PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've got a question for Jim! I read that you were a co-creator of Watch City Cigar's Rouxgaroux blend with Ernie Q, so I was just wondering if there are any other blends you had a hand in the creation of or if Rouxgaroux was a one off?puffy
For Watch City: Rouxgaroux, Simply Orange, American Cut Plug Mixture, and Simply VOriental.

For Wilke: Peanut Butter and Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Wilke Lizzie Blood Virginia English, Wall Street, Back Bay, Rum and Maple, Mediterranean Nights, Red Oriental, Vice Cat, Dark Oriental, Little Round Top, Picket’s Charge, LIPC Dehavilind, and LIPC Long Island Sound. John consulted me on several others, too.

For Sutliff: 1849.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
For Watch City: Rouxgaroux, Simply Orange, American Cut Plug Mixture, and Simply VOriental.

For Wilke: Peanut Butter and Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Wilke Lizzie Blood Virginia English, Wall Street, Back Bay, Rum and Maple, Mediterranean Nights, Red Oriental, Vice Cat, Dark Oriental, Little Round Top, Picket’s Charge, LIPC Dehavilind, and LIPC Long Island Sound. John consulted me on several others, too.

For Sutliff: 1849.

Wowzers, that's a ton of blends! I picked up a couple ounces of Rouxgaroux yesterday and am really looking forward to trying it, and I may have to snag a tin of 1849 at some point!

On a side note, thank you for your many (many) years of work on Sonic the Hedgehog! That was my absolute favorite comic growing up and brought me innumerable hours of enjoyment as a child and teenager. 🥰

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wowzers, that's a ton of blends! I picked up a couple ounces of Rouxgaroux yesterday and am really looking forward to trying it, and I may have to snag a tin of 1849 at some point!

On a side note, thank you for your many (many) years of work on Sonic the Hedgehog! That was my absolute favorite comic growing up and brought me innumerable hours of enjoyment as a child and teenager. 🥰
Thanks for the kind words about the blends. And I greatly thank you for your comments regarding my twenty-one years as a Sonic the Hedgehog artist. I loved those characters, and wish I was still an artist on that comic.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Thanks for the kind words about the blends. And I greatly thank you for your comments regarding my twenty-one years as a Sonic the Hedgehog artist. I loved those characters, and wish I was still an artist on that comic.

I sure loved all those characters too, they were a huge part of my childhood! Tails was always my favorite character, did you have a favorite character to draw? And it's a darn shame they didn't keep you on after the first handful of issues when IDW took over, but 21 years is still an amazing run for any publication! I'll let the thread get back to pipe related subjects, but I just had to mention how much I've appreciated the work you've done in the artistic side of your life too. It had a pretty huge impact on me when I was young, and if my avatar is any indication it's probably been one that's lasted to today. 😅

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I sure loved all those characters too, they were a huge part of my childhood! Tails was always my favorite character, did you have a favorite character to draw? And it's a darn shame they didn't keep you on after the first handful of issues when IDW took over, but 21 years is still an amazing run for any publication! I'll let the thread get back to pipe related subjects, but I just had to mention how much I've appreciated the work you've done in the artistic side of your life too. It had a pretty huge impact on me when I was young, and if my avatar is any indication it's probably been one that's lasted to today. 😅
I'm very honored to hear your praise about my Sonic work. Comics are a hard business to stay employed in, and I've managed to freelance for 33 years so far. Not many make much money, there's no health benefits, and the deadlines can be tough at times, but it's worth it to know that some people reading them will feel the way I did when I was a reader and collector.

Sonic was always my favorite character.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I've been on this forum since 2014. I had just started smoking a pipe. I was incredulous to see how many bowls of tobacco Jiminks was reporting daily on the ways thread and couldn't believe anyone could possibly taste anything after so many bowls. Then I began to learn.
Besides the consistency and the amazing catalog of reviews we've been given, is the promise of a cornucopia of flavors HE can taste, and hopefully, we can too.
I usually look for two reviewers when I check a blend. The first is always JimInks. The second is Pipestud.

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
View attachment 300090View attachment 300091View attachment 300092
Here it is @JimInks ! It finally arrived after three and a half months in the transit from Great Britain.

Let it be known that the first ever photos I posted on this site was for the honourable Mr. JimInks.

I will send this off for restoration soon to my friend in Vancouver. I can hardly wait to smoke this pipe when it is all cleaned up.
That stem will need a good 24 hours in the Oxy bath!! Vancouver must mean Steve. You're in good hands! Can't wait to see it all cleaned up. Nice pipe!

Reactions: JimInks
Jan 7, 2024
I had no idea that I owe my beloved Edward G. Robinson to JimInks!! Thanks from the bottom of my heart Jim.. I just googled you because I had to see who this magic man is, and now I feel like I've had one of those chance encounters with a significant person. If only at a distance. I've never been part of the pipe community, because I really never knew there was one. But I know now.. Anyone who hasn't read this, should.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I had no idea that I owe my beloved Edward G. Robinson to JimInks!! Thanks from the bottom of my heart Jim.. I just googled you because I had to see who this magic man is, and now I feel like I've had one of those chance encounters with a significant person. If only at a distance. I've never been part of the pipe community, because I really never knew there was one. But I know now.. Anyone who hasn't read this, should.

Welcome to the forum. And I thank you for the kind words.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@JimInks : Jim you are being too modest. You left out your work on the Standard Tobacco Company of PA release of War Horse RR and Bar which would never have seen the light of day without you testing every damned iteration blended by Russ until they got it right. If I am ever tempted to try a new tobacco blend I tend to talk to Jim first since he has a unique ability to know what I will enjoy. If you ever get the chance to meet the man I would really recommend it as he is very good company.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
The best part of Jim's reviews is the consistency of them. Whether we agree or not with a rating (and it sometimes happens), after a few blends and reviews, we get a sense of what he's calling a "grassy" or "bready" Virginia is for example. As I figure that out, I'm able to "decode" subjective tastes and apply them to blends I'm curious about. It's really quite a service.

A fun little anecdote for us all. I was reading an interview Jim gave a while back, for the life of me i forgot whose interview or when exactly. My (then preteen) son was in the room with me, we're both on our phones doing different things. I finished the interview, I asked him what he was doing. Oh, just reading about an illustrator of some comic books he likes. He knows I'm not into comic books at all, just not my thing. So my son tells me about this illustrator and the incredible breadth of work. Oh? That sounds cool. What's his name? You've never heard of him, Dad, because you don't like comics. His name is Jim Amash. Here's some of his work, and he shows me a few panels online from a Sonic comic. I don't know, I thought that was pretty funny at the time.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
@JimInks : Jim you are being too modest. You left out your work on the Standard Tobacco Company of PA release of War Horse RR and Bar which would never have seen the light of day without you testing every damned iteration blended by Russ until they got it right. If I am ever tempted to try a new tobacco blend I tend to talk to Jim first since he has a unique ability to know what I will enjoy. If you ever get the chance to meet the man I would really recommend it as he is very good company.
I can say the same things about you, my friend.

The best part of Jim's reviews is the consistency of them. Whether we agree or not with a rating (and it sometimes happens), after a few blends and reviews, we get a sense of what he's calling a "grassy" or "bready" Virginia is for example. As I figure that out, I'm able to "decode" subjective tastes and apply them to blends I'm curious about. It's really quite a service.

A fun little anecdote for us all. I was reading an interview Jim gave a while back, for the life of me i forgot whose interview or when exactly. My (then preteen) son was in the room with me, we're both on our phones doing different things. I finished the interview, I asked him what he was doing. Oh, just reading about an illustrator of some comic books he likes. He knows I'm not into comic books at all, just not my thing. So my son tells me about this illustrator and the incredible breadth of work. Oh? That sounds cool. What's his name? You've never heard of him, Dad, because you don't like comics. His name is Jim Amash. Here's some of his work, and he shows me a few panels online from a Sonic comic. I don't know, I thought that was pretty funny at the time.
THAT is funny!! And thanks for the kind words. Bw, my ratings have nothing to do with my personal taste.I rank blends against similar blends. There are times I've given blends a higher rating than my personal preferences would agree with.

Mr Inks, I just have to ask, do you wake up in the morning, piss excellence, look in the mirror and say "God damn, it's going to be another great day, you handsome son of a bitch!" ?
Not before I reach for a bowl of EGR! rotf nnnn

rmcnabb

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2024
I really appreciate and enjoy JimInks reviews, but not for the palate notes, which I know I'm just genetically not predisposed to pick up. I don't know what a "dry soda" flavor is for instance. Palate is such a personal thing based on personal experience and how YOU taste the world (how differently do people salt and pepper their food after all?)

But the great benefit for me personally is a great sense of history and comparison of old vs. new. I'll never smoke any 1980's Balkan Sobranie for instance - I'm not paying money for unicorns - and if I did, it wouldn't taste like it did in 1980. But you sir smoked it in 1980, and you've smoked 1980 tobacco today, and you're smoking the tobaccos that claim to match it - and then you collate all that data into one review, and that's pretty priceless.

If you say a tobacco is well made from quality components and is delicious for a variety of reasons, that's plenty good enough for me to try it and see if I like it. If you give it the thumbs down, that's basically all I need to know. Life's too short. Too many different flavors of chocolate out there. Brian Doran (Beans316 on Youtube) is a similar signpost for me in this manner. No muss, no fuss, just experience and an honest opinion. Pretty rare these days in an age of instant experts and enthusiasts who give everything 5 stars.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I really appreciate and enjoy JimInks reviews, but not for the palate notes, which I know I'm just genetically not predisposed to pick up. I don't know what a "dry soda" flavor is for instance. Palate is such a personal thing based on personal experience and how YOU taste the world (how differently do people salt and pepper their food after all?)

It took me a bit to decode his reviews. For a while, I would read his review while smoking the blend. After a while, by finding common descriptions of common leaves in multiple blends, I've come to figure out my understanding of his descriptions of taste and strength. Often for the life of me I cannot find what he's talking about. But when I see the same terms being used over and over, after a bit it becomes easier to pick out what Jim's talking about, even if I don't agree with the description.