PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2014
Nice looking cobs. I'm going to have to order one up. I have a couple from another company that have seasoned well and are years old. Also have noticed it is hit & miss with that company's cobs and I can generally tell right away when one will be a keeper or get set aside for a day in the boat fishing or some other activity where I don't want to risk losing a favorite briar.
For some reason corncob pipes always remind me of the character of the old woman at the ferry crossing in the Clint Eastwood movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales", Granny Hawkins~
outlaw-josey-wales-3.jpg

Granny Hawkins

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
"The Outlaw Jose Wales" is probably one of my favorite Clint Eastwood westerns. Funny you should mention Granny Hawkins as I was watching the movie the other night and happened to notice ol' granny smoking her cob. At the beginning of the movie when the Johnny Rebs are encamped up on the ridge above the Yankee camp waiting to hear from Fletcher, it looks like a couple of the Rebs are smoking cobs as well.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
I just ordered one of each… and a christmas tree ornament (for next year), if they still have them. Looking forward to trying them!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think slightly smaller bowls should stop anyone. I've recently been initiated by another

Forums members into the pleasures of smoking a really small (Group 1) pipe, and it was a whole

new day. So these slightly smaller cob bowls look plenty big to me. I have everything from

extra large and Group 6, down to this new Group 1. You can get an amazingly long smoke out

of a small bowl, and its perfect for a more limited time, or a dessert bowl, or appetizer bowl before

or after a larger pipe, or just on its own. So, somewhat smaller bowl, no problem. Trust me.

Jan 3, 2014
"The Outlaw Jose Wales" is probably one of my favorite Clint Eastwood westerns. Funny you should mention Granny Hawkins as I was watching the movie the other night and happened to notice ol' granny smoking her cob. At the beginning of the movie when the Johnny Rebs are encamped up on the ridge above the Yankee camp waiting to hear from Fletcher, it looks like a couple of the Rebs are smoking cobs as well".
That's definitely one of my favorite movies. Looking at the scene again I think maybe Granny's pipe may not be a cob, could be maple? It's hard to tell but as you mentioned the rebels in their camp do appear to be enjoying corncobs. Now I'll have to watch that movie in its entirety again (been a few years) later tonight!
IMHO I have always felt the south should have been allowed to go its own way as it desired. I see absolutely no difference between the southern states seeking their independence and the colonies doing so from England some 80 years before.
Several of my ancestors were in that war on the side of the union. One of them, my great great great grandfather Patrick Henry Jones was an officer in the 154th New York Volunteer Infantry which is a unit that saw much service from 1862 to the surrender in '65. He ended the war being brevetted a Brigadier General by Abraham Lincoln. Patrick Jones had really quite a storied life. Born in Ireland in 1830, serving in the war where he was wounded and captured spending half a year as a POW until exchanged and later enjoying a fairly prominent political career.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Henry_Jones
http://www.hardtackregiment.com/154thNewYorkHistory.html
Two others that we know of were father and son named Sinon who enlisted and served together. What ever possessed a 48 year old man to join the army as a private with his 18 year old son is beyond me. I don't recall what unit they were with and I would have to dig out the family tree writings to remember. Anyway they too served in several major engagements unscathed throughout Virginia and later into northern Georgia. There at a place called Resaca they found themselves in yet another major fight where they both came to grief. It was determined after the fact that their Lieutenant had erred in maneuvering the company. He had been ordered to march the company forward across an open field and halt at a line of trees separating that field and the next. Apparently misunderstanding the order he marched his men through that treeline and into the open field beyond where the confederates in the next treeline shot them down. The elder was killed on the spot and the son lost a foot. He lived only until 1875 when he was killed in a logging accident. We don't know the particulars of that other than it being "a logging accident". I surmise he probably couldn't hobble out of the way fast enough on one foot!
Best regards to you and your brother in your new venture, Daniel.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Daniel,
Thanks for posting the info re: your Civil War ancestors. Always, interesting to learn of these personal stories that help tell the human side of the war that you don't necessarily get from the history books.
I've always been a Civil War buff and have been a reenactor since the late '80s. I have at least two Civil War ancestors who were Confederates. My ggg grandfather (father's side) served as a private in Co. F of the 46th Virginia Infantry and I also had a ggg uncle (mother's side) who served as a 2nd Lt. in the same company. My ggg uncle was captured on June 17, 1864 at Petersburg, VA as the 46th Virginia launched a counter-assault to try and retake their works that had only moments before been overrun by the Federals. He would spend the remainder of the war as a POW at Fort Delaware. My ggg grandfather would go on to fight at the Battle of the Crater and through the rest of the Petersburg Siege but was finally captured while skirmishing near Amelia Courthouse during Lee's retreat to Appomattox. He was sent down to Point Lookout where he was finally released in June of 1865.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Question: Do you chaps ship to Europe?

I don't own a corncob currently, but I have decided if I get a corncob I want one which Mr Twain would have been proud to smoke!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
pipeherman,
We do ship internationally. If you purchase from our website, it'll ask you to enter your country and it'll figure up your shipping accordingly.
Sincerely,
Bob Savage

Old Dominion Pipe Co.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I smoked a corncob when I was a kid and got so sick I haven't been able to even think about getting another. But these Old Dominion's (without a plastic stem) are really tempting me to give 'em a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.