PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Ton of Ronnie on YouTube.
Indeed!

UK Championship underway - he plays Tuesday. For me, sometimes tricky to find the live feed for events - used to consistently be on DAZN but gave up the subscription when things got spotty a couple of years ago.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Formula 1 -I've been a fan since the late 1970's. The season just ended. I always say, another season over, how many do you get. Wife just rolls here eyes, but you can't stop mortality!

Ravens fan - lucky to have two Superbowls (Colts fan as a boy, left the NFL when the Colts left Baltimore. I said if Baltimore gets another team, I'd come back (wow, that was in 1996).

Capitals Fan - since the early 1980's. Fortunate for one Stanley Cup.

Not a fan of baseball, soccer, basketball or golf, I tell my wife that she is lucky!

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I watch NBA the most out of all sports. I'm sitting here watching the Milwaukee/Portland game as I type this.

I watch some NFL and college football.

I never watch baseball, golf, tennis or any auto racing.

I also enjoy World Cup soccer.
Finally my Timberwolves are playing well. What could go wrong? 🤪

Reactions: scloyd
G

Gimlet

Oddly, one of the "sports" I find most watchable on TV is darts. Not exactly an athletic pursuit but strangely compelling. It shouldn't work on the screen but somehow it does. And I don't play darts either.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Can't stand TV's showing sports (or anything else) in pubs either. If I approach a bar and see a massive TV screen on the wall showing a football match I move on. Fortunately I rarely frequent pubs anymore as I no longer enjoy drinking, but when I did I would dread a world cup year. Wall to wall football everywhere and no conversation.
Exactly this. A big screen showing soccer, no conversation possible.
I you don't consider shouting and cheering as conversation, that is.

Reactions: Gimlet
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I was athletic in my youth, I wrestled and played baseball as well as running track and cross country. But I have never watched sports, I have zero interest in it. I view "professional" sports as social opiates and money harvesting. Just as the Roman games were 1000 years ago, they are a way to distract the masses and bilk them of their hard earned dollars. Now that sports betting is nationwide and in the palm of everyone's hand, I am more disgusted by professional sports than I've ever been. I am however not completely immune to the spectacle of competition I do occasionally enjoy watching and participating in motorsports, anything but NASCAR. I'm currently building a land speed motorcycle that I hope to run at Bonneville in the next few years.

I always get a chuckle out of people who make professional sports their entire life and personality. I've known several people who can cite every sports statistic known, they knew everything about every player on "their team", all they talk about is the game last night. Yet, they have no other discernible skill whatsoever. Don't you think all that brain power could have put to better use learning a skill that would benefit you financially, socially, or personally? I guess it's no different than people who make their political affiliations their defining characteristic. 🤷‍♂️

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Here in Kentucky, basketball is religion and horse racing is THE vice of choice.

I've never played a round of golf in my life, but I've always enjoyed watching it played at a high level. Understanding the nuance of the links and the intricacies of the clubs goes a long way to appreciating it.
I started playing Tiger Woods Golf on PS2, then PS3 and PS4. Friends and I got reallly in to it for about a decade and some change. That was the seed for my appreciation of golf I guess.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I used to watch NFL football religiously before kids, but it got hard to devote that kind of time to watching a sport. It USED to be a couple of games on Sunday (that were televised) and a Monday night game.

Now it's Thursday night, all day Sunday, Sunday night and Monday night. And that is just a regular week with no "bonus" games.

Kind of hard to check out for that much time with kids and work and house and wife and...well, you get the point.

I'm an occasional baseball fan, but mostly through the post-season. Didn't watch a single playoff game or WS game this year, though.

Hockey, on the other hand is a different story. The season is long and since I follow two teams from different conferences (Lightning and Kraken), I can usually catch a game or two during the week. The Lightning games are early for me since I'm on the west coast so I can put them on while I'm finishing up work or starting dinner. Kraken games are usually primetime, so I can have them on my phone if the wife and I are watching something different on the main screen. But more often than not, we'll watch the Kraken together.

I also like that Hockey games are relatively short compared to other sports. They are generally just over 2hrs for a game, and the action is non-stop. And since it's a long season, if I miss a game here or there it's not a big deal.

I will, however, usually watch as many games as I can during the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Some of the best hockey ever!!

I'll watch the occasional MLS game or English Premier League game. My youngest son is really into soccer, so it's a good time for us to watch something together.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Homer of a Husker fan. Will watch the football game and read about the team religiously. Its a bit of a Nebraska thing. Also the basketball team, wrestling if I come across it, Wife and daughter watch the Volleyball team like I do football. The baseball team in the spring/summer also.

All Dallas Cowboy games when listed for my viewing area. Same with Boston Celtics. MLB is casual as a Cubs fan. Did enjoy following the Rangers run this year though.

Big Liverpool fan for the Premier league and watch whenever on.

F1 is an occasional watch if nothing else is on.

Also, @HawkeyeLinus do you think Ferentz quits after this year? I really dislike the Hawkeyes, But respect the hell out of your teams and KF.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
College football is the only sports I truly get passionate about. Throw in some Blackhawks hockey and the golf majors and I am pretty satisfied. Just can’t get into baseball, soccer, or basketball with so many games each season. No particular game seems to have enough significance to get excited about.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Note to Premier League fans: Every damn game is televised! 2-4 games on broadcast TV (NBC) and the rest stream via Peacock.

Liverpool is a great team to watch, a lot of very good players. Good for them tying City this weekend.

Reactions: JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I liked playing sports when I was young, but watching sports never appealed to me unless it was part of a social situation, like watching a game with my family, attending a game with a girlfriend, or rooting for my college team. I have zero interest in watching professional sports on my own. Just bores the shit out of me.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I like Formula 1.
My favourite team was Benetton.
I was gutted when they finished.
The cars were usually so pretty.
Even as late as 1994 they looked good and were pretty much the only team with that raised nose.
Just look at them.
Made a little boy happy for a few years between 1989 and 1994 when I started watching F1.

1701158914306.png
1701158944231.png

PS The team existed for a few years after 1994. Winning constructors in 1995. But they went really rubbish afterwards. 😢

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I only have time to keep up with 1 professional sport at a time. Tennis is currently what I watch. I have more fun playing than I do watching.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
This happened to me with Pro basketball. I've always been a UNC college basketball fan. I grew up watching prime Michael Jordan and the Bulls put on a show that had never been witnessed before, or since. After Mj left the second time, I tried to continue to be a Bulls fan, but the game just wasn't the same. Years later I was flipping channels and saw Rasheed Wallace playing for the Pistons and I became a pistons fan for a while. After that season I pretty much gave up on the NBA again. Haven't ever been able to rekindle any sort of team allegiance again. Still love college basketball, and I coach high school basketball.

Reactions: JOHN72 and scloyd