PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I was looking at a pipe on line:
IMG_2968.jpeg
Looks like maybe a sail-maker in Great Yarmouth a long time ago. Or not. But the tenon:
IMG_2969.jpeg
…it got me wondering. Is there anything you can learn about when and how a pipe was made from the tenon? I notice that OLD Petersons and Comoys have step-tenons. What does it mean if anything? Can it tell you about when it was made via a vis the kind of equipment?

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I’m probably wrong, but the step tenons always make me think of filter pipes. For instance, Savinelli. Put the adapter in the tenon and it looks like that, but also they make their tenons like your photo for non-filtered pipes.

When it comes to some of the unknown brands, I’ve always assumed somebody contracted with one of the bigger firms to supply them with unfinished stems & stummels. The “brand” would do final fit, finish, and stamping so they can provide a pipe “Made in London” or wherever the finishing was done, but really it’s a French or Italian pipe.

Peterson is a bit different. Their nicer pipes had stems with removable (threaded) ends or cones made of bone and later metal. This helped remove moisture as part of the system — more turbulence in the well/sump area. I always assumed that step was an effort to add the extra length as part of the system without too much complexity or cost.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’m probably wrong, but the step tenons always make me think of filter pipes. For instance, Savinelli. Put the adapter in the tenon and it looks like that, but also they make their tenons like your photo for non-filtered pipes.

When it comes to some of the unknown brands, I’ve always assumed somebody contracted with one of the bigger firms to supply them with unfinished stems & stummels. The “brand” would do final fit, finish, and stamping so they can provide a pipe “Made in London” or wherever the finishing was done, but really it’s a French or Italian pipe.

Peterson is a bit different. Their nicer pipes had stems with removable (threaded) ends or cones made of bone and later metal. This helped remove moisture as part of the system — more turbulence in the well/sump area. I always assumed that step was an effort to add the extra length as part of the system without too much complexity or cost.
The pipe in the photo must be something made by a big firm on order, maybe as a giveaway. It seems like Comoy’s and Petersons and maybe other English makers like Sasieni had more complicated-looking step tenons in the old days. You may be right about the reasons or rationale. I don’t know but I wonder what it says about the machinery/equipment and I wonder why they all stopped doing that. I’m also wondering if it dates pipes when they have them, or locates them.

Reactions: Strike Anywhere
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The step in the tenon is the result of fitting the tenon in the mortise without any unnecessary steps or material waste. The step is cut back until the stummle seats flush against the tenon shoulder, any further cutting is a waste of time to a manufacturer trying to make as many pipes as fast as possible.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I always figured that step was there to help the stem seat flush so that any built up tar at the corners of the face of the mortise would not prevent it from fully seating.

Reactions: MattRVA

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
The step in the tenon is the result of fitting the tenon in the mortise without any unnecessary steps or material waste. The step is cut back until the stummle seats flush against the tenon shoulder, any further cutting is a waste of time to a manufacturer trying to make as many pipes as fast as possible.
That makes sense. Why is it only on earlier pipes from those brands I mentioned?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's on modern pipes such as Savinelli as well. Just a byproduct of a prefabricated stem unless the stem is made for a filter.

Having a step is the exception, actually. (I have 300+ shapes in stock and only 63 of them have it).

Meaning it isn't an unavoidable by-product. Just a way that some mold designers did things.

What is odd is because the step-down always has molding flash, cleaning up "the little tube at the end" meant EXTRA work, not less. Unless the cutter used also contained the step-down... but that would have been more expensive, harder to sharpen, etc.

'Tis a mystery...

Last edited:
Reactions: milk and Toast

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Having a step is the exception, actually. (I have 300+ shapes in stock and only 63 of them have it).

Meaning it isn't an unavoidable by-product. Just a way that some mold designers did things.

What is odd is because the step-down always has molding flash, cleaning up "the little tube at the end" meant EXTRA work, not less. Unless the cutter used also contained the step-down... but that would have been more expensive, harder to sharpen, etc.

'Tis a mystery…
I’m glad my question provokes a mystery rather than a mundanity. It seems that all those earlier Comoys and Petersons have them.