PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview on tonight's Pipes Magazine Radio Show is with Per George Jensen. Most pipe enthusiasts know Per as the longtime Mac Baren Tobacco Company spokesman. Earlier this year he made some changes in his life. He got married, moved to Germany and parted ways with Mac Baren, but not with the tobacco business. He is consulting with Sutliff Tobacco Co., and he created the popular and unique signature tobacco series, “Pipe Force”. At the top of the show Brian will discuss his latest pipe acquisition, which is one of the last pipes made by late Japanese pipe artisan, Satou Smio, who died in July of this year.

The show airs every Tuesday at 8:00pm eastern US time, and can be found at PipesMagazine.com and all podcast apps.

Per-Georg-Jensen.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I recently heard Per's first interview on the show and he was very well spoken. I’m glad to hear that he’s this week's guest.

Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Per is my absolute favorite blender and somehow he was the first person I met at the Vegas Pipe Show this year. After a flight delay, I - unlike all the fellas twice my age who somehow stay up until 3am like college monsters - crashed immediately. Having breakfast that Friday morning I found myself chatting with a man whose particular accent (Germanic in origin but featuring a pinch of Liam Neeson) struck me as immediately familiar from your radio show. Sure as snuff, it was indeed him.

Last edited:

Ash Cooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2023
Greenville, SC
www.instagram.com
I had this thought that if Per Georg Jensen’s blends had been made into plugs instead of cakes with a different company, his pipe force and birds of a feather series might have become one of the greatest blending accomplishments of the modern era.

Reactions: Clamarnicale

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I had this thought that if Per Georg Jensen’s blends had been made into plugs instead of cakes with a different company, his pipe force and birds of a feather series might have become one of the greatest blending accomplishments of the modern era.
What benefit would the plug have over the cake? (I have no blending knowledge whatsoever.)

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
What benefit would the plug have over the cake? (I have no blending knowledge whatsoever.)
Plugs are among the most historic of methods, often requiring whole leaves to be pressed into layers and then either rolled or kept flat and hardening over time. The immense pressure creates a much more dense product than a cake, or anything else on the market. Most plugs have to be shaved with a knife in order for you to smoke them. Some people don't like the work involved, but it basically prevents tongue bite 100% and when aged, the various flavors involve meld into a single homogenous one.

This is oversimplifying, but a cake is essentially like a ribbon or shag cut, but put into layers and pressed. You still get a compact product which grants you a cooler smoke than ribbon, but it'll smoke warmer warmer than pressed flakes, coins, or plugs. (Pressed flakes - think Orlik or Mac Baren - and coins are cut plugs)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Plugs are among the most historic of methods, often requiring whole leaves to be pressed into layers and then either rolled or kept flat and hardening over time. The immense pressure creates a much more dense product than a cake, or anything else on the market. Most plugs have to be shaved with a knife in order for you to smoke them. Some people don't like the work involved, but it basically prevents tongue bite 100% and when aged, the various flavors involve meld into a single homogenous one.

This is oversimplifying, but a cake is essentially like a ribbon or shag cut, but put into layers and pressed. You still get a compact product which grants you a cooler smoke than ribbon, but it'll smoke warmer warmer than pressed flakes, coins, or plugs. (Pressed flakes - think Orlik or Mac Baren - and coins are cut plugs)
That’s very helpful; thanks! I didn't know the the whole leaf and ribbon cut is what distinguished the two.

Reactions: jbfrady

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Like I mentioned earlier I first heard Per in Episode 67 which I listened to for the first time a few weeks ago. Per was so charming there. He talked tobacco with passion and knowledge and his banter and humor was so enjoyable. I thought that this is a man I would love to hear more from. Hearing this latest interview made me not only want to hear more from Per but now I really hope I can meet him at a show in person. His banter again was top notch and I loved his comments at the end about German vs. Danish meals and his reply to Brian saying that Per is likely not on King Charles’ invite list (you’ll have to listen to the interview to hear it for yourself). I was laughing out loud in my car with joy at this and several other moments in the interview.

I’m glad to hear that someone so accomplished in this business is finally releasing things under his own name. I’m eagerly awaiting the tobaccos he releases and possibly even more excited for Per-branded pipes.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
That’s very helpful; thanks! I didn't know the the whole leaf and ribbon cut is what distinguished the two.
As said, it's a little oversimplified but it holds true in generalities and nobody wants to read the dissertation I can spit out on a whim.

Like I mentioned earlier I first heard Per in Episode 67 which I listened to for the first time a few weeks ago. Per was so charming there. He talked tobacco with passion and knowledge and his banter and humor was so enjoyable. I thought that this is a man I would love to hear more from. Hearing this latest interview made me not only want to hear more from Per but now I really hope I can meet him at a show in person. His banter again was top notch and I loved his comments at the end about German vs. Danish meals and his reply to Brian saying that Per is likely not on King Charles’ invite list (you’ll have to listen to the interview to hear it for yourself). I was laughing out loud in my car with joy at this and several other moments in the interview.

I’m glad to hear that someone so accomplished in this business is finally releasing things under his own name. I’m eagerly awaiting the tobaccos he releases and possibly even more excited for Per-branded pipes.
Agreed! I only heard it in August and it helped me understand why I've loved every blend that's had his name on it. Be sure to these out... they're his tobacco description videos. (Albeit, they're from the villains who let him go, but they're well done and concise.)

Last edited: