PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Not much in French either. I found the name Chauvet Freres associated with wine and champagne. Who knows...maybe its from their ancestors. The timeline is close. It translates into Chauvet Brothers.

Here is an old ad but not for pipes. Back in the day its very possible they had some pipes made for them in St Claude to market with their other products.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Not much in French either. I found the name Chauvet Freres associated with wine and champagne. Who knows...maybe its from their ancestors. The timeline is close. It translates into Chauvet Brothers.

Here is an old ad but not for pipes. Back in the day its very possible they had some pipes made for them in St Claude to market with their other products.

Yes, that’s the only thing I found. Many champagne buckets and things for the vinophile.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

Yes, that’s the only thing I found. Many champagne buckets and things for the vinophile.
That's pretty much all I came up with as well.

Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
If anyone has any Info on a company called Chavet Freres or possibly Chauvet Freres, I've come up empty handed. They used the stamp C.F and that's about all I know. I'm not even sure if they were a tobacconist or a manufacturer, or maybe both.
From 1907 'Kelly's Directory of Merchants'. There may be more in other years of this book.

oBotOb5.png

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
And this... Usine de tabletterie dite usine de pipes Aschenbrenner et Cie ⋅ Patrimoine en Bourgogne-Franche-Comté - https://patrimoine.bourgognefranchecomte.fr/dossiers-inventaire/usine-de-tabletterie-dite-usine-de-pipes-aschenbrenner-et-cie-ia39000438

Once you get the street or area name, you can google that, then translate from the French. So google: Aschenbrenner Vuillard Chavet Freres or leave out Chavet Freres and add 'Pipes' to your search. You'll probably find loads of stuff, but in French.

You end up with the following, which, in conjunction with the other bit I showed, says Chavret Freres pipes were made at a pipe factory built by Aschenbrenner, Vuillard et Gros...I think.

Founded on January 1, 1883, the general partnership Aschenbrenner, Vuillard et Gros had a pipe factory built in 1893 and 1894 by the San Claudian architect Marius David at a place called Sur les Etapes. The company H. Aschenbrenner-Vuillard, bringing together in 1910 Henri Aschenbrenner and his two sons Maurice and Paul then, in 1921, Paul Aschenbrenner and Louis Reymondet, was succeeded in 1931 by the company Aschenbrenner et Cie, managed by Paul Aschenbrenner and Marcel David. Largely intended for export, the production consists of pipe heads and sculpted pipes, manually then mechanically, sold under the Bayard and Asco brands. Closed in 1961, the factory was converted into a building by the Public Housing Office. of the town of Saint-Claude, and expanded with automobile sheds.
Steam engine attested at the turn of the century. Purchase in 1943 of the wooden machine, built around 1863 by Dalloz-Dessertine, allowing the carving of 14 pipe heads at a time (currently on display at the Pipes and Diamonds Exhibition, in Saint-Claude).
Around twenty people at the factory in the 1920s, 7 (including 3 women) plus 2 at home in 1948.

Reactions: jpberg