PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I was just doing some perusing on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist and saw a posting from Ada and Oakland Country looking for old pipes. Just wondering if that’s one of the guys here.

Reactions: trudger and Laurent

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Thanks for the shout-out @The Amish Tyrant and hello fellow Michiganders.
Just wanted to let everyone know that the pipe club I belong to in the Metro Detroit area been quite active lately.

Downriver Michigan Pipe Smoking Club | Facebook
Downriver Pipe Club - United Pipe Clubs of America

We currently meet every last Sunday of the month in Trenton, MI. 4-7pm.
We do plan on having random meet-ups during the coming months too.
Happy to bring you into the fold.

It has looked like the club has been very active lately. Sorry I haven't been able to attend yet, but I may be able to make it eventually or on a "one off" day. I didn't want to announce the club since I figured it was yours to share (and am glad you finally stopped in the thread to say hello).

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
My sister lives in TC and I'm visiting this summer.

Whereabouts is Nolan's and what do you recommend?
Nolan’s is on front street. This is the first time I’ve bought their tobacco blends. This one was good. They don’t have a large selection of pipes but what is great is that you can smoke a cigar in their bar, which is in the back of the store. They make really good cocktails. I wish you could have a pipe but law doesn’t allow it just cigars.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
We really need to plan a couple meetups this summer, given how many of us there are. I'm an hour north of Lansing but willing to travel further for a good (smokey) cause. Perhaps flashmob (with permission, of course) a couple of local club meetings in Trenton or GR?
Agreed.

In previously speaking with @AroEnglish , the intent on starting this thread (I believe) was to take a head count and possibly plan some gatherings while getting to know each other a little better.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Agreed.p

In previously speaking with @AroEnglish , the intent on starting this thread (I believe) was to take a head count and possibly plan some gatherings while getting to know each other a little better.
Yeah let’s get it done! I think the factors for finding a good spot are 1.) location and 2.) travel time. I think we’ll have to balance these two things.

I think Lansing would be good for everyone to travel to but there’s not a good spot to meet except Campbell's but that only works if like 4 people are coming.

Indian River Tobacco Traders in GR appears to have a nice lounge but would be quite the drive for the folks on the east side of the state.

Paul's is also a bit more central but I didn't see a sitting area when I was there.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Yeah let’s get it done! I think the factors for finding a good spot are 1.) location and 2.) travel time. I think we’ll have to balance these two things.

I think Lansing would be good for everyone to travel to but there’s not a good spot to meet except Campbell's but that only works if like 4 people are coming.

Indian River Tobacco Traders in GR appears to have a nice lounge but would be quite the drive for the folks on the east side of the state.

Paul's is also a bit more central but I didn't see a sitting area when I was there.
Regarding Lansing (Campbell's) and Flint (Paul's), both can seat maybe 4 people (with it being very crowded in both).

Note Lansing in general is against smoking and East Lansing has a smoking ban on campus (I'm not sure if the ban went in effect off campus too).

Reactions: Laurent