PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Good Day All;
There is another thread discussing pipe learning / purchase mistakes, by mso489. I believe that it’s more a pipe learning “evolution / learning to adapt” scheme.
Be warned this is more than a little long winded.
In the beginning, as pipe enjoyers, we begin with less expensive pipes. We learn about various tobaccos and work our way through all the possible variations of both pipes and tobaccos, until we find ( or some of us find ) what fits our needs and pocket books best. From there we build a collection that we enjoy.
However, that is not the only possibility, as I recently learned or have had to adapt to.
At the last West Coast Pipe Show I was offered some very old Penzance to smoke. I was solely a Virginia smoker. Alost all blends with Latakia did not work for me. The “campfire” smokiness was a flavor I did not find pleasant, as many others do. This old Penzance opened my eyes. It was smooth, cool, mild, yet flavorful. I began my search for some of this blend, but wanted old product. After seeing the prices being asked on E-Bay I decided that while it was enjoyable, it was not $200.00 for 8 oz, enjoyable.
It did also open my eyes and taste buds to the Esoterica tobaccos though, almost all of which I’d never tried. It’s not available in this market at the few places one might buy tobacco. So to tobacco reviews I went to learn what I could and happened upon two blends which sounded interesting. Dorchester and Dunbar. Both Virginia’s with ( according to tobacco reviews ), no topping agents. On the topping, tobacco reviews is incorrect. From the tin or bag, I can get the faint aroma of some type of topping or casing. Not unpleasant, nor over powering, but present.
To E-Bay I went and purchased an 8 oz bag of each. Plus a tin of each, which I bought from a member of this forum, as luck would have it. The tins arrived, but it was not just Dorchester and Dunbar. The seller added a tin of Tilbury. Thanks Tim!!
I have now tried all three and enjoy each one. They are similar, yet different. All smooth and very pleasant. That being said, the first bowl of Dorchester, did not impress me at all. It was like damp steam with no flavor. Luckily I read this forum and Jesse mentioned that these tobaccos need to be dried out. So I did as Jesse suggested and an amazing transformation occurred. Dorchester blossomed into a lovely Virginia. Flavor, with zero bite. Quite different that my normal Virginia blends of choice. Not that they are bad, but they all have a slight tongue tingle element. I did the same with the Dunbar and Tilbury with the same results. FWIW I am sitting at my work office with 2 ounces of Dorchester laying on some paper to dry out, to pouch and use for the next week.
That is not all the evolution I have gone through since the show.
After countless years of hen pecking by SWMBO, I finally went to the Dr to arrange a sleep test to see if there was something that might be done for my snoring. I am now the unhappy owner of a CPAP device, which indeed has helped my snoring, yet not without side effects. Sleeping with the device I now keep my mouth closed tight. Many of you that know me probably think that’s a good thing. Anyway, due to this I have found that the majority of my pipes have gone from clenchers to hand holders, as they bother my teeth. Any of my pipes with even the slightest stem thickness bother my teeth.
Time to cull and re direct my pipe collection. From pipes weighing around 50 grams I have now had to adjust / adapt to pipes under 30 grams, if I want to smoke while holding a pipe in my teeth. Hard Lucite stems are not comfortable in any way, so now I must move to Ebonite. All of my beloved Castello’s will be relegated to pipes that stay at home and are hand holders, or will need to find new homes.
So while there is a learning curve most of us have gone through, there is also learning to adapt to life’s little curves.
Michael J. Glukler
Ps – this is also a warning to all that collect smaller British pipes. There is now another player chasing the same pipes as you.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I agree, there is a lot of adaptation involved when you start to smoke a pipe. Just learning packing methods and smoking cadence have preoccupied more than enough time in my head this past year. Mistakes are made and learned from, to be sure, but I have found that I have to adapt to the new pipes and tobaccos I've tried, and that is the most fun. :)

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
As a newbie to pipe smoking I don't have any context so I have a question for you older guys -- how long were you smoking a pipe before you settled into a rhythm (understanding fully that this will change too? When i first started with cigars I smoked everything i could get my hands on. It was probably three years before I purchased my first box because it took that long to develop my palate and understand what I like. Now there are less than a dozen or so that i kind of cycle through with room in mu humidor for new things and special releases (though that has certainly slowed down with the new rules). I assume that it will be similar with pipe tobacco but with the added piece of trying to find pipe shapes/styles that I like

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To borrow from the Rolling Stones, there's always a balance between what you want and what you need. Pipe carvers like to use big expensive gorgeous blocks of briar to exercise their full powers and charge according. Often, smaller pipes are more serviceable, or at least medium (approx. Group 4 pipes) are more versatile. I've found that when I'm smoking a smaller pipe, and want a longer smoke, flake/plug/rope can give me a long smoke out of a medium to small pipe. I like my bigger pipes, but they sure aren't clenchers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Damn it Mike, now I've suffering a craving for Dorchester! But I will maintain my composure, at least for the time being as I want to smoke down the jarred stuff before I open a bag and I can't find the damned jars!
Sometimes it all seems more like wack-a-mole than anything else.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
So have you tried a bite guard? Or its my understanding their are a few different types of CPAP attachments for the user to wear. Have you tried any of the other ones?

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
snag, Thanks, but it took me a while to get used to wearing the whole head strap deal and learning to sleep with a long hose getting in the way of any sleep movement. LOL I doubt sleeping with a tooth / mouth guard would add to my comfort.
Yes there are a variety of CPAP machine set ups. I could try one that covers both nose and mouth, which I may do, but for now the nose covering one, is enough to help.
Besides it's always fun to alter ones collection, ( read buy new / more pipes ) and have a justifiable reason. LOL
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Status
Not open for further replies.