PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Roach1

Can't Leave
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
Since I am getting back to the pipe and have purchased several blends that were delivered in ziplock bags. I want to store in mason jars . How tight should the jars be packen? Lose,tight or in between? Thanks for the help.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Depending on how much I need to jar I’m not too concerned about how tight I pack a jar. What I’m more concerned about is keeping the lid clear of anything that might prevent a good seal.
This! I see so many people turning jars upside down, shaking them etc. I always check lids and replace when reusing the jars. Also keep your boxes from the jars for easy stacking.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
This! I see so many people turning jars upside down, shaking them etc. I always check lids and replace when reusing the jars. Also keep your boxes from the jars for easy stacking.
Keeping those boxes is a really good idea and I’m glad I did that as I’ve had to move a few times the past couple of years.

I also bought a canning funnel to help get the tobacco in the jar cleanly and avoiding losing any of it.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Very tightly packed. You can get a full pound of tobacco into one 64 ounce Jar as long as you press it down as you fill.
1703953847379.jpeg
Makes storage a breeze and a space saver without so many smaller Mason jars about.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I packed some really tight to save space and upon opening the jars 5 years later, the tobacco is the same for the most part. Jars packed loose aged better. Also if the tobacco is extremely dry it doesn’t change much. That’s my experience from 5 years of stashing blends.
Yes, better at the moisture it's shipped at.

But loosely packed tobacco doesn't age better; it ages differently.

I prefer to jam as much in as the jar will hold.

MichaelMP5

Lurker
Dec 20, 2023
I had the opportunity to buy a big bag of Russ Oulette's Black House back in 2011 here in PA at a ridiculous per lb price. I packed it in several quart mason jars and let screwed the lids on tight. After 13 years, it's still wonderful.

I did the same with Sleepy Hollow from 2017, still moist. I pack Northwoods into several, and the jar I open the most has definitely dried, but still very good.

IME, packing tight is just fine for loose bulks.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I use mason jars for long term storage. I used to just screw on the top, and that's probably fine but there are some better ways. Put a bead of water around the rim. Dunno if it makes a difference but worked for me and could not hurt. Then, I used vacuum seal on my meal saver bag sealer. They make a thing to use on jars. That's my standard now. As for packing tight or not I have no idea but I do know the jars work better than meal saver or food saver bags. I dunno about mylar, I've not done that. Don't overthink it, the mason jars work great.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I press mine down fairly firm as to get as much air out as possible. And I make sure it's filled to the top. When trying to preserve organic material for some time, air is your enemy. puffy

Reactions: bent1