PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scuffler

Lurker
Apr 29, 2024
Title edited for capitalization. See Rule 9.

I am sure this topis has been discussed a lot, but here I go. How do tobacco leaves for pipe tobacco differ from tobacco used in cigarettes? I mean do they spray the same chemicals on all tobaccos and then determine if they are going to be made in to pipe tobacco or cigarette tobacco. I have heard that pipe tobacco has fewer additives than cigarettes which is great for us pipe smokers. But it has never been explained how that is possible. Are the additives applied during the growing process and if so how does it differ from cigarette tobacco? Are they grown separately?.

Last edited by a moderator:
By regulation, pre-packaged cigarette tobacco must have the nicotine and tars controlled. Therefore they squeeze all liquids from the tobacco, reformulate the casings with added flavors and then rehydrate the cellulose of the leaf. Pipe tobaccos are sometimes cased, sometimes not. Just depends on the blend and blender.

RYO tobaccos are just the same as pipe tobaccos though. At one time, tobacco was just tobacco. You can still roll you up a rollie out of pipe tobacco. Many of our members here do that from time to time.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I can tell you that pipe tobacco for the oldest US tobacco house comes in thousand-pound bales of dry leaf without any of that stuff added. It is then rehydrated in their primary and cased or topped post-blending, depending upon the blend they are making. It does not have any of the cigarette tobacco process yet when they receive it.
This.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
By regulation, pre-packaged cigarette tobacco must have the nicotine and tars controlled. Therefore they squeeze all liquids from the tobacco, reformulate the casings with added flavors and then rehydrate the cellulose of the leaf. Pipe tobaccos are sometimes cased, sometimes not. Just depends on the blend and blender.

RYO tobaccos are just the same as pipe tobaccos though. At one time, tobacco was just tobacco. You can still roll you up a rollie out of pipe tobacco. Many of our members here do that from time to time.
The equivalent of a dinosaur chicken nugget. They didn’t come off the bone that way!

Reactions: kcghost
The process of making cigarette pulp compared to the more natural state of pipe and cigar tobacco.
Ohhhh, ok. Ha ha. Yeh, pipe tobacco is at least less adulterated in that it was never reduced to cellulose and then rehydrated. But, people assume that RYO is the same as the tobaccos in prepackaged cigarettes. It isn't.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Like has been said they're processed differently. I think in a super large part if you smoked heavily processed tobacco in a pipe it would be disgusting tasting. Pipes seem to amplify the flavors in my experience. As well as how the processing effects burn characteristics which would suck in a pipe. And lastly pipes ghost any off tasting chemical could build up in your pipe and really ruin flavor. Either way cigarettes are sold more like drugs. Where more thought goes into the intake into the bloodstream and how that effects the smoker. Where as pipes are pretty heavily focused on connoisseurship (I use that term loosely, just saying we talking about tastes and nuances a lot more then cig smokers and other minutia of joy)

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
AFAIK, the site is long gone, but it's been years since I last looked. Regardless, at one time, the maker of such blends as Troost at the turn of the century (Rothmans-BAT, I believe) listed all the ingredients in each blend they produced. There was also similar info about the Mac Baren blends making the rounds more recently.

Suffice to say, anyone assuming that pipe tobacco produced by the "big" makers was relatively unmolested tobacco would be sadly disabused of that notion. The list of ingredients for every blend was pretty lengthy, and extended past the expected flavourings and humectants.

You want pure? Buy your own leaf.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
They are not the same as cigarettes. The leaf is sweated and cured. There is a lot of natural processing involved. It really depends if it's a cheaper brand whether or not cheap artificial ingredients are added. That would be the casing. Most brands are cased with natural ingredients like sugar, spirits, spices, extracts, etc to bring out the flavor of the leaves and mellow it out. In a cigarette it is more for consistency. Pg is added in either extreme or not very much so to keep it wet and preserved. Very much a natural end product. Man-made, but all natural ingredients for the most part.

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad
Most brands are cased with natural ingredients
Russ Ouellette talked a lot about the natural ingredients he used in his Hearth and Home blends... but, using natural ingredients is what set his blends apart, as most companies do not. Cherry juice doesn't taste or smell much like cherries when burns, most flavors are this way, which is why most will find artificial alternatives that do.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Russ Ouellette talked a lot about the natural ingredients he used in his Hearth and Home blends... but, using natural ingredients is what set his blends apart, as most companies do not. Cherry juice doesn't taste or smell much like cherries when burns, most flavors are this way, which is why most will find artificial alternatives that do.
Well, okay maybe not the vast majority of cheap ones that constitute a larger number. But C&D, MacBaren, Peterson, Germains, and Gawith do not taste artificial to me. I believe they are doing it the old way.

Reactions: anotherbob

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pipe tobacco is real tobacco. Most cigarettes are reconstituted crap. Basically, they make a paper out of tobacco leaves, cellulose and a host of additives, then shred it. It isn't tobacco. Most pipe tobacco also contains additives, but those are generally more benign, intended to adjust pH, add sugar, and keep the tobacco feeling moist.

That said, the list of artificial ingredients found in many pipe tobaccos is voluminous. If you do not have first hand experience with what goes into some pipe pipe tobaccos, please do not speculate. You are probably incorrect.