PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Love these half sour garlic pickles, the only problem is 3 years ago they were 4.50 a jar and now they are NINE EFFING DOLLARS A JAR... needless to say i don't eat them anymore.

View attachment 304521

We used to buy specialty pickles and pickled string beans, asparagus etc. I won't pay the current prices either. We just skip that section now and move on to the Claussen pickles if we want pickles for sandwiches.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
We used to buy specialty pickles and pickled string beans, asparagus etc. I won't pay the current prices either. We just skip that section now and move on to the Claussen pickles if we want pickles for sandwiches.
Batampte pickles at my Stop and Shop are $7.50 bucks a jar. Yes, they've increased in price, but as an occassional indulgence they are, in my view, worth ever penny . They are best when bright green. As they age in the jar they darken, change in flavor and are less crisp.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For years, I made pickles of all sorts. When we lived in Central New Jersey, Kirby's were cheap, I'd buy 'em by the bushel at roadside stands. Then I hit the Pickle Saturation Point. I still love 'em, but I've made and eaten enough for several lifetimes!

Reactions: JOHN72
I can't eat any of those vinegar soaked things. I prefer fermented pickles, like God intended pickles to be. This is where the cucumbers are set in brine, not distilled vinegar, and the pickle ferments into a vinegar. This is how pickles are meant to be. Those vinegar bombs that grannies started making about 80 years ago were meant to mimic real pickles.
Try a real one, and you'll never eat that vinegar shit again.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Every year we make a big batch of fermented pickles using large crocks that my great grandmother used for the same thing. So much more complex and interesting tasting than commercial pickles.

We usually ferment a bunch of cayennes for making hot sauce but I have plenty left from last season so not this year.

I also pickle pepperoncini peppers. This year I’ve got 10 plants going so maybe they’ll last through the winter but I eat them a jar at a time so...

Fermentation is fun and easy, too bad more people aren’t inclined to give it a shot.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I’m very fond of pickles of all kinds. Takuan and rakkyo are my favorites. I could live on takuan and white rice for days and be perfectly happy.

I really like bread and butter pickles. On that note, anyone else here like Fibber McGee and Molly?

Fibber McGee and Molly 1948 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive - https://archive.org/details/FibberMcGeeandMolly1948/480120_Mollys_Pickles_Auctioned_At_Womens_Bazaar.mp3

This one’s damn funny. I usually suggest this episode as an introduction.

beargreasediet

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2021
The Prairie
A good dill is hard not to like. The local Aldi’s has some that are tastier than most. Used to pickle Fresno peppers to use on a smoked tri-tip sandwich we used to do, with some brandied Demi glacé au jus, horseradish sauce and arugula. They were divine.

Now that we’re out in the country will have to try the fermented pickles…. I like to hide a pickle on occasion as well.