PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’ve never had a dog but my wife really wanted one. We have two small boys and I guess it’s also good for them. Anyway, we bought a 5-month old Labrador Retriever. He’s coming next week. I’m a bit worried about this choice. I’m looking forward to it but I’m also worried. So, tell me about your love for man’s best friend…something I’ll never regret?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
A lab will do well with exercise. That is the case with a lot of dogs. My dog is old and I dont know how I will manage when he is gone. There is nothing quite like a good dog and a great dog is a once in a lifetime experience. Its about the only unconditional love you will get in this world. You have little to worry about. Attend to good training up front and it will reep rewards for years.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Dogs are wonderful and a real pain in the ass sometimes. I’ve built a schedule that works for us both and I try to stick to it because dogs appreciate routine just like kids. Labrador Retrievers are an excellent dog with kids around and I think 6 months from now you’ll be wondering how you ever lived without the little guy. They add so much to your life… sometimes frustration… always unconditional love.

IMG_0644.jpeg

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I’ve owned 5 dogs. The last three were acquired by walking into a shelter and finding the dog that appeared to need the most help out of the place, with one of them being deformed in the front legs. All of them became my best friends.

My friend Tacoda, who I thought I rescued on the side of the highway must have been sent to me straight from great spirit. He helped guide me through some pretty difficult 13 years of my life and he showed me the beauty of the outdoors.

20.JPG

Last edited:
Immediately start obedience training. I've always had well trained dogs, and there's no excuse not to do it. It really helps the dog also, to know what behavior is expected.

Our newest Anatolian Shepherd has been a challenge. They have free will like a cat, but we stay at her, and it really helps... especially when we have to get her to let go of someone's face. puffy

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Immediately start obedience training. I've always had well trained dogs, and there's no excuse not to do it. It really helps the dog also, to know what behavior is expected.

Our newest Anatolian Shepherd has been a challenge. They have free will like a cat, but we stay at her, and it really helps... especially when we have to get her to let go of someone's face. puffy
I was just cursing myself under my breath as I returned from a walk with Sam. He pulls too much and stops every 10 feet! He’s a great dog but man I should have been stricter with him as a pup. I’ve seen extremely well-behaved dogs and it’s a pleasure to interact with them. Obedience training is so important.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I was just cursing myself under my breath as I returned from a walk with Sam. He pulls too much and stops every 10 feet! He’s a great dog but man I should have been stricter with him as a pup. I’ve seen extremely well-behaved dogs and it’s a pleasure to interact with them. Obedience training is so important.
Just have to meet on common ground. I taught my puppy jack to bikejoring a while back ;)

It didn’t take long and I’ve also now trained my beagle/pit mix but this is my puppy jack here.

Our Anatolian is 150 lbs bred for aggression and independence. If she wanted, there would be no way for me to restrain her. But, with some obedience, she knows to look back at me for a sign if she is wondering whether to attack or not. She is always disappointed that I never give her permission, ha ha. I need to walk her in more dangerous neighborhoods, ha ha.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
For some reason, my father always had very small dogs (Chihuahuas) until after I left home. They were wonderful pets and meant a lot to me. And they are fearless. I remember our male dog chasing a full-grown boxer and biting him right on the butt hole. As an adult I switched to cats because I didn't want to be walking a dog two-three times a day. Cats are 100% different animals.