PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I have a pipe with a short and straight lucite stem (aprox 4 cm). The draw is too tight because of this. The stummel is drilled just fine. I presume I need a taperd bit (I could be wrong) but in mm I dont know the diameter I should use or type of drill bit. I dont want too crack it. I otherwise like the pipe but I dont smoke it because of this. Im happy to hear suggestions.

Reactions: JOHN72

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im presuming you are talking about circumference and not diameter as 4mm diameter would be almost as large as the stem end itself ???

Reactions: JOHN72

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I might. Im pretty confident I could do ot if it were vulcanite but lucite is hard and I suspect brittle. Would take a pipe guy more time to change bits than to do the job.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I've heard you can open it and even fix a whistle with a very tiny diamond file. Rub it in and out once and test the draw . Disclaimer; I've never done it, and I have no idea how dangerous it is. Maybe someone here has.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@RustiePyles CPG Im in France. They are probably called something different (obvously). Can you show a pic or a link to one so I know what Im getting. I wrote to a pipe repair place and they said it MUST be done by the designers of the pipe....in otherwords they dont want to be bothered with it.

thanks

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
@RustiePyles CPG Im in France. They are probably called something different (obvously). Can you show a pic or a link to one so I know what Im getting. I wrote to a pipe repair place and they said it MUST be done by the designers of the pipe....in otherwords they dont want to be bothered with it.

thanks