PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ok..Im really not doing a research project but my background in psych has me interested.

I dont think most of us will argue that we are bit by the hoarding bug at time. A lot of us have way more pipes and far more tobacco than can ever be somked and we still gather more.

I dont think pipe somkers are like hoarders with old newspapers stacked in paths around the living room but do you tend to have collections in other things? Lots of overstocking of stuff....etc...

I know I get obesessive over certain activites and eat, drink and sleep them for extended periods of time.

Just curious as to how these instincts play out in other parts of life. Anything from collecting coins, cars to preparing for the apocalypse.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
TAD, at least upon its face, is supported by a plausible fear. One’s favorite isn’t guaranteed to stay in production or may soon become regulated and overpriced. - But this only goes so far. It fails to explain those whom continue to acquire beyond need.

PAD is a hobby interest. I enjoy collecting things that I can actually use. Swiss Watches fit that category, albeit, pipes are poor investments. The joy is in their history, their beauty and in their use. But, as with TAD, this fails to explain those whom continue to acquire beyond reasonable need.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’ve collected many different things over the years, resulting in parts of those collections appearing in something that I would collect.

Here are some of my LPs from various countries of Elvis Costello’s first album. I shared this in a music forum back in 2006 and it led to my helping with several of Elvis’s CD reissues for Universal:

MAIT-72dpi.jpg

I also collect original Japanese movie posters, leaning mostly towards “Jidaigeki” (Samurai movies), which led to having much of my Zatoichi, the Blind Swordsman, movie memorabilia being featured in a gallery on the DVD of the final Zatoichi film:

MV5BYTJiYmVlNGEtM2IxNy00NDQyLWFlOTktYTU4NjgxM2QzZjA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

My collection of the mystery writer, Kenneth Millar/Ross Macdonald resulted in a coffee table book that I designed, featuring parts of my book collection:

It borders on a meta or recursive experience, which can be fun.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I am definitely a "Collector" Shaving mugs, safety razors, hand planes, antique precision measuring tools, tubes, depression glass pipe furniture, lighters, vintage electrical test equipment, records, vintage toasters & waffle irons, cast iron pans, glass insulators, books, etc, etc. You would think my house is cluttered wreck, but it's actually a fairly well organised archive.

Last edited:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Before I discovered the joy of smoking a pipe and all its related ephemera, I had spent a handful of years collecting knives. It was similar to pipes in ways.
A utilitarian object - they come in both factory and custom hand made varieties. There are levels of quality and reputation among the factory tier, and certainly among the individual makers.

My transition to pipes wasn't even very fluid - it was almost over night. The sale of a couple knives even funded my first sizable foray in to pipes and pipe tobacco.

I've kept a couple knives too of course- ones I use in a regular basis. I'm also still involved with some FB groups for buying/selling. I like to look and keep abreast of changes in the industry, but I rarely spend much. To many pipes and tobaccos...

Before the knives became a serious hobby, I had been a pretty serious cymbal whore. Been a drummer since 6th grade, and cymbals were my love. Again, a utilitarian object with many tiers of production.

I can only afford one hobby at a time unfortunately.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yep, I've noticed this tendency in my other hobbies as well. Thankfully it's not full-on "hoarder" status; I can generally limit the acquisitions to the "next" one or two of a particular item.

I have a couple of aircooled Volkswagens. With those, you never throw out an old part, because the replacements you can get might not be as good. Either way, the consumable parts situation is such that it's perfectly reasonable to accumulate lots of extra parts to keep them going, like distributor caps, points, cylinder heads, oil coolers, heck, even donor cars!

I also ride older bicycles. The late 1980s may not seem like that long ago, but if you prefer that level of technology, replacement parts can be a hunt, rather than just getting them off the hook at your LBS. Shimano discontinued most of their 7-speed cassettes a few years ago, so I was glad that I had picked up a few of my favorites at $22 while I could. The industry-wide move from rim brakes to disc brakes, especially in niche wheel sizes like 650B, had me acquiring a few extra rims to attempt to "future-proof" my bikes in that area as well.

When Beefeater watered down their gin from 94 to 88 proof, I quickly loaded up whenever I found 94-proof still on a shelf. Recently, green Chartreuse became very hard to get as the monks announced they would be limiting production and demand spiked around the world. I found myself wishing I'd put away an extra bottle or two when I could, and it had me looking at other things in the liquor cabinet I would really miss if they went away. There are often substitutions you can make, but they won't be exactly the same. Sort of like with match blends.

The thing about hoarding is that you only have to be proven right once or twice in order to feel vindicated about the whole tendency. 😅

Last edited:

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Things I have more than I need. Pipes. Watches. Wine bottles. Whiskey bottles. Shoes. Sneakers. Suits. Ties, cufflinks Clothing in general. Furniture. Books. Cholesterol. Sugar in the blood. Plus a number of things of which I don't have many but which are absolutely unnecessary.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't collect much except Titleist golf balls. I have more than I will ever use, because I keep finding them! It's like an Easter Egg hunt.

My TAD and PAD have long been satisfied, and haven't bought a pipe nor tobacco for a few years.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I collect way too much stuff and my last move was a gut check. I have collections of vintage toys, toy soldiers, lps and tapes, comic books, baseball cards, books, concert t shirts, baseball hats and various skateboard stuff. Moving into a smaller space I had to rent a storage space for all my crap. I’m really going to make an effort to thin the herd this year because moving nearly broke me haha.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
For me at least, I don't have PAD, but my TAD is motivated by wanting to try so many different things. I have 100+ tins in my cabinet, but most are the smallest available size of a blend (mostly 1.7 oz/50 grams), and almost no duplicates. So, I wouldn't even say I am hoarding or have TAD in the same way as others. This year, my TAD isn't bad because I have so much, and what's left on my shopping/wishlist is just, I'm curious and want to try, but I'm not particularly interested like I was with the ones I have.

For those that have smoked long enough to find blends they really like only for them to later be discontinued or changed, I can maybe understand the tendency to buy as much as possible even of a blend they've never had ("if I don't like it, then I can just sell it, but if I do like it, I won't have regrets buying only one tin").

Otherwise, I'm not the type to really sock things away for "just in case" (except for money). If something becomes unavailable, then such is life, I am highly accustomed to nearing a goal or reaching for something only to have the carrot snatched away at the last minute and having my hands smacked by the stick. The response for some to go through such a thing might be to take what they can, when they can but for me, it's the opposite reaction of a sort of stoic apathy. "Meh, whatever".