PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I smoke almost only OJK, but I’ve never seriously stocked up because I can never decide if it’s better to go with bulk or tins. Bulk is a good deal, but sometimes I’ll get a pound-bag that’s got way too much tobacco powder in the bag. I was going to get a bunch of 2 oz tins but I hesitated and missed out. 😭
OJK is a staple for me, so I typically get the 8 oz tins. I've never bought it in bulk because I've already got too much tobacco in jars, and I'm too lazy to deal with more and more jarring.

I know there are those who say not to store long term in tins, but thus far I have never experienced a problem with it (knock on wood) so I'll take my chances with the possibility of a small amount of loss vs the time and effort needed to keep doing so much jarring.

In my experience OJK seems to almost always be in stock...so I doubt it will be very long before it's back. But that said, if it's a blend you're certain you love, I'd advise to stock up when/while you can. As is said continually on here, "it'll never be more available or less expensive than it is now".

Also, if you really like OJK, you might want to try GLP Cumberland...IMO it's a close cousin.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
To share that much info with all their competitors would undoubtedly lead to serious criminal charges including price fixing, So, it works out that one (some) competitors can run out of things and some can have an excess of stock. You need to have several suppliers of goods to feel like you can get by today as a consumer. And if your main supplier is overseas, you are at their mercy.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
@Lumbridge said it right... "As for the % off sales, it's simply to get you in the door. You see that and think "Oh cool, now I can get the C&D tins I wanted because they're 20% off. I might as well pick up some other stuff I wanted, too. I might as well grab a few more things to get that free shipping. Ah, what the hell, I'll just go ahead and grab a pound of Bob's Chocolate Flake while it's in stock. I really want that pipe - I should probably grab it before someone else does..." et cetera, et cetera. Same as any other retail business. It's basic consumer psychology."

Darn - exactly what I fell for! A new pipe and 6 tins & bulk Pegasus! Seems they got me in the door and I lost control when they hypnotized me with that nice looking Savanelli 316 XL! Worth every red cent! puffy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Pipe tobacco is also much cheaper than other forms of tobaccos, there are more people smoking pipes as they quit cigarettes and as the price of cigars go through the roof, lets see $40 for a Padron or 3 or 4 entire tins of tobacco, simple need vs economics is another reason, that being said things have always sold out quickly when there are limit drops, people buy their max tins vs just one or two. Blah blah blah.