PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
My son’s new $300 50 inch television is just over four feet diagonal.

For $400 Jeff will sell him a 70 inch television and for $500 one that’s over six feet diagonal.

View attachment 266429

In a year or two the four footer will be a hundred dollars and the six footer two hundred.

And Jeff don’t care which brand you like, Jeff sells em‘ all.

And yes Jeff will sell Tesla batteries.

Because Elon Musk will have to sell Teslas that take the standard Amazon replacement battery like the Chevies and Fords and Chryslers do.

View attachment 266436
Ha ha. Wrong type of battery. These aren’t lawn tractors. And Teslas run on a VERY DIFFERENT BATTERY BUILT INTO THE FRAME OF THE CAR. 🤣

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Today Teslas do use an in the frame proprietary battery. As advanced as it was ten years ago a brand new electric from other makers uses a fraction of the rare metals like lithium.

I shoot skeet on Wednesday with other old men about my age and they bad mouthed electric cars until I googled why anybody would buy one.

What I found is Musk is selling electric cars today that are three times more efficient than any gasoline car, operate on about three cents a mile, and will last until the body rusts off.

And they have astounding horsepower and unbelievable torque, the electric motors last a million miles, and the only fly in the ointment is the damned batteries.

But new batteries are fully ten times cheaper than a decade ago, and getting cheaper.

And since there’s no gasoline engine or conventional transmission the cars only require about 60% of the man hours to build.

Every thing those old men were afraid of was bull shit.

What Musk should dread is another Musk who makes a universal sized cheap battery for those things.

The front compartment of an electric car is an excellent battery holder.

Kind of like those golf cart batteries.:)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here’s the difference between Bezos and Musk.

Everybody loves to see Musk piss away his billions on running off his mouth.

I don't love Musk running his mouth, period.
There is a lot of charm in a man who can intentionally borrow 44 -B- Billion dollars to have a mouthpiece to scare away nearly all of the advertisers anybody has ever heard of.

Charm? Really? He can suck up where he deems necessary, but he's devoid of charm.
We love to see Musk launch those heavenly necklaces of satellites in low earth orbit.
Not really- well, sometimes. But there'll be 40,000 extra. bits of metal in the exosphere from him alone,
The man who can sport Amber Heard on his arm for several years and she still likes him has a way with women the rest of us just don’t have.

But where Musk’s money tree is, competes with General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Volkswagen.

Musk is the Henry Ford of the electric car.

Jeff Bezos is going to sell ninety per cent of the replacement batteries for a Tesla, and the rest of the electric cars.

Like Richard Sears and Sam Walton before him Jeff Bezos only sells things other men like Musk make.
Perhaps a bit facile, but I see your point.

Reactions: Briar Lee

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Today Teslas do use an in the frame proprietary battery. As advanced as it was ten years ago a brand new electric from other makers uses a fraction of the rare metals like lithium.

I shoot skeet on Wednesday with other old men about my age and they bad mouthed electric cars until I googled why anybody would buy one.

What I found is Musk is selling electric cars today that are three times more efficient than any gasoline car, operate on about three cents a mile, and will last until the body rusts off.

And they have astounding horsepower and unbelievable torque, the electric motors last a million miles, and the only fly in the ointment is the damned batteries.

But new batteries are fully ten times cheaper than a decade ago, and getting cheaper.

And since there’s no gasoline engine or conventional transmission the cars only require about 60% of the man hours to build.

Every thing those old men were afraid of was bull shit.

What Musk should dread is another Musk who makes a universal sized cheap battery for those things.

The front compartment of an electric car is an excellent battery holder.

Kind of like those golf cart batteries.:)
We...ell not all is wondrous in Tesla land. First, keep in mind that Musk bought Tesla. It wasn't his original creation, but he did bring it to fruition. Second, because it uses a large panel body construction, like Rivian, body work is expensive, like $30,000 type of expense, since you pretty much have to replace the body. People love their Teslas, but they rate near the bottom on customer satisfaction surveys, and there have been numerous complaints about fit and finish.

Comparing Musk to Ford may have some points, but Ford sought to make cars affordable to the broad population, bringing down the cost of owning a car within in reach of many more people. Teslas aren't inexpensive to buy. And when you sell one the buyer has to pay Tesla to restore options like longer travel range from the battery, even if Tesla was already paid for it by the original owner. A change in ownership cuts off certain extras built into the car until payment is made to unlock them. Essentially, you never really own one.

At least, Tesla backed off their stated policy to sue any owner who sold their new truck within the first year of ownership. Didn't play well with the customer base.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont know how Amazon is in the US but in France third party sellers are often insanly terrible deals. You have to research everything you see. We are talking prices like a hundred and fifty bucks for a pack of Fruit of the loom underwear etc... Just crazy gouging. Over here Amazon would benefit from some monitoring because it makes it a dodgy place to shop. Its not that every price needs to be the lowest but complete rip offs should be monitored IMHO. That said, I live in a small vilallge in France. There are very limited choices. I shop at amazon a lot and their return service is very good (though I rarely use it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
We...ell not all is wondrous in Tesla land. First, keep in mind that Musk bought Tesla. It wasn't his original creation, but he did bring it to fruition. Second, because it uses a large panel body construction, like Rivian, body work is expensive, like $30,000 type of expense, since you pretty much have to replace the body. People love their Teslas, but they rate near the bottom on customer satisfaction surveys, and there have been numerous complaints about fit and finish.

Comparing Musk to Ford may have some points, but Ford sought to make cars affordable to the broad population, bringing down the cost of owning a car within in reach of many more people. Teslas aren't inexpensive to buy. And when you sell one the buyer has to pay Tesla to restore options like longer travel range from the battery, even if Tesla was already paid for it by the original owner. A change in ownership cuts off certain extras built into the car until payment is made to unlock them. Essentially, you never really own one.

At least, Tesla backed off their stated policy to sue any owner who sold their new truck within the first year of ownership. Didn't play well with the customer base.
Every car Tesla has ever sold has been recalled, until recently. Some two or three times.

There are power options that cost ten grand, which means Tesla digitally unlocks the power from the existing battery.

And Tesla has three stations to charge a Tesla in Humansville Missouri behind the Jump Stop.

A slow Tesla has 400 horsepower and 2,500 foot pounds of torque.

Today, at 10 cents a kilowatt hour, it costs about ten dollars to charge a 100 kilowatt Tesla and run over 300 miles.

Xxxxxx

Electric vehicles are the most expensive when it comes to battery costs. A battery might cost between $4,000 and $20,000, depending on the brand and model of your vehicle. So, if you have owned the car for a while, and the warranty is void, you have no choice but to pay the asking price.

Xxxxxxx

General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler have been stamping out car bodies for over a century.

Invent a user replaceable thousand dollar battery and there won’t be any gasoline cars made in five years.

To hell with rising oceans and the threat of climate change. Electrics are better mousetraps.

Virtually all of those things will charge overnight in a garage when the power companies have so much extra capacity they lower the price of juice.

No gas car has a fraction of the torque.

We will miss gasoline engines about as much as our grandfathers missed coal oil lamps. Electrics are so quiet there’s a sound track at low speed to warn pedestrians. We will like quiet.

They are three times more efficient to operate and cost nearly half to produce

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Every car Tesla has ever sold has been recalled, until recently. Some two or three times.

There are power options that cost ten grand, which means Tesla digitally unlocks the power from the existing battery.

And Tesla has three stations to charge a Tesla in Humansville Missouri behind the Jump Stop.

Today, at 10 cents a kilowatt hour, it costs about ten dollars to charge a 100 kilowatt Tesla and run over 300 miles.

Xxxxxx

Electric vehicles are the most expensive when it comes to battery costs. A battery might cost between $4,000 and $20,000, depending on the brand and model of your vehicle. So, if you have owned the car for a while, and the warranty is void, you have no choice but to pay the asking price.

Xxxxxxx

General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler have been stamping out car bodies for over a century.

Invent a user replaceable thousand dollar battery and there won’t be any gasoline cars made in five years.

To hell with rising oceans and the threat of climate change. Electrics are better mousetraps.

Virtually all of those things will charge overnight in a garage when the power companies have so much extra capacity they lower the price of juice.

We will miss gasoline engines about as much as our grandfathers missed coal oil lamps. Electrics are so quiet there’s a sound track at low speed to warn pedestrians. We will like quiet.

And are a different kind of environmental disaster, but that will eventually change.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

Xxxxxx

Xxxxxxx

Sorry man, don’t know why you’re veering into Tesla territory but it’s your thread!

I don’t see much poetic to wax about re the faux arguments in favor of electrics and five years? Only cars produced? Even granting the hypothetical, not possible.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Only those not willing/unable to adjust to fit the current, fast changing retail climate. We've got mom and pops that found a niche and exploit it, be it service, product. or a combination of both. Mostly personalized, knowledgeable service. One needs to be agile and quick in today's environment. But, there are always folks willing to pay a bit more for quality service. I'd suggest that rising local taxes put local stores in jeopardy as well as proprietors being unable or unwilling to change as the environment causes many closures. Well, that and proprietors getting simply tired and wore out dealing with the new environment.

One must find a way to provide what Amazon can't/won't and exploit it. They are a behemoth for sure but, not unbeatable.
Well said. Coffee is a great example - I'll pay a premium for fresh roasted, high quality beans from local roasters, or small business roasters in the US that roast to order. Sure it's more expensive, but the quality is there and it's one more thing I don't have to rely on a corporation for. I do this with any item I can : grocerys, lumber and building material, farm supplies, etc.
Food is the big one for us, as we farm, grow and hunt the majority of ours. Personally, I see Amazon moving their target on to grocery retailers. I could not imagine ordering my food, but many love the thought of it and Amazon knows how to appeal to those people.

There's one constant in this world, and that is change. And boy is it fast

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Sorry man, don’t know why you’re veering into Tesla territory but it’s your thread!

I don’t see much poetic to wax about re the faux arguments in favor of electrics and five years? Only cars produced? Even granting the hypothetical, not possible.

Greed.

The car companies will employ 40% fewer assemblers and the cars will run three times further on the same amount of energy.

If you were an oil Baron or auto worker you should cry.

Bezos might trade in his helicopter pilot for a newer model, selling replacement batteries.:)

Every car Henry Ford sold, every tire Firestone made, every Die Hard battery Richard Sears sold, and all the floor mats Sam Walton sold are long ago somewhere gone to the junkyard and so will our cars and gadgets, in time,,,,,every last one.

What these ultra rich guys have always done is provide us gadgets to enjoy.

It has to be a better and cheaper gadget than the gadget we have.

That’s where genius comes in.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Obviously that's wrong!
All of human civilization is an escalator.

Once we all get something, whatever it might be, then we can’t imagine anything better until it takes over and drives out the old gadget.

I still remember the wonder I had looking at our renter’s daughter’s 8 track cassette player.

Then a few years later I saw a car that had a self reversing compact cassette player.

A few years later my sister in law got a CD rom player.

Then about twenty some years ago I saw this little gadget called an MP3 player.

Today I select all the nasal nosed high lonesome squally old honky tonk standards I love on this phone and it links to the U Connect or my Bluetooth headphones and I’ve not bought a CD rom in so long I can’t remember.

Most of my books I get are from my good buddy Jeff Bezos on Amazon for Kindle.

Those big windmills I’ve made fun of all my adult life are today the cheapest way to power my gadgets, at two cents a kilowatt hour.

Xxxxx

Energy Department researchers report that in 2019, wind turbine prices fell from their highs in 2008 to $700 to $850 per kilowatt. In 2019, the national average price of wind power purchase agreements dropped to below 2 cents per kilowatt-hour, meaning that—including federal incentives such as the Production Tax Credit—new wind energy facilities provided some of the cheapest available forms of new electricity generation available at that time.

Xxxxx

My children will operate their cars for less money than my father did when gas was 23 cents a gallon.

Then they’ll make bigger aerial drones.

Bigger and bigger until my great grandchildren will fly over the roads we drive and wonder why we didn’t crash three or four times a week.:)

But it’s all stair stepping on past technology.

It has to be better, and cheaper.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Interesting discussion. It’s cool to hate on Amazon but it’s very handy in a pinch. I buy more stuff on eBay but still use Amazon sometimes.

At this point, I’ve pretty much stopped trying to find companies that share my “values.” It’s all become so wearisome. Everything is political. Buying a cup of coffee now is political. Absolutely wearisome.

I go to Walmart because it’s handy. There are no mom/pop places to compete with Walmart where I live. My choices are one big corporation or another. Amazon is handy too. It is what it is.

I still buy my guitar strings at a local shop, mostly so I can look at guitars for an hour or so. Me buying strings there won’t save that shop. I can only do my bit and it’s not much.

Morganed

Lurker
Apr 15, 2024
For several years, about the time of the Corono, my friend Jeff Bezos drop ships me four big plastic cans of Yuban coffee every month. Usually the price is about $25 for eight pounds, sometimes a dollar or two less, sometimes a few dollars more.

I’m as addicted to coffee as tobacco, maybe even more.

There is a reason Jeff Bezos is one of the richest men to ever live.

This month on the 27th my coffee did not arrive.

The Amazon app said if it didn’t arrive by Friday I could get a refund or replacement.

When I got home yesterday evening my coffee wasn’t on the front porch and today I called the post office, who said they think a mail truck must have come to grief with 107 packages due here on the 27th.

Their expectations for it’s arrival were not good.

I got on the Amazon app and a nice robot who works for Jeff sent me a rush replacement overnight for free, in less than a minute.

The robot said I could keep the extra coffee or donate it to charity if it arrives.

Somewhere far away, Sam Walton is smiling.

Walmart used to offer outrageously good customer service when Sam was still alive.

Amazon does that, today.
Yes, Amazon service is great and the best sex dolls I purchased it is still very real.
Yeah, I'm more likely to buy coffee on Amazon now because of their service.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
Amazon get's a lot of business from me. I live out in the sticks and hate driving several stores not finding what I want. Saturday evening I ordered Align Probiotic and a gallon of Ortho WeedClear Weed Killer Concentrate. Sunday morning when I got up both were on my front porch.

Musk sure has bailed out NASA.

alexishector

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
For several years, about the time of the Corono, my friend Jeff Bezos drop ships me four big plastic cans of Yuban coffee every month. Usually the price is about $25 for eight pounds, sometimes a dollar or two less, sometimes a few dollars more.

I’m as addicted to coffee as tobacco, maybe even more.

There is a reason Jeff Bezos is one of the richest men to ever live.

This month on the 27th my coffee did not arrive.

The Amazon app said if it didn’t arrive by Friday I could get a refund or replacement.

When I got home yesterday evening my coffee wasn’t on the front porch and today I called the post office, who said they think a mail truck must have come to grief with 107 packages due here on the 27th.

Their expectations for it’s arrival were not good.

I got on the Amazon app and a nice robot who works for Jeff sent me a rush replacement overnight for free, in less than a minute.

The robot said I could keep the extra coffee or donate it to charity if it arrives.

Somewhere far away, Sam Walton is smiling.

Walmart used to offer outrageously good customer service when Sam was still alive.
신용카드 현금화
Amazon does that, today.
I have been on Chat twice already about my Kindle, which I had to replace in November because my previous Kindle developed a fault that could not be fixed. I was told by the Customer Service agent then that I would receive discount when I purchased a new Kindle and a notation would be put on my account to that effect. It did not happen when I bought the new Kindle last month so I contacted Customer Service again to see what was going on. I was assured the promised discount would be processed within 2-3 days. Nothing has changed. I did not get any discount. I am tired of wasting time dealing with multiple agents who don't know what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.