PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
Every once in a while, I'll get brown smoke. Not the blue or sometimes gray color. Any reason why this happens. I'm smoking Meade Hall right now.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Hmmm ... Aside from this picture, I have never seen that before. I hope you're not smoking the wood.
brown-smoke.jpg

Anyone else know?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have no idea why you would be getting brown smoke. I have never seen that.
Make sure that you are not smoking too fast and are not burning the briar. But then again, I am not sure if burning brair or wood would produce brown smoke either.
Hopefully some others will weigh in with something.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
It doesn't happen often. It seems like it happens when I get near the end of the bowl. Plus I think the tobacco is a rather wetter tobacco and I don't dry it out before I smoke it. Also I can always tell when I get near the end cause the smoke gets hotter in my mouth and that seems to be when it happens. And it's only like a few puffs, not too much. It doesn't last long.
So it may just be a common case of smoking it too fast and getting it too hot.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
When I get to a point where the ember has died-out, I too notice that the last, cold puff is dark and sooty. Brown smoke would be a good description. It doesn't taste too whippy either. I can't say that one tobacco does this more than another -- or even that it happens all the time. My guess is that I'm sucking ash (no scatological cynicism intended.)

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
Yes, that's right. That's exactly what I think is going on. I'm glad I'm not the only one. You explained it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.