PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I mean…….I just can’t anymore…..

Sure, it’s the sap. 🤦‍♂️

Rock on, brotha. You’re a wild one but we love ya anyway.

A question:

Whatever the reason some Algerian colors far more evenly, quicker, and a deeper shade of red than others. This one is a quicker, more even and redder shade than most but they’ll all do lt if they are waxed.

Six smokes

IMG_6675.jpeg

The makers had to have known it would color faster if they waxed it like other highly polished waxed pipes.

Why does either a sealer on the outside or a little bit of cake slow down the coloring process?

How, does it know?.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There are pipe smokers that swear most of explaining a good smoking pipe is in the construction and not so much, quality of the briar.

This new to me Chimney is one of their best arguments.

The bore is narrow in relation to height, a straight cylinder, with a beautiful cone on the bottom.

And this pipe has the largest draft hole of any pipe I own. It’s difficult to clog and if you smoke it down all the way ashes go right through it. The draw is effortless. The boring looks factory made to me, for one reason I’d never drill one out that large.

I think this would be a good smoker, or at least a noticeably different smoker, if made of clay, meerschaum, cob or any kind of wood.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
The folks at Pipe-dan in the 1960’s were the ultimate chimney freaks.

These are all from the same 1962 Catalog (which is worth a look in general, the Danish shaping revolution was going wild with legendary carvers at the helm. The Pipe-dan pipedia page has a link to the full catalog):

View attachment 278921View attachment 278922View attachment 278923View attachment 278924View attachment 278925View attachment 278926
Damn, those 1st few look like they could smoke up an entire pouch/tin worth of tobacco in 1 sitting.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The only chimney I have is a MM Freehand that I smoked once or twice. I just don't have the time (and the nic tolerance) in my life to smoke a full bowl of this in 1 sitting.

View attachment 279244

Not to be contrary but a Freehand MM is an enormous Dublin.

A MacAurthur and a General are sort of chimneys.

A chimney has to tall and skinny, not tall and fat.

A specie of reloadable cigarillo.

If it’s in the right proportion the change in how it smokes as it smokes down is dramatic.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m not certain what to call my Hackert. Stack billiard? View attachment 279721

If Robert Marx had made that it would be a Chubby Jumbo shape.

A stack, or chimney, has a narrow bore and extra tall bowl, regular wall thickness, and the shank and stem are regular proportions or perhaps tending towards skinny.

It’s not blasted, but here’s a Chubby Jumbo (Big Boy)

IMG_5938.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123