PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
I think pipes get labeled "Great Line" when they're particularly large. The funny thing about Castello is that their normal pipes don't have size grades besides "Great Line" although I've seen some websites (Corti) mark some as "Mini." I was looking at two shape 33 pipes that looked almost identical down to the finish except one was 4.5" and one was 5.25".
Not exactly. I have seen several greatlines with normal size.

Reactions: AroEnglish

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Not exactly. I have seen several greatlines with normal size.
True, on occasion you might find a Great Line in a smaller size, than expected. Expectations being that Great Line refers to size alone. Not always the case. In these it is most often the "shape" that refers to the GL designation.

As far as weight ....... personally I only use weight when comparing pipes of similar sizes. Not all large pipes carry a hefty weight and the same hold true for smaller pipes. Not all are light.

If I am selecting a pipe for a personal purchase and have two, or more, of similar size and shape to chose from, I always select the lightest one available.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Many places don't list a weight, or show the pipe against a scale, so you do need to recognize your preferences, and ask the seller for that detail.

Here's a 55 4k sold by LJ Peretti. Given the 4k size, I'd guess 60 grams or so?
1714560913219.png

and a Castello grade 55 sold by Corti, listed at 41 grams. (Wow, this is gorgeous!) This one is definitely in my wheel house. The European dealers seem to get the small Castello's that never make it to dealers in the US.
Do we see many 55's with slightly bent stems? I don't recall that.

1714560978766.png

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Al, for an understood reason, most buyers in the US believe that Castello pipes lean towards the larger sizes. This is 100% upon the distributor, back in the day, and the current authorized dealers selecting pipes in medium and large sizes, thinking this is what the market "expects & desires".

When I was an authorized dealer I brought in larger Castello pipes, only when asked for by a select few clients. I was getting requests for medium and smaller sized Castello's, which is what I leant towards bringing in.

At Castello's workshop I viewed loads of pipes in various sizes. Most of the "smaller" sizes stayed in the European market. Smaller Castello pipes are available in various finishes and shapes. Lots of 2k sized pipes are there. Also some 1k's.

Bottom line ... IF you prefer smaller sized pipes, by whatever brand you prefer, let your retailer know. If they don't know, they guess. They make their guesses from what they see sells, and IF they only have large and medium sized pipes, and they sell ......... they will keep buying medium and large pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, for an understood reason, most buyers in the US believe that Castello pipes lean towards the larger sizes. This is 100% upon the distributor, back in the day, and the current authorized dealers selecting pipes in medium and large sizes, thinking this is what the market "expects & desires".

When I was an authorized dealer I brought in larger Castello pipes, only when asked for by a select few clients. I was getting requests for medium and smaller sized Castello's, which is what I leant towards bringing in.

At Castello's workshop I viewed loads of pipes in various sizes. Most of the "smaller" sizes stayed in the European market. Smaller Castello pipes are available in various finishes and shapes. Lots of 2k sized pipes are there. Also some 1k's.

Bottom line ... IF you prefer smaller sized pipes, by whatever brand you prefer, let your retailer know. If they don't know, they guess. They make their guesses from what they see sells, and IF they only have large and medium sized pipes, and they sell ......... they will keep buying medium and large pipes.
Thanks! I'm sure dealers stock what sells, but a good reminder to let shops know, then, vote with your dollars.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Why oh why did I not find out about your store until after you closed!

Reactions: briarblues

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Probably because you were lucky. Just think how much money you saved..... hahahahahahaha
Lol but I want pipes, not money. I can't smoke tobacco in money, especially not in our now plastic Canadian dollars!

But in truth I was a broke college student when you were operating so all I could've done was ogle the pipes and dream.

Reactions: briarblues

heissa

Lurker
Apr 21, 2024
Yes the waiting is tough when you're so close!
100%

I saw a couple of your videos in the Castello workshop. Fantastic.