PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I like these.
Kendall Kentucky = Kendall Dark = Dark Birds Eye
According to Rachel the rep on here, they're all the same now.
Thank you for your recommendations!
according to their descriptions on smokingpipes.com :
Kendall Kentucky is Burley with Dark Fired Kentucky
Kendall Dark is Virginia
Dark Birds Eye is Virgina and Dark Fired Kentucky, also available in vintage (ribbon) cut

I also found Kendall Mixed -- Burley and Virginia

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Kendall Dark is Virginia
Dark Birds Eye is Virgina and Dark Fired Kentucky, also available in vintage (ribbon) cut

That's what they were previously, but they've been homogenized into one ribbon-cut blend according to Rachel.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Kendall Dark is Virginia

Yes, and I swear that the (older?) versions that I have of the blends show some differences to my eye and palate. But according to the rep who pops up here from time to time, they have all become the same blend...
Exactly when that occurred, and whether or not we may still be receiving shipments of "old" versions from the retailers I don't really know. But all of them (were) certainly similar even when I thought they were different - and are good blends in my opinion.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Yes, and I swear that the (older?) versions that I have of the blends show some differences to my eye and palate. But according to the rep who pops up here from time to time, they have all become the same blend...
Exactly when that occurred, and whether or not we may still be receiving shipments of "old" versions from the retailers I don't really know. But all of them (were) certainly similar even when I thought they were different - and are good blends in my opinion.
I think I had DBE a long time ago, but can't remember it.

I have some Kendal Dark from about 10 years ago, and it's definitely just Virginia, definitely no dark fired. No idea what it's like now.

Reactions: FLDRD

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If you can find a tin of McClelland Black Shag from the Sherlock series it is very very good. Ryback will not disappoint if you want something strong and easy to smoke and buy by the back. Same with 5 bros. Petite Robin is nice and floral very earthy.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty