PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
So smoking pipes.com is having a sale: 20% off all C&D tins. When I last checked, all the vendors seem to be out of ALL regular Old Joe Krantz, tins and bulk. What’s happening here? What are the vendors (and C&D) doing here? Why do they all let the supply run out completely, instead of keeping it in stock? And why the sale at smokingpipes? It seems like it wouldn’t have taken long to sell out at regular prices? What’s the reason for clearing the shelves? I’m just curious if there’s a reason for this. And I do wish I’d noticed the sale a bit sooner!

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
O
So smoking pipes.com is having a sale: 20% off all C&D tins. When I last checked, all the vendors seem to be out of ALL regular Old Joe Krantz, tins and bulk. What’s happening here? What are the vendors (and C&D) doing here? Why do they all let the supply run out completely, instead of keeping it in stock? And why the sale at smokingpipes? It seems like it wouldn’t have taken long to sell out at regular prices? What’s the reason for clearing the shelves? I’m just curious if there’s a reason for this. And I do wish I’d noticed the sale a bit sooner!
OJK has been out for a while. Most people appreciate a good sale and they run them a few times a year. Deep breaths it’s not the end of the world. I’m sure OJK will be back when they make another batch. They don’t have endless supplies of the proper tobaccos available at all times to make some of the blends.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Sometimes demand just outstrips supply. Based on what I've read, sometimes the supply of certain types and grades of tobacco can be limited, and it takes blenders a while to restock the components for a blend.
People see a blend they've been waiting for a restock on for months and they jump on it and order maybe five, ten pounds because they (often correctly) predict it will be out of stock again for a long time, ironically due to this very behavior of panicked overbuying. Multiply that by many other buyers, and you have a shortage.

As for the % off sales, it's simply to get you in the door. You see that and think "Oh cool, now I can get the C&D tins I wanted because they're 20% off. I might as well pick up some other stuff I wanted, too. I might as well grab a few more things to get that free shipping. Ah, what the hell, I'll just go ahead and grab a pound of Bob's Chocolate Flake while it's in stock. I really want that pipe - I should probably grab it before someone else does..." et cetera, et cetera. Same as any other retail business. It's basic consumer psychology.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Profit

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
As for the % off sales, it's simply to get you in the door. You see that and think "Oh cool, now I can get the C&D tins I wanted because they're 20% off. I might as well pick up some other stuff I wanted, too. I might as well grab a few more things to get that free shipping. Ah, what the hell, I'll just go ahead and grab a pound of Bob's Chocolate Flake while it's in stock. I really want that pipe - I should probably grab it before someone else does..." et cetera, et cetera. Same as any other retail business. It's basic consumer psychology.

sense.gif

Who knew playing the victim card could take so much of the sting out of TAD? 😎

• Haha
Reactions: edger

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
OJK and Haunted Bookshop have a huge following thanks to social media and youtube. That causes the constant selling out.

Not saying they arent great blends, they are. But they are always praised everywhere you look in pipedom
A lot of people who don't understand slow smoking complain about Haunted Bookshop tasting like cigarettes or ash.
Yeah, Haunted Bookshop is so nasty. So very gross and disgusting and overrated. Definitely don't buy any, because you won't like it... because it's nasty. Ew. I'll just take one for the team and smoke it all just so that no one else has to endure that kind of torment.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I do know one thing...I'm glad I got a shitload of OJK over the last few years.

And I always got free shipping!

I smoke almost only OJK, but I’ve never seriously stocked up because I can never decide if it’s better to go with bulk or tins. Bulk is a good deal, but sometimes I’ll get a pound-bag that’s got way too much tobacco powder in the bag. I was going to get a bunch of 2 oz tins but I hesitated and missed out. 😭

Reactions: brian64

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Sometimes demand just outstrips supply. Based on what I've read, sometimes the supply of certain types and grades of tobacco can be limited, and it takes blenders a while to restock the components for a blend.
People see a blend they've been waiting for a restock on for months and they jump on it and order maybe five, ten pounds because they (often correctly) predict it will be out of stock again for a long time, ironically due to this very behavior of panicked overbuying. Multiply that by many other buyers, and you have a shortage.

This reply is the winner! 😀

I guess I assumed since C&D was such a big player that they never did run out of the required leaf and manpower, but I suppose they might. And of course OJK is a popular blend. I’d think, though, that they could pause some of the less popular blends instead of letting the world run out of OJK, but maybe not. They just have SO MANY blends.

Reactions: Ted Vig