PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Reactions: jpmcwjr

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I'm no restorer so I avoid acquiring pipes that may need to end up in the hands of an expert before I can smoke them.
I was browsing an online selling site here (it lists everything fom old junk to new cars) when I spotted this dirty looking pipe. The pictures were poor and the only information it had was ''England''. As it gave me a good feeling, especially the shape, and it was very cheap I bought it.

Not only did it turn out to be a Sasieni it was in pretty good condition considering its age. As it was mostly just covered in grime a good wipe with a damp cloth was all that was needed then an application of walnut oil to bring the grain back to life.

Before.

SASIENI.png

After.

WP-20200520-008.jpg

Sasieni88.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
1st gonna ping @ssjones to post his lovely recent GBD project!

2nd here's my S Bang rescue from an antique shop, got it with a pipe stand and a few other decent pipes for about $200; both the shop owner and myself thought we made out like bandits... :ROFLMAO:

I don't have a 'before' before picture as I was excited to get to work on the pipe, but it had a pretty scorched rim and a crusty stem - here's a pic after I've stripped the original stain, fixed up the rim without taking too much off, and spent a lifetime micropadding the oxidation from the stem:

W4yX2h5l.jpg

And here she is after I made my best attempt at mimicking the Castello Aristocratica stain; but given the S Bang's Danish heritage, I decided to go with a more rose brown. The results came out a little more red than I had anticipated but I was still happy with the project overall.

S. Bang 'self-resto" Aristocratica Rossa:

Lien4POl.jpg

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Holy Cow! Thank you! What a fine job on spiffing up the meerschaum lining.....

I am sure a number of us would like to know what steps you took to get there.
I used dental tools to chip away the build up and sanded it with rough to fine sand paper around my finger. The inside of the lower bowl is still darker, but is cleaned up.

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Well done, sir ! Great job on the restoration, you're an expert .
Would you mind sharing the process ? How did you clean up the rims ?
With the lava buildup I recently discovered that a damp Mr. Clean magic eraser worked great. As for the charing and out of round rim I top just a little bit of the bowl, and bevel the inner rim a little to make it round.

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Thank you for sharing.
Did you finish the rim with sandpaper wrapped around your finger ,
like we sand out the bowl with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel ?
That is unorthodox :)
Yeah I did. This is my first meer pipe I’ve worked on. Let me know if the way I did it was wrong, or damaging to the liner. I’m always learning

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
On a topping board?
I don’t have a dedicated board. I just use sandpaper at what ever work bench I’m at making sure it’s even removal. Use the rough grit to take off most of the amount you are topping. Then work up through the finer sandpaper.

I learned the hard way with the first pipe I topped, if it’s a bent pipe have the shank hang over the edge. I was lucky it was just a cracked Grabow I used to learn the techniques.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I found this old beat up pipe at a yard sale for .50 cents!!
I just couldn't believe it, I knew it would clean up real nice. It took a LOT more work than I expected, but I'm pleased with the results..........
BEFORE:
IMG_8675.JPG

After many hours of cleaning, finally!! The AFTER pic!!

IMG_8676.JPG

I'm enjoying the restorations so far, looking forward to finding another soon...... puffy