dealing with the dense plug so I bought the ready rubbed version when I was done with the JKP I was working on.

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
That's weird. Open that other tin now!

Hows the nic hit? I've been interested in the Jackknife plug but it seems kinda strong?