On Smoking Slowly and the Benefits...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

3. Fold and stuff: When I pack a flake folded and stuffed, I have experimented with putting a pinch of well rubbed out tobacco at the bottom then adding the flake. The idea with this is to prevent too much expansion of the tobacco in the bottom which can easily prevent a good draw, or even block the draw causing problems. Again, probably more helpfull in a tall and less wide bowl. My next experiment will be to try to do a "cone formed" flake, making the bottom part thinner than the top. My idea is to fold the flake and rub it more in the bottom, perhaps use the loose tobacco as desribed above. Not sure if I will have any success with this method, but just an idea in my mind to try. Another method is to use less flake, pack it very loose, with lot of space in the bowl, and then rub out some of the tobacco into shag and let it fall down in the empty spaces, perhaps even push it down a little with the pipe tool.
Only smoking occasionally, sure does make it harder to get the basics down to the level of quality that you are wanting. I hate to say "smoke more" but maybe just be more patient, realizing that you aren't getting the practice that a heavier smoker is.

Yeh, flakes... I get so frustrated with the fold and stuff method. With how I smoke hands free most of the day, it becomes mildly frustrating to have to tamp the sides down as a flake burns. I'd prefer not to "have" to tamp at all, but... I too and more of a fan of rubbing the flakes out.

I hope that you get the hang of it. I'm rooting for you.

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
Hm, not sure I agree that you have to be a heavy smoker to get the basics down. ;) I am smoking with patience and quality, I think we all are, who have been doing this for many years. Some periods, I am an even an every smoker. But I also enjoy to keep tweeking my methods, I think pipe smoking would not be as fun if it was not open for constant new experiment, it's part of the fun. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I agree with Cosmic…. slow is the best….. and it is wonderful that way, and is what I usually do.

Yet, most of us who are “old-timers” also know that “slow” may not always be possible every indulgence. For the “newer” folks, I just wanted to mention that IF “slow” is not possible when you are hankering for a pipe…. it is “ok”….. “less than slow” or even “fast” CAN be enjoyable if need be. You simply want to minimize the potential negatives of “less than slow” or “fast” during the effort. In those cases for me, I tend to find that ample water or fluids of your choosing during smoking can ameliorate many of these potential negatives. This is perhaps why the adage I live by is:

“There is never a bad time to smoke a pipe.”

You can if need be, adapt, to make damn near any opportunity an enjoyable one. 😉
I've said many times. Haven't finished my coffee yet or actually barely started my coffee yet, so sorry if I sound dumb dumb now. I've also said many times don't think slow think sip. Think barely draw or pull on the smoke. I say this a lot too but new smokers should try at least a few rounds of breath smoking just to realize how little a pipe needs their help to smoke (it needs help but not that much).

Hm, not sure I agree that you have to be a heavy smoker to get the basics down.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that... I just meant that someone who gets more opportunities to practice may find it easier. Like playing guitar, someone who practices more may play better faster, but that's not a given. Some people come to things easier than others.

Garcia

Lurker
Oct 21, 2023
Los Angeles
I have been guilty of smoking fast too. I agree with live life slowly. I have found myself being in a rush in life, but smoking my pipes have taught me the discipline of enjoying the moment and being in the moment. I am still working on taking my time with each sip. But I am happy to implement this in my overall life.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It has been 8 years since I have posted a thread about the benefits of slow smoking. I took a break to let other smokers step up and address this issue. But, I notice that a lot of new posts can easily be summed up with taking notice that smoking slow is the goal.

So, here is goes...

The Benefits of Slow Smoking

For guys who didn’t grow up around other pipe men, and watching the experienced smoker ssssllllloooooooowwwwllllyyyy sipping away at their pipes, it might take a lot of trial and error to figure out that almost every problem you might encounter from smoking a pipe would come from just smoking too fast. How fast is too fast? I’d say that you just can’t slow down enough. When you think you are going as slow as possible, slow down even more. I see guys making large billowing clouds of smoke, and if you are into smoking just for the visual effects of making clouds, then keep on, more power to you. However, here are some of the benefits to slowing down and keeping the clouds minimal.

Taste is affected by how slow you smoke. When you get a really flavorful tongue pleasing taste of tobacco, it is not coming directly from the smokes and combustion. This is cigarette mentality. What you taste is the surrounding tobacco to the combustion heating up and giving off its essential oils. This goes for aromatics, latakia blends, to Virginias. Slowing down and not allowing the full width of the bowl to cherry up, is giving the surrounding tobacco time to heat up and give off its flavor before combusting into smoke. Plus, if you are just allowing smoke to drizzle into your mouth, you are giving the flavor time on your tongue, enjoy that flavor, relish in it. Puffing harder faster doesn’t give you more flavor, just more smoke. In fact the harder and faster you draw the smoke in, the more your flavor receptors on your taste buds will get overloaded and overheated. Slow down and sense every nuance of flavor the experience provides.

Thusly, by heating surrounding tobacco to have them release their essential oils, you also speed up the cake process and breaking in of a pipe. The oils and tars are released and get pushed to the inside of the chamber. The faster you smoke, the more you increase the temperature of combustion, destroying those oils that are needed to cake the bowl. So, smoking faster does not help you break in a pipe nearly as much as just slowing down. I realized this when I started practicing for a slow smoking contest. As I limited my puffing and just allowed the smoke to drizzle into my mouth, I noticed that I had to scrape my pipes much more often than I did the years I had been smoking at a moderate (too fast) a rate.

You don’t get more nicotine from smoking faster. This is cigarette mentality also. You are only pulling in nicotine from the small blood vessels of the mouth and sinuses, unless you are inhaling. And, you may be inhaling because you are smoking too fast, not giving your blood vessels time to absorb. The pipe hobby delivers nicotine much slower than cigarettes. You have to go slow and allow the nicotine time to pass through the walls of your skin and blood vessels. Stretching a small bowl out to an hour gives you way more nicotine than a large bowl huffed in thirty minutes. No one celebrates smoking faster. This is why we have slow smoking contests. Smoking fast is just a neophyte behavior. If you want the full benefits of smoking a pipe, then stretch that experience out as long as you can. This is what makes the nicotine reaction in our bodies different and more relaxing than that of the cigarette smoker’s. We actually process way more nicotine, but only over a much longer period of time.

Your pipe will smoke better the slower you smoke. Whether a bent or straight pipe, it has the potential to gurgle if smoked too fast. Gurgle comes from condensation formed from temperature and pressure changes, like the condensation coils on your air conditioner or the copper coils on a moonshine still. I hear, so often, people suggest drying out aromatics to reduce condensation. It seems logical, but you are removing all of the flavor toppings by doing that. And, bone dry non-aromatics have just as much potential to gurgle a pipe, because the natural bi-product of combustion is H2O. Drying out a tobacco will not solve the problem. Air pressure is most affected by turbulence. This is why well-made straight pipes don’t tend to gurgle, and a well-made bent pipe can. Curving the flow, rough surfaces inside the stem, small diameter holes, and drawing too hard by puffing, increases turbulence. You can actually take a gurgler of a pipe and just slow way way way down and get way more enjoyment from that pipe in flavor, nicotine, and a gurgle-free experience.

Live slowly. The reason for the boom of the cigarettes over the pipe came, when we were persuaded that we needed to rush, rush, rush to make a living and get everything that needs to be done, done. All of our time-saving inventions were taking up all of our time. Cars go faster, microwave meals, drive thru, iPhones, computers going faster and faster to download less and less relevant crap. You get the feeling that you don’t have time to smoke a pipe. If that’s the case… then why did you want to smoke a pipe in the first place? Is it a decoration or accessory for you? For me, my pipe is a time machine. It takes me back to an age when men had time to live and enjoy living and being alive. I savor those flavors that men enjoyed back in the time of Isaac Newton, George Washington, etc… From the time I light my pipe till I have finished the bowl, time just melts away. I never feel rushed to finish a bowl. It’s not a contest to get to the bottom. I could care less if I finish a complete bowl. I smoke at my leisure. I try my best to make it stretch as long as possible. I don’t want the sensations to end. If I do have something hounding me to get finished, I just set the pipe aside. Feeling anxious or rushed does not mix well with the pipe.

I remember as a kid when I used to run up to my granddad with some daunting question, he’d tell me to hold on… he’d pull out his pipe and make me wait, wait, wait, till he packed the bowl, lit it, sat down, and eventually he’d get to my question… He taught me patience in a world wanting me to rush faster hurry up and come on. In fact, I can’t think of many things that are designed to make us slow down as much as this hobby. Sure, sure, sure, if billowing clouds of smoke are your thing, I won’t tell you that you’re wrong. If hot-boxing a pipe down in 45 minutes or less is your thing, by all means continue. But, not to brag, but I have yet to find a pipe small enough that I couldn’t make it last an hour or more. There are no rights and wrongs. I didn’t write this to make anyone feel bad about huffing huge clouds of noxious smoke. I just wanted to share some things that I noticed about the hobby. Smoke however you want; however, if you are a billowing cloud of smoke sort of guy, please don’t stand next to me. I don’t want someone to think I just bought a pipe and started smoking today. I grew up around pipe men, and they’d definitely crack a giggle at the clouds.

Slow down, give it a try…

Harry Hosterman in his bib overalls squatted on his haunches outside my father’s Grade A milk barn gave more or less the same excellent lecture.

Then he’d point with the stem of his Dr Grabow across the blacktop to a spot on the eastern horizon where a trooper from the Eighth Missouri State Militia Cavalry on patrol encountered the crying children of Granville Nolan who’d been cruelly murdered, his cabin burned, his stock stolen and butchered, and his wife violated in ways I was too young to be told, by Jayhawkers who thought their blue uniforms would spare them from righteous justice.

Then he’d tell the story as it was told to him by an old veteran who was there,,,,,and knew where 18 Jayhawkers were buried just inside the gate at Tinker Cemetery by Bug Tussle.

Lest, I forget.

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Thank you for such a wonderful write up. I've read it a few times now, and today when re-reading it it reminded me to slow down even more!

I have six pipes I'm currently breaking in and slowing down alot helps tremendously. The flavour and experience is so much better, so is the nicotine hit.

I have a big question. If I only have 20-30 minutes to smoke, is it better to smoke a full bowl during that time and put it out to revisit it later?
Or is it better to just pack the bowl half full. Rarely will I have time these days to smoke a full bowl when I am smoking slow enough and properly.

Thanks guys!

I have a big question. If I only have 20-30 minutes to smoke, is it better to smoke a full bowl during that time and put it out to revisit it later?
Or is it better to just pack the bowl half full. Rarely will I have time these days to smoke a full bowl when I am smoking slow enough and properly.
I just smoke what I can within the time I have and save it for later. To me, there is something odd about a half packed pipe, maybe it is the packing of it... not sure. But, really whatever works for you is the way to go.
I enjoy relighting a pipe later on. It has a carnalized flavor that I enjoy. Plus, if I relight a pipe that has been around long enough for me to forget which tobacco was loaded into it, I enjoy trying to guess what it was.

There aren't many right or wrong answers in pipes. But, I am glad that you enjoyed the post.

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I just smoke what I can within the time I have and save it for later. To me, there is something odd about a half packed pipe, maybe it is the packing of it... not sure. But, really whatever works for you is the way to go.
I enjoy relighting a pipe later on. It has a carnalized flavor that I enjoy. Plus, if I relight a pipe that has been around long enough for me to forget which tobacco was loaded into it, I enjoy trying to guess what it was.

There aren't many right or wrong answers in pipes. But, I am glad that you enjoyed the post.
That is a great answer! I can see that always fully packing your pipe will help build the skill of packing different tobacco types, so it's not too tight or loose depending on moisture levels. You'll also ensure that you don't over-cake the lower half of the bowl without proper cake buildup on the upper part of the bowl. It does sound fun to try an guess which tobacco is in the pipe that you grab!
With this, I have a few more questions.
What is the best way to put out your bowl so it stops burning?

Would you dump the ash, or leave the bowl as is?

How long can a pipe sit with a semi-bowl and still be good for a smoke?

Nicotine... Would smoking a 3rd of a bowl slowly over 30-45 minutes vs smoking an entire bowl quickly over 30-45 minutes possibly deliver more nicotine?

Cleaning... After a smoke I take apart my system pipes, clean the shank with a paper towel, clean with pipe cleaners, and clean the stem, then I remove the stem and lay it beside the pipe bowl in its stand on my desk to air dry for several hours before putting the pipe back together. I imagine I'd do the same thing (Minus pushing the pipe cleaner through the shank into the bowl) when it is still half full of tobacco. Or, would you simply leave the pipe and only clean it out after you've finished smoking the bowl?
I wonder if my questions should be their own thread under the newbie section, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering about this.
Thank you again for answering all of my questions. I find myself re-visiting everything again and pondering best practices. Today I had the best smokes of my life since sipping as slowly as I could.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
What is the best way to put out your bowl so it stops burning?
put your fingers over the chamber, sealing it, and draw in on the pipe. The vacuum created quickly extinguishes the cherry fire.
How long can a pipe sit with a semi-bowl and still be good for a smoke?
Over the years on here, many other members have said that they find it goes sour after a few days. But for me, Virginias and Virginia based tobacco stays good to smoke for a very long time. Actually, I have never found a point when it goes bad.
But with latakia, I could see that souring faster, but I don't have a clear cut answer for you. I have enjoyed it a few days latter. It is different, but not bad.

Nicotine... Would smoking a 3rd of a bowl slowly over 30-45 minutes vs smoking an entire bowl quickly over 30-45 minutes possibly deliver more nicotine?

Smoking faster does not deliver more nicotine at all. It is absorbed through the skin as the smoke comes into contact. Smoking faster merely puts more smoke into the air. That is all.
would you simply leave the pipe and only clean it out after you've finished smoking the bowl?
Sure, just clean it when you're done with it. But, if it bothers you, clean it when you want. I can't tell a cowboy how to ride his horse. Whatever you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunnyboy

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that... I just meant that someone who gets more opportunities to practice may find it easier. Like playing guitar, someone who practices more may play better faster, but that's not a given. Some people come to things easier than others.
You've made a great point. I've been smoking a pipe for about 20 years now, but that was only one bowl a day with my coffee int he morning before work. When I retired two years ago I had much more time to smoke my pipe. In the last two years my smoking technique, packing and enjoyment of the pipe are all much better. In fact only in the last month have I finally become proficient in the breath method and so getting more taste out of the tobacco as well as cooler bowl and smoke. So, I would say that practice may not make it perfect but it sure will make it better.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
It has been 8 years since I have posted a thread about the benefits of slow smoking. I took a break to let other smokers step up and address this issue. But, I notice that a lot of new posts can easily be summed up with taking notice that smoking slow is the goal.

So, here is goes...

For guys who didn’t grow up around other pipe men, and watching the experienced smoker ssssllllloooooooowwwwllllyyyy sipping away at their pipes, it might take a lot of trial and error to figure out that almost every problem you might encounter from smoking a pipe would come from just smoking too fast. How fast is too fast? I’d say that you just can’t slow down enough. When you think you are going as slow as possible, slow down even more. I see guys making large billowing clouds of smoke, and if you are into smoking just for the visual effects of making clouds, then keep on, more power to you. However, here are some of the benefits to slowing down and keeping the clouds minimal.

Taste is affected by how slow you smoke. When you get a really flavorful tongue pleasing taste of tobacco, it is not coming directly from the smokes and combustion. This is cigarette mentality. What you taste is the surrounding tobacco to the combustion heating up and giving off its essential oils. This goes for aromatics, latakia blends, to Virginias. Slowing down and not allowing the full width of the bowl to cherry up, is giving the surrounding tobacco time to heat up and give off its flavor before combusting into smoke. Plus, if you are just allowing smoke to drizzle into your mouth, you are giving the flavor time on your tongue, enjoy that flavor, relish in it. Puffing harder faster doesn’t give you more flavor, just more smoke. In fact the harder and faster you draw the smoke in, the more your flavor receptors on your taste buds will get overloaded and overheated. Slow down and sense every nuance of flavor the experience provides.

Thusly, by heating surrounding tobacco to have them release their essential oils, you also speed up the cake process and breaking in of a pipe. The oils and tars are released and get pushed to the inside of the chamber. The faster you smoke, the more you increase the temperature of combustion, destroying those oils that are needed to cake the bowl. So, smoking faster does not help you break in a pipe nearly as much as just slowing down. I realized this when I started practicing for a slow smoking contest. As I limited my puffing and just allowed the smoke to drizzle into my mouth, I noticed that I had to scrape my pipes much more often than I did the years I had been smoking at a moderate (too fast) a rate.

You don’t get more nicotine from smoking faster. This is cigarette mentality also. You are only pulling in nicotine from the small blood vessels of the mouth and sinuses, unless you are inhaling. And, you may be inhaling because you are smoking too fast, not giving your blood vessels time to absorb. The pipe hobby delivers nicotine much slower than cigarettes. You have to go slow and allow the nicotine time to pass through the walls of your skin and blood vessels. Stretching a small bowl out to an hour gives you way more nicotine than a large bowl huffed in thirty minutes. No one celebrates smoking faster. This is why we have slow smoking contests. Smoking fast is just a neophyte behavior. If you want the full benefits of smoking a pipe, then stretch that experience out as long as you can. This is what makes the nicotine reaction in our bodies different and more relaxing than that of the cigarette smoker’s. We actually process way more nicotine, but only over a much longer period of time.

Your pipe will smoke better the slower you smoke. Whether a bent or straight pipe, it has the potential to gurgle if smoked too fast. Gurgle comes from condensation formed from temperature and pressure changes, like the condensation coils on your air conditioner or the copper coils on a moonshine still. I hear, so often, people suggest drying out aromatics to reduce condensation. It seems logical, but you are removing all of the flavor toppings by doing that. And, bone dry non-aromatics have just as much potential to gurgle a pipe, because the natural bi-product of combustion is H2O. Drying out a tobacco will not solve the problem. Air pressure is most affected by turbulence. This is why well-made straight pipes don’t tend to gurgle, and a well-made bent pipe can. Curving the flow, rough surfaces inside the stem, small diameter holes, and drawing too hard by puffing, increases turbulence. You can actually take a gurgler of a pipe and just slow way way way down and get way more enjoyment from that pipe in flavor, nicotine, and a gurgle-free experience.

Live slowly. The reason for the boom of the cigarettes over the pipe came, when we were persuaded that we needed to rush, rush, rush to make a living and get everything that needs to be done, done. All of our time-saving inventions were taking up all of our time. Cars go faster, microwave meals, drive thru, iPhones, computers going faster and faster to download less and less relevant crap. You get the feeling that you don’t have time to smoke a pipe. If that’s the case… then why did you want to smoke a pipe in the first place? Is it a decoration or accessory for you? For me, my pipe is a time machine. It takes me back to an age when men had time to live and enjoy living and being alive. I savor those flavors that men enjoyed back in the time of Isaac Newton, George Washington, etc… From the time I light my pipe till I have finished the bowl, time just melts away. I never feel rushed to finish a bowl. It’s not a contest to get to the bottom. I could care less if I finish a complete bowl. I smoke at my leisure. I try my best to make it stretch as long as possible. I don’t want the sensations to end. If I do have something hounding me to get finished, I just set the pipe aside. Feeling anxious or rushed does not mix well with the pipe.

I remember as a kid when I used to run up to my granddad with some daunting question, he’d tell me to hold on… he’d pull out his pipe and make me wait, wait, wait, till he packed the bowl, lit it, sat down, and eventually he’d get to my question… He taught me patience in a world wanting me to rush faster hurry up and come on. In fact, I can’t think of many things that are designed to make us slow down as much as this hobby. Sure, sure, sure, if billowing clouds of smoke are your thing, I won’t tell you that you’re wrong. If hot-boxing a pipe down in 45 minutes or less is your thing, by all means continue. But, not to brag, but I have yet to find a pipe small enough that I couldn’t make it last an hour or more. There are no rights and wrongs. I didn’t write this to make anyone feel bad about huffing huge clouds of noxious smoke. I just wanted to share some things that I noticed about the hobby. Smoke however you want; however, if you are a billowing cloud of smoke sort of guy, please don’t stand next to me. I don’t want someone to think I just bought a pipe and started smoking today. I grew up around pipe men, and they’d definitely crack a giggle at the clouds.

Thank you for this. As a rookie pipe smoker I am working though finding my groove. This is a great help.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Douglas

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023

So, here is goes...

This is probably the best pipe smoking advice I’ve received. I have been smoking 1-2 years now. I read this post maybe 4-5 months into this and thought it was sound advice. Then I promptly forgot it until recently. I have tried to follow these principles since then, along with consistently using balsa filters, and I can’t overstate how much improved the whole experience has become. Thank you Cosmicfolklore!

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I may smoke TOO slowly 😐. A size 5 bowl lasts me at least 2 hours. Size 4, 1.5 hrs.
I smoke straight through, never allowing the pipe to cool.
Dry the tobacco and pack it tight, often using Nording Keystones at the bowl bottom to help with draft.
Years of experience help develop good slow smoking skills -- puffing strategies, tamping, relights.
Got to know your pipe and tobacco blend. Feel the bowl temperature as it burns downward, observe the smoke density.
Same with cigars, sipping brings out the best flavor and keeps it cool. 😎

If the goal is maximum enjoyment, then slow smoking is the strategy.

Last edited:

slippery pete

Lurker
May 16, 2024
comer ga
I think that everyone has gotten in a bit of an unconscious hurry from time to time. Sometimes, even while clenching, I will be doing some task or have someone start asking me something that causes stress, and I may increase my cadence, but then I just try to catch myself and correct it. No one is a perfect slow smoker all of the time, especially if we always have a pipe in clench.
maybe because I'm new to pipes but my slowest most relaxed puffing is walking in the yard with my dog looking for wild edibles which I have a lot of, if I'm just sitting I tend to draw hard and fast the pipe is small savinelli trevi 614 don't know if that has any part of it