PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcpearce2010

Lurker
May 11, 2024
Good Afternoon All,

I m looking for a little help with a pipe i have seen for sale, its a gift for my father who has always smoked barlings pipes. I have been looking for an extremely long time trying to find a direct replacement for one that got broken a few years ago. It has taken me until today to finally see a 103 Regent Which is the exact model he lost. Its currently up for sale on Ebay and my pipe knowledge is little to none apart from what i could ascertain of the damaged one. I'm a little worried as from my understanding most silver marked 1920s Barlings seem to demand a crazy price as i cant ever seem to find one until today ! I don't want to crazy overboard on the price but also want to be able to replace it as a surprise. The one I've seen seems to have a bit of a mucky bowl but appears undamaged. Would anyone be able to let me know the best way or how i would go about getting it cleaned for him if i win it? I'm hoping that i may be able to get for around £100 but unsure if this is for want of a better word a bit of a pipe dream. Apologies if this is all a little vague and novice but its nothing i really know anything about! i Was surprised how hard it was to find!

Kind regards for all your help. I have attached a link (if I'm allowed) and would appreciate all the help i can get !

Thanks All Dan

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Good Afternoon All,

I m looking for a little help with a pipe i have seen for sale, its a gift for my father who has always smoked barlings pipes. I have been looking for an extremely long time trying to find a direct replacement for one that got broken a few years ago. It has taken me until today to finally see a 103 Regent Which is the exact model he lost. Its currently up for sale on Ebay and my pipe knowledge is little to none apart from what i could ascertain of the damaged one. I'm a little worried as from my understanding most silver marked 1920s Barlings seem to demand a crazy price as i cant ever seem to find one until today ! I don't want to crazy overboard on the price but also want to be able to replace it as a surprise. The one I've seen seems to have a bit of a mucky bowl but appears undamaged. Would anyone be able to let me know the best way or how i would go about getting it cleaned for him if i win it? I'm hoping that i may be able to get for around £100 but unsure if this is for want of a better word a bit of a pipe dream. Apologies if this is all a little vague and novice but its nothing i really know anything about! i Was surprised how hard it was to find!

Kind regards for all your help. I have attached a link (if I'm allowed) and would appreciate all the help i can get !

Thanks All Dan
It would help to know your location to be able to recommend where you could get it cleaned,if Uk

it does appear to have quite a lot of knife damage on the inner rim though,but may just be lava.However we are talking about a 100 year old pipe

Last edited:

dcpearce2010

Lurker
May 11, 2024
Sorry, yes here in the UK. I thought it was mainly just lava. That said it's in for better condition than the one that was damaged before it was broken. Hopefully it doesn't go to wild price whise been looking for too long !

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sorry, yes here in the UK. I thought it was mainly just lava. That said it's in for better condition than the one that was damaged before it was broken. Hopefully it doesn't go to wild price whise been looking for too long !
I hope that get your wish! One thing working in your favor is that the seller is using eBay's infamous Global Seizing Stealing Shipping Service for overseas shipping. For experienced buyers, that's becoming a deal breaker. Less competition might accrue to your benefit.

dcpearce2010

Lurker
May 11, 2024
I hope that get your wish! One thing working in your favor is that the seller is using eBay's infamous Global Seizing Stealing Shipping Service for overseas shipping. For experienced buyers, that's becoming a deal breaker. Less competition might accrue to your benefit.
I've always been quite lucky buying overseas with them, however never a tobacco related product. Honestly this has been the daftest and most long winded purchase of anything I've ever tried. It had a lot of sentiment and I couldn't believe how hard it's been to track down the same one ! He was given it by his father as a gift, and turns out this particular model / shape etc has proven a nightmare to find. Wish I had seen this group sooner !

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've always been quite lucky buying overseas with them, however never a tobacco related product. Honestly this has been the daftest and most long winded purchase of anything I've ever tried. It had a lot of sentiment and I couldn't believe how hard it's been to track down the same one ! He was given it by his father as a gift, and turns out this particular model / shape etc has proven a nightmare to find. Wish I had seen this group sooner !
You can spend years, sometimes decades, searching for a particular vintage pipe model. It's a combination of determined searching and dumb luck.

Both you and the seller are in the UK, so Global Thieving Shipping won't be involved, but they have been a scourge of tobacco related items for at least a decade.

Reactions: kcghost

dcpearce2010

Lurker
May 11, 2024
Thanks everyone for your help ! It's currently bid over £100 I'm a little worried it's going to end up out of my budget. Before I go too mad is this supposed to be a particularly expensive pipe or any reason it would be bid up so much? I'm still committed to trying to get it for my dad but hoping it doesn't go to wild !!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks everyone for your help ! It's currently bid over £100 I'm a little worried it's going to end up out of my budget. Before I go too mad is this supposed to be a particularly expensive pipe or any reason it would be bid up so much? I'm still committed to trying to get it for my dad but hoping it doesn't go to wild !!
The earliest hallmarked barling I have come across with a model number stamped on the shank under the barling’s make logo was from 1923. This also appears to have one.

Reactions: kcghost