PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have quite a collection of hand thrown teapots. I started by collecting pots made by my ex missus's family of Seth Cardew & his son Ara but I have broadened my reach to other well known potters.

Here is one made by Alan Pett....

pot 1.jpg

This one is by David Leech (son of Bernard Leech, renowned for reintroducing studio pottery into Britain)......

pot 1.jpg

This beauty is by Jack Kenny.....

pot 2.jpg

This is a recent addition made by Ray Finch at Winchcombe Pottery...

pot 1.jpg

And another by Ray Finch....

pot 8.jpg
This is one by Seth Cardew...this one arrived sans bamboo handle but I soon sourced one & fitted it....

pot 1.jpg

And another Seth Cardew, this is actually very tiny and was made to order. It holds just the one cup of tea.

teapot 1.jpg
And finally another one by Seth, this is a whopper and came with one of his jugs....

pot 1.jpg

Jay.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I have quite a collection of hand thrown teapots. I started by collecting pots made by my ex missus's family of Seth Cardew & his son Ara but I have broadened my reach to other well known potters.

View attachment 291083

This one is by David Leech (son of Bernard Leech, renowned for reintroducing studio pottery into Britain)......

View attachment 291090

View attachment 291093

View attachment 291094

View attachment 291095
This is one by Seth Cardew...this one arrived sans bamboo handle but I soon sourced one & fitted it....

View attachment 291097

And another Seth Cardew, this is actually very tiny and was made to order. It holds just the one cup of tea.

View attachment 291098
And finally another one by Seth, this is a whopper and came with one of his jugs....

View attachment 291099

Jay.
A wonderful collection, Jay! I particularly like the Jack Kenny.

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I just have never heard of anyone making something to consume with distilled water. It doesn't have any minerals in it, which is what most would attribute to good tasting water. Usually folks would say that it tastes flat or bland. But, maybe with tea, it's different. Just curious.
Always used distilled because my well water tastes great but is heavy in calcium. The modern electric makers are destroyed within a few.months.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
For those who remember my complaint about the poor design of teapots.
Here is something I conjured up myself from what I found in the cupboard.
The big tea leaves will not get stuck in this spout. Neither will it be hard to clean.
I'm a genius.

Just hope my wife doesn't ask what I'm doing with her milk jug.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 4

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I don't entertain at all, or try my best not to......but I imagine the person who commissioned that particular teapot was probably some little old dame who just wanted a one cup teapot for herself.

Jay.
For reasons long forgotten, I was given a single-cup Bialetti Mocha Express pot for coffee... makes about enough to pour on a portion of ice cream. Now ornamental and I drink Percol Espresso instantaneous coffee, when I drink it at all.

As my strength returns slowly after illness, I've been eying up my Brown Bess; it will return to the fray in due course and make a mess anew.

Reactions: edger and JOHN72

ItsKarl

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2024
Norway
I use one of these, practical as all hell:

71YQLfVa5fL.jpg

And the "never wash your teapot" is an old wives' tale. You should never wash earthenware pots, as they will absorb water and whatever you put in it, but glazed, metal and glass pots? Wash away. Just rinse carefully afterwards and you'll have no soapy taste at all.

Reactions: SBC and edger

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Re: Dissolved solids in water. My tap water is ca. 300 ppm, so I use half distilled water and half tap to come up with water in my espresso machine that's about 150 ppm, what some experts in the coffee world say is the right balance.

Used to live in Illinois... all that great limestone! Calcium shows up fast and white!

ItsKarl

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2024
Norway
Re: Dissolved solids in water. My tap water is ca. 300 ppm, so I use half distilled water and half tap to come up with water in my espresso machine that's about 150 ppm, what some experts in the coffee world say is the right balance.

Used to live in Illinois... all that great limestone! Calcium shows up fast and white!
I guess we get a little spoiled living in Scandinavia. The best tasting water, by and large, comes right out of our taps. Otherwise, I'd buy drinking water before distilled water. Not least because I have no idea where to even get distilled water. The closest I've found is battery water in gas stations, which is demineralised water (I use it to bash my hats). Apparently, distilled water is fairly ubiquitous in the US. In these parts, not so much.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
For those who remember my complaint about the poor design of teapots.
Here is something I conjured up myself from what I found in the cupboard.
The big tea leaves will not get stuck in this spout. Neither will it be hard to clean.
I'm a genius.

Just hope my wife doesn't ask what I'm doing with her milk jug.

"It's a poor workman that blames his tools" said someone once :rolleyes:

Jay.
Its worse than that. My wife has realised what I'm doing and I'm now banned from using that jug.
But at least the concept pretty much works. Just need to find a new jug.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net

View attachment 291083

View attachment 291090

View attachment 291093

View attachment 291094

View attachment 291095

View attachment 291097

View attachment 291098

View attachment 291099

Jay.
Is this for an ugly teapot competition?