PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Finally finish Churchill's Marlborough! A great read with lots of info regarding the Tories and their predominant control and growth of the African slave trade I never knew. Lots fascinating stuff covering late 1600s and early 1700s England/Great Britain. Much, much more that Marlborough's record in the wars. A heavy but, very informative four volumes. A great read for those with an interest in the history of the time period or simply the History of the Churchill family. Absolutely fascinating! Brutal politics, showing no real behavioral change over the centuries in how politics play out. Well, unfortunately dueling is no longer legal.

Now a bit of fiction, the latest from Ann Hillerman in Leaphorn/Chee saga.

beargreasediet

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2021
The Prairie
Fascinating book on the importance of sleep and how to get better at it.

IMG_3962.jpeg

Taking a look at the science of genetics, the incarnation and machinations of intelligent evil.

IMG_3963.jpeg

The field manual on how to diagnose and correct bad posture, remediate dysfunctional movement patterns, alleviate chronic pain and improve athletic performance longevity.

IMG_3964.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3964.jpeg
    IMG_3964.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: JOHN72 and brian64
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Alice Munro, Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage.

In memorium.

View attachment 310358
I was fortunate enough to meet her years ago. The mystery writer, Ross Macdonald (Kenneth Millar) wrote a dust jacket blurb for the the 1st American edition of The Beggar Maid; Ms. Munro very generously inscribed my copy with a nice sentiment about Ken Millar for my collection.

I have a copy of my Ross Macdonald coffee table book in my office—I thought I’d take a quick snapshot of the page that has a draft of a letter that Ken Millar wrote to Alice Munro and the copy of The Beggar Maid that she inscribed to me, to share:

20240516_114508.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am reading "Murder on the Dance Floor" by Andrea Hicks and features Lady Camilla Divine as the protagonist detective. Set in the 1920's.

4/5

Murder on the Dance Floor (Camille Divine #2) by Andrea Hicks | Goodreads

Reactions: JOHN72
I'm really curious to read this. Have read some great reviews and heard an interesting interview with him.
The writer has an interesting play on how Mark Twain depicted Jim's dialog, and how slaves would speak in "expected" talk to white people, and then they had way better grammar amongst themselves. The reason for this was white people expected the slaves to be beneath them in education and knowledge. It's an interesting perspective.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
The writer has an interesting play on how Mark Twain depicted Jim's dialog, and how slaves would speak in "expected" talk to white people, and then they had way better grammar amongst themselves. The reason for this was white people expected the slaves to be beneath them in education and knowledge. It's an interesting perspective.
I think it could so easily (sadly) have become a 'culture wars' thing. I'm really impressed with the way he talks about it, not criticising Twain for how Jim is written in the original novel.