PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheHellYeah

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Porto, Portugal
instagram.com
Hello everyone,

I started on this pipe universe a month ago with a little joke buying a RAW brand pipe which I already read here it’s a rubbish pipe. Although I’m still a newbie, I can control my smoking pace, the density of my bowls and the daily cleaning process, due to lots of info you can find here and in the www in general.
Although I don’t find that RAW pipe to be that bad as I read, I’ve started to acquire new pipes to my collection. I bought a cheap corncob at a local store, a Savinelli starter kit with a Savinelli One 321 rusticated pipe and then I’ve heard about estate pipes. Since I didn’t want to spend too much money I started looking in eBay type site from Portugal and went on to buy a Peterson Kildare 82S and a Peterson Killarney 406.
The Kildare came in good shape and clean only with some bite marks on the stem along with some decolouration.
The Killarney on the other hand, although aesthetically is(or was) perfect wasn’t cleaned so I researched a bit and started doing it my self. I took the stem out, filled the bowl with sea salt(although I read somewhere I should only use kosher salt) and mixed it with cheap whiskey I had around the house(40% alc) and I’m letting it sit for 24 hours. Unfortunately, during this process I needed to pick up the stem and had my fingers with some drops of whiskey and the stem started to lose the black colour and some red/brown stains started to appear. My questions are:

Can I reverse this process?
Is extra virgin olive oil good to return the polished black look on the stem? And if so, should I use sandpaper on the stem before applying it?

Since english is not my native language, sorry in advance if something is not well written.

Greetings to all pipe smokers and I hope to share my future path in this adventure with all of you!

Last edited by a moderator:

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
It sounds like the alcohol caused some oxidation to appear. You can use some very fine sanding pads or even a little toothpaste to remove the spots. Olive oil can be applied and buffed off with a soft cloth. Keep in mind that the oil can become rancid after a while so use it sparingly.

Your English is just fine by the way.

Reactions: TheHellYeah

TheHellYeah

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Porto, Portugal
instagram.com
Hi and welcome from central England, you have done more in a month than I have done in 50 years, keep going and you will set the world alight, happy smoking. puffy
The first reply will always be an unforgettable memory.
Who knows if we won’t meet one of these days, since pipe smoking in Portugal is a niche and there’s not much brands to chose from, I’ll might have to travel abroad to have a tobacco intercultural dialogue!
Cheers!

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome from Sydney, Oz

You’re doing fine for one who is only 1 month into pipes.
If you’re going down the track of buying estate pipes, I suggest looking at Rebornpipes.
You will find lots of very helpful hints replete with before and after photos

I hope to visit Portugal one day, and Porto and the (port) terraces of the Douro in particular, as ports (vintage, colheitas, tawny) are one of my favourite tipples