PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I got quite of few English ones this week. It won’t stay with me long. But thought I would share here. It still isn’t that magnificent cracked Birdseye but it’ll do. It’ll do. lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0787.jpeg
    IMG_0787.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 24

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Nomenclature suggests 1947 to 1951.
I was actually trying to date it off of some of your earlier threads. I came up with The REGD on the stem around 39ish with absence of shape sizes. I’m glad you responded! lol I was off a few years!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was actually trying to date it off of some of your earlier threads. I came up with The REGD on the stem around 39ish with absence of shape sizes. I’m glad you responded! lol I was off a few years!
It's the "fossil" stamp. Barling didn't start using it until after WW2, AFAIK. Pre-War sandblasts appear to have been named "Nibblick" or no special stamping.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Sorry if this brings sadness to any of you!

This is the seller I bought it from. They accepted returns and were kind. So I was thankful for that. Just thought I’d share as the listing again doesn’t show the damage to the hidden gem in the back.

FFTYSVN

Lurker
May 17, 2024
inheritated some pipes from my dad (still with us!), who had some of his pipes from his father.

One of the pipes is a Barling and I am struggling to find much detail about it online. Based on what I have been able to find online the stamp suggests post transition/coporate era, but then the 4 digit model number starting with a 1 suggests family era? just curious to learn more about this particualr pipe

If any of you has some clues and/or comments, I'd appreciate it!

Attachments

• Barling 1636 London Englans.png
    Barling 1636 London Englans.png
    730.8 KB · Views: 14
  • TVF Stamp on bottom.png
    TVF Stamp on bottom.png
    420.8 KB · Views: 14

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
inheritated some pipes from my dad (still with us!), who had some of his pipes from his father.

One of the pipes is a Barling and I am struggling to find much detail about it online. Based on what I have been able to find online the stamp suggests post transition/coporate era, but then the 4 digit model number starting with a 1 suggests family era? just curious to learn more about this particualr pipe

If any of you has some clues and/or comments, I'd appreciate it!
The Barling logo is hard to read. Is it in script as opposed to block letters? And does it say London England below the logo stamp? Where is the TVF stamp placed relative to the rest of the nomenclature? Also, what is the model number?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A Yachtsman? Zulu?

Anyway, in addition to posting what you can read in reply to the above, more photos of the nomenclature could help.

FFTYSVN

Lurker
May 17, 2024
One last question about the slot. Are the East/West ends of the slot straight or curved?
I’m fairly certain that this pipe was made in the early 1970’s.
One last question about the slot. Are the East/West ends of the slot straight or curved?
I’m fairly certain that this pipe was made in the early 1970’s.
see picture - do know anything about the model number - 1636? What would you call the shape? Really appreciate all the info!

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ok, so there's some handwork in this stem, which would normally place it earlier in the Corporate Era. But, there's also a 4 digit number beginning with a 1, and a TVF stamp, which indicates that it's later.

When the Barling model numbering system was revamped in 1962 the four digit numbering system adopted didn't use a 1 for the first digit. The first numbers ranged from 2 through 6. The reason for that was to avoid confusing these pipes with the older four digit pipes made for the domestic (UK) market during the Family Era.

Also, when the logo was changed from a block lettered "BARLING'S MAKE" to a script "Barling" or "Barlings" at the end of 1962, the TVF stamp was dropped. It didn't make its reappearance until around 1965, as near as I can tell.

I dug out my copies of the two catalogs that Barling published in 1962, the 150th Anniversary Catalog from midyear and the Dealer's Catalog from November of 1962 that shows the revised nomenclature and product lines.

What first struck me was the length of the thick section of the saddle stem. The thick section of Barling stems were either shorter in length than in diameter, or nearly the same. There are a couple of examples where the length is noticeably longer, but not with this shape. After looking through the two catalogs it also became apparent that the proportions of the bowl are different than the Barling shape, which is taller.

So these factors, bowl proportions, stem proportions, four digit number beginning with a 1, outweigh the finish on the slot, which suggests to me that this pipe was made in the early to mid 1970's, after the Barling factories were shuttered, when Imperial Tobacco, which owned Barling at that time, decided to outsource the manufacture of Barling pipes to Charatan and to Oppenheimer, before turning over manufacturing to Nording.

FFTYSVN

Lurker
May 17, 2024
Thank you so much for all the details! I had found the info on block to script change and the 4 digits starting with 2 - and 1 representing English stock prior - so that conflicting detail had me give up on my own research :)

I don’t know enough about pipes just yet but for what it’s worth I love smoking this ~55 yr old pipe - so if quality post family era was an issue I now want to know what a 1960 Barling could do for me 😌

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A trio of Barling straight Bulldogs
IMG_7872.jpegIMG_7870.jpeg

Thanks to Jesse’s (@sablebrush52) detailed guide above they can be dated as
Top : Family era
Middle: Early corporate era
Bottom: Late corporate era

All 3 pipes were drilled correctly with central draught holes at the bottom of the bowls

I smoked MacBaren’s HH Pure Virginia in them consecutively this afternoon

All 3 bowls smoked down to the bottom (with meer chips or Nording Keystones) with no relights

I had no time to dry the tobacco today.

Slight gurgling with both the family and early corporate era pipes - needing a pipe cleaner or two. Zero gurgling with the late corporate era one.

All three pipes smoked well

The first two had narrower airways - I had to use Stanwell thin cleaners as they won’t pass the fluffy cleaners I usually use.
No such problem with the third pipe.

Please note I have no experience with the Danish or the recent Kopp produced Barlings

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A trio of Barling straight Bulldogs
View attachment 311358View attachment 311359

Thanks to Jesse’s (@sablebrush52) detailed guide above they can be dated as
Top : Family era
Middle: Early corporate era
Bottom: Late corporate era

All 3 pipes were drilled correctly with central draught holes at the bottom of the bowls

I smoked MacBaren’s HH Pure Virginia in them consecutively this afternoon

All 3 bowls smoked down to the bottom (with meer chips or Nording Keystones) with no relights

I had no time to dry the tobacco today.

Slight gurgling with both the family and early corporate era pipes - needing a pipe cleaner or two. Zero gurgling with the late corporate era one.

All three pipes smoked well

The first two had narrower airways - I had to use Stanwell thin cleaners as they won’t pass the fluffy cleaners I usually use.
No such problem with the third pipe.

Please note I have no experience with the Danish or the recent Kopp produced Barlings
It’s possible that the third pipe was made by Charatan, whose pipes were drilled with a 4mm bore for straights and 4.7mm for vents, according to Ken Barnes.

• Love
Reactions: OzPiper