PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Same here, I’ve noticed a popularity surge in coronas lately seems to always sell out first on cigarpage these days and the 50+ gauges running the majority of availability, but perhaps there are more rolled in those sizes to begin with I don’t know. I just know I mostly have to settle with much thicker sticks than I prefer.
Agreed. A 50 ring is about as big as I want to go, but Corona (43), Corona Gorda (46) are my wheelhouse ring sizes. I peruse my local shop and see 60 and even 70 ring cigars and just say, WTF?

BronzeAgePiper

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
When did leaving the ring/badge/advertisement on the cigar become a thing?

Some 50 years ago when I smoked cigars, everyone removed the (whatever it's called) prior to lighting up. That seems to be not the case anymore. Anyone know when and why this change occurred?
When I started 20 years ago, I’d take em off as I thought it was proper etiquette, I think it still mostly is in Europe, but of course with social media surging it became en vogue to leave them on. If your short term memory is suffering like might you might appreciate having the band to look down on to remember just what it is your smoking!

Some 50 years ago when I smoked cigars, everyone removed the (whatever it's called) prior to lighting up. That seems to be not the case anymore. Anyone know when and why this change occurred?
I would think people who would smoke a cigar as a lifestyle choice and with each other, would remove the band as it is more egalitarian.

On the other hand hobbyists would keep the band on, specially when smoking alone and posting on the internet. Otherwise how would people know the merits/demerits of the cigar.

Having said that the ultimate snobbishness is to remove the band : assumed egalitarian but still hinted that it’s not.

A good example would be Mark Zuckerberg’s T Shirt.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Having a Villiger 125th Anniversary Robusto, 4 7/8" x 52 on the porch. I haven’t seen this size listed anywhere (it was probably gotten at CIGARfest 2018 or 2019 and could’ve been a preview promotional size).

20240514_175402.jpg

When I asked Wasabi if he wanted to go outside, he flipped down on the bed and started squirming and rolling around, making it difficult to pick him up. When I put him on the ground, he bolted for the door. It’s 67⁰ and cloudy, but feels pleasant.

20240514_180105.jpg

PipeWI

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2023
Somerset WI

I do because the heat of the cigar helps melt the glue on the band and makes it less likely that any stray glue spot tears the wrapper. I think I learned that from when cigar AFICIONADO used to be CIGAR Aficionado.

Also, I recall that Sherlock Holmes disses some evildoer in one of the stories because he has removed his cigar band, something that is apparently Not Done by a Gentleman...