PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Since purchasing it I had only used this deck to replay cassettes recorded on my old Akai machine from an on-line source. This morning I recorded a number of favorite tracks (using the deck's dbx noise-reduction) from that same on-line source and the improvement in audio quality is simply startling! And this from a machine that is more than 40-years old. It's a testament to Yamaha's engineering and build quality.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
As soon as I could afford one, I bought a stereo with dual cassette decks to make mixed tapes.

I still have a few mixed tapes that transcende me to certain times and places in life (both good and bad). Music got me through a lot of rough times ...

• Love
Reactions: PaulRVA

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think I went through most of the analog formats, but my favorite time was a reel tape deck. A lot of splicing and dicing!

Now I am 100% digital, and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to anything earlier.

Great that many enjoy the more vintage stuff.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I think I went through most of the analog formats, but my favorite time was a reel tape deck. A lot of splicing and dicing!

Now I am 100% digital, and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to anything earlier.

Great that many enjoy the more vintage stuff.
When I was in school for radio/television/film, open reel was quality standard. I had two open reel decks, a 4-track and a 1/2 track. Both gone now. No more demagnetizing razor blades!

FWIW, cassettes were lousy. Even with a high-end deck, the format sucked. Slow moving, narrow tape. Trying to squeeze too much information into too small a space. And most people never maintained their decks, anyways, such as cleaning the heads and demagnetizing all the metal bits that came into contact with the tape.

Last edited:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
...but my favorite time was a reel tape deck.

My high school's band room was equipped with a studio-quality recording and playback system that made me drool and dream. Magnecord reel-to-reel deck with tube pre-amp, Phillips microphones, two Thorens turntables, Crown amplifiers, and original Klipschorn loud speakers. Our Band Director would record our pre-concert rehearsals and then play them back through those marvelous, huge, folded-horns. The quality of the recording (at 15 IPS) was outstanding!

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
When I was in school for radio/television/film, open reel was quality standard. I had two open reel decks, a 4-track and a 1/2 track. Both gone now. No more demagnetizing razor blades!

FWIW, cassettes were lousy. Even with a high-end deck, the format sucked. Slow moving, narrow tape. Trying to squeeze too much information into too small a space. And most people never maintained their decks, anyways, such as cleaning the heads and demagnetizing all the metal bits that came into contact with the tape.
My thoughts exactly about tapes. She asked me if I wanted to buy them and I quickly said no but I would see if I could get couple of bucks out of it for the lot for her. I’m going into town tomorrow and there is a store that sells vintage media. They want to look at them.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Tape degrades over time, both physically and magnetically. Thin-base tapes like that used on all commercially produced cassettes are subject to "print through" where one wrap of tape prints magnetically onto the adjacent tape. CD's and DVD's degrade, too, but they did improve in quality over time. The early recordable CD's were really problematic and if you have any, get them transferred as as soon as possible!

Reactions: ak2000

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Still have Sony set somewhere. Cassette was mainly for the Walkman, Sony. When CDs came out I jumped the ship rather quickly. Then when MP3 players came out, got Sony. Personally, I didn't really care about the cassettes. They wear out too quickly.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No more lo-fi than a LP at the high end. Nakamichi decks were as audiophile as top turntables in the 80s.
Sorry, but the facts do not support that claim. The only reason companies produced those pimped out cassette machines is that there were morons that would buy them. It’s like building a Ferrari, but with a Lada engine. No matter how nice the car is, the core is fundamentally flawed.

ak2000

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
Tape degrades over time, both physically and magnetically. Thin-base tapes like that used on all commercially produced cassettes are subject to "print through" where one wrap of tape prints magnetically onto the adjacent tape. CD's and DVD's degrade, too, but they did improve in quality over time. The early recordable CD's were really problematic and if you have any, get them transferred as as soon as possible!
LP records degrade as well.

Sorry, but the facts do not support that claim. The only reason companies produced those pimped out cassette machines is that there were morons that would buy them. It’s like building a Ferrari, but with a Lada engine. No matter how nice the car is, the core is fundamentally flawed.

You know that all recordings were done on tape before digital. Is cassette tape the best medium for high quality sound reproduction, no, but neither are LP records. I'm not talking about mass produced pre-recorded tapes, I'm talking about live recordings or audiophile tapes. If we're going to talk high end, then let's talk high end. Your statement is fundamentally flawed. There are huge differences between common low grade commercial hardware and recordings and high end hardware and recordings.

• Sad
Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
LP records degrade as well.

You know that all recordings were done on tape before digital. Is cassette tape the best medium for high quality sound reproduction, no, but neither are LP records. I'm not talking about mass produced pre-recorded tapes, I'm talking about live recordings or audiophile tapes. If we're going to talk high end, then let's talk high end. Your statement is fundamentally flawed. There are huge differences between common low grade commercial hardware and recordings and high end hardware and recordings.
What is fundamentally flawed is the cassette itself. It’s the weak link. Slow moving, narrow tape. The hardware makes little difference when the limitations are baked into the cassette format.

Reactions: fireground_piper