PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
The top Campus’ only markings are KAYWOODIE over CAMPUS,
The bottom is KAYWOODIE over CAMPUS over IMPORTED BRIAR.

My question is did anyone know the relevance of the different clover logos on stem? Is it a date or grade thing? It’s my understanding that Campus pipes are anywhere from 1957 onward, but I haven’t found anything that would date either to a specific era.
IMG_0479.jpeg

Reactions: lordofthepiperings

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Essentially you have it right. The round insert was usually an indicator of a higher end pipe, with the white clover being reserved for lower end lines. This was not, however, consistent. Flaws appearing would lower the grade but the stem may have already gotten the circle. Also, Campus pipes were kind of outliers anyway. It may simply be that one put whatever they wanted on these.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Essentially you have it right. The round insert was usually an indicator of a higher end pipe, with the white clover being reserved for lower end lines. This was not, however, consistent. Flaws appearing would lower the grade but the stem may have already gotten the circle. Also, Campus pipes were kind of outliers anyway. It may simply be that one put whatever they wanted on these.
Thanks for the reply Nathan, I know you’re swamped.
All that’s kinda what I figured-the apple has one good sized sand pit, and the belgique was sexy enough to get painted.
I was just curious if the circle was done for a while then switched to plain clover on the line, but it’s probably an example of the consistent inconsistencies that make Kaywoodies so fun!
Bottom line, they smoke well and I’m gonna hug them and squeeze them and call them George…