PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
So, I'm smoking a pipe and one of my favorite pipe smoking activities is looking at pipes on the internet. I started looking at some nice Petersons, and I started wondering: what are the quintessential shapes from the major pipe makers? If someone said, "what does a Peterson pipe look like?" What shape would you show them? Not just Peterson, it could be any brand. What's the shape that defines a brand?

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
A Peterson pipe is noted as being "distinctively Irish" meaning a Pete should have more "robust proportions" of traditional pipe shapes. (In short, it's a manly, muscular, beefy pipe) Other features of a Peterson pipe are the metalwork, the slightly bent "straight pipe" and the P-lip button. For examples, see the 107 Billiard and the XL21 "Hudson" Bulldog below.
1683836027379.png1683836111160.png

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
So, I'm smoking a pipe and one of my favorite pipe smoking activities is looking at pipes on the internet. I started looking at some nice Petersons, and I started wondering: what are the quintessential shapes from the major pipe makers? If someone said, "what does a Peterson pipe look like?" What shape would you show them? Not just Peterson, it could be any brand. What's the shape that defines a brand?
That is a tricky question. As for Peterson, I would say typically (not always) is a chunky/beefy pipe

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A Peterson pipe is noted as being "distinctively Irish" meaning a Pete should have more "robust proportions" of traditional pipe shapes. (In short, it's a manly, muscular, beefy pipe) Other features of a Peterson pipe are the metalwork, the slightly bent "straight pipe" and the P-lip button. For examples, see the 107 Billiard and the XL21 "Hudson" Bulldog below.
View attachment 221110View attachment 221112
I concur
When I think "bulldog" (ie the DOG) I picture a large head, stout and a short body
The Pete XL21 (SH Hudson) embodies that (more than the 80S with its longer shank and stem)
And the P-lip, of course, even though I am not enamoured with it.

Dunhill offer pipes that are typically elegant in their design.
Older Dunhills and Loewes (with their billiards - both straight and bent) are the epitomy of English classicism and elegance
Mind you Dunhill has made their share of clunkers and oddities over the years

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When I think a pipe, it's always a bent billiard. Peterson SH Professor usually fits that image. But sometimes, something slightly smaller like 9BC fits better.

Reactions: tmcg81

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Most of the "quintessential" pipe shapes are French in origin, with different makers finding their particular take on those shapes. Barling, for example, was known for its pots, which are real workhorses. They made a great number of other shapes, as did the other British marques.
For example, Dunhilll's LC was based off of a Genod shape