PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I had one just like this. It was a bear to clean and yes it tended to clog. I used a burr on the end of a flexible shaft to open up and contour the bottom of the chamber - problem solved... (kinda like the opposite of raising the bottom of a chamber with pipe mud...)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I had one just like this. It was a bear to clean and yes it tended to clog. I used a burr on the end of a flexible shaft to open up and contour the bottom of the chamber - problem solved... (kinda like the opposite of raising the bottom of a chamber with pipe mud...)
I actually thought about whether doing something like that might be feasible. I'll have to see how it goes, and at some point may consider it if necessary. Don't know if I dare try to do it myself though.

Reactions: jhowell

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Oh, I thought it was wrong. Sorry for wasting your time :)

I'll note that I do a semi regular hot water flush, which might make a difference.
Oh, ok...so that's the same one in the first pic I take it.

It's difficult to tell from that pic how similar it is to mine...and as I commented earlier in the thread, it may end up smoking ok, but regardless the drilling is way off. And yes, I can see where doing a water flush would help a lot with cleaning given that the "subchamber" is likely to get gunked up easily...but I've never converted to the Water Flush sect, and I'm too stubborn to start now.

EDIT: I still have not smoked the Buffalo yet...not sure when I'm going to.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
FWIW, my Dinomeer is drilled just like that too. The drilling created a mini chamber forward of the draught hole.

Think of it as a Meerschaum System Pipe. 😏

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
He's ready to work for Peterson.
The thing is, he's such a talented artist that it's hard to be upset about it. I knew better than to purchase it without seeing a clear chamber pic, but I let PAD derangement get the better of me...stemming from the previous pipe of his I acquired which I absolutely love and is drilled perfectly. I'll likely pick up another of his at some point, but never again without seeing the drilling first.

If at all possible, the drilling should be done before getting too far into the carving on something like this. It's a damn shame if it's fully carved and then muck up the drilling.

I'll smoke it for sure at some point and see how it goes...if it's too much of a problem I may have to consider the fix jhowell suggested above.

Reactions: jhowell

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Oh yeah...I sort of remember that now...very nice. From Jan 2020...I can't remember that far back...and you never seem to mention it. I don't think anyone else has ever shown a dinosaur meer on here before...not that I recall anyway.

And yes, that drilling is very similar...way too low...except mine has a much larger opening...a long, wide slot instead of a hole.

Reactions: pruss