PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My Mastercraft Royal Ascot Supreme Algerian is out for delivery, making this the first honest to God, no denying it, briar chimney pipe I’ve had in over fifty years of pipe smoking.

$15 is cheap admission to the Chimney owner’s club, especially in Algerian briar.

IMG_6647.jpeg
IMG_6650.jpegIMG_6649.jpegIMG_6648.jpeg

I don’t know the official dimensions that constitute a chimney but that is a chimney.

Why aren’t they more popular?

Essentially it’s a Canadian where the shank is made into a bowl and the bowl is turned down to make a shank.

They aren’t too common around Bug Tussle, anyway.:)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My pipe had a coat of shellac or varnish that peeled right off, revealing very fancy grain below.

What little cake and lava peeled right off using a sharp pocketknife. This is characteristic of old Algerian briar.

The smoking experience is different, like smoking a cigarette. The bore is .730” and it’s about 2.5” high, and 65 grams.

Free of varnish, it’s coloring red dramatically. It’s an extraordinarily good yet mild smoker.

IMG_6651.jpeg

Halfway down the first bowl.
IMG_6654.jpeg

IMG_6653.jpeg

If you love trying something different about pipe smoking buy an old pipe that you are certain has top grade Algerian briar.

The amount of insulation against heat in these is shockingly better.

And why an unvarnished example will color a dark red brown I don’t know except they all do.

Plus they are cheap as dirt. For $15 I have one of the best smokers I own.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
For the folks that might doubt the magical ability of true, pre 54, high grade Algerian briar to color in one smoke, here’s my Royal Ascot Supreme Chimney this morning before I cleaned it and removed the varnish.

IMG_6647.jpegIMG_6648.jpeg

One smoke, adding beeswax

IMG_6655.jpeg
IMG_6656.jpeg
Words and photos cannot describe how much more expensive and luxurious the pipe presents when colored. And it’s going to keep coloring.

The smoke took over an hour and half. The bore (.730”)is about three times smaller than the height (2.5”) of the chamber.

In that hour and a half of pure bliss the flavor changed from a mild, fragrant cigarette like taste to a bold, rich, pipey taste by the end.

Regardless of briar type, a true chimney ought to offer a progressive change in smoking experience.

Get your tamper and pick out, you’ll need it.

If you don’t have one, you want one and may not know it yet.:)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Good Lord, why in the world did more than one peddler of high grade Algerian briar pipes cover up the grain and nearly prevent coloring by sealing it up with varnish? WDC stained and covered up Algerian and others, but except for one Super Briar I own that was nearly colorless, Robert Marx pollished and the left the braid natural, or on the $3.50 Mel-o line stained the pipe about the same umber they’d color to be.

After three smokes. This pipe was polished and buffed to a very high polish, then they slopped on a tan varnish.

Tan pipes must have been in style.

IMG_6663.jpeg
IMG_6664.jpeg

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
For the folks that might doubt the magical ability of true, pre 54, high grade Algerian briar to color in one smoke, here’s my Royal Ascot Supreme Chimney this morning before I cleaned it and removed the varnish.
The briar has nothing to do with it man! You are simply changing the finish, making the briar appear a different color.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The briar has nothing to do with it man! You are simply changing the finish, making the briar appear a different color.

So long as they made it I sprayed an aerosol wax on all my pipes for twenty years and for the last twenty I’ve used beeswax,,,.hundreds of times on hundreds of pipes.

Yes they’ll darken a little, but that lasts only as long as the wax. All briar does season, and darken with use.

But Algerian briar colored outrageously, and while the coloring is only a whisker deep, it just keeps on coloring.

And not all Algerian colors at the same rate, although sometimes like this Royal Ascot Supreme they just color to red immediately.

Four smokes

IMG_6674.jpeg

Wax doesn’t assume that red color on other briar.

And it’s hard for me to think the tars in the smoke are getting trapped by the wax.

If the pipe is varnished it hardly colors. If it’s heavily caked it seems to stop coloring.

I think there were some kind of tannins, sap, oils.,,,.something,,,,in the briar that hate heat. If the briar can breathe they push towards the surface and get trapped by the wax. Those same reddish oils or whatever they are must also impart a spicey taste to ancient Algerian briar.

Black walnut trees have a substance called jugalone that is alleged to help them compete against other plants and not be as tasty to herbivores. There are other plants that may have chemicals that prevent competition or depredation from insects.

Maybe when a heather shrub fights for a hundred years on a mountain in Algeria the survivors have some reddish oil that helped them survive in one of the harshest environments on earth.

But if they can breathe the things will color red, every one, every time, just at different rates. And the color is about like a black walnut stain, which does come from oils in the husk.

Why we don’t notice it, is that since 1954 new pipes made of the oldest, mountain grown, most expensive Algerian briar have nearly dropped to nothing.

You have to prowl eBay to buy them.:)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
And it’s hard for me to think the tars in the smoke are getting trapped by the wax.

If the briar can breathe they push towards the surface and get trapped by the wax.

I mean…….I just can’t anymore…..

Sure, it’s the sap. 🤦‍♂️

Rock on, brotha. You’re a wild one but we love ya anyway.