PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm attached to that natural or only somewhat finished cob look, but those paint jobs look terrific with the swirl highlights.

Reactions: weezell

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Very nice. My guess is that they will last longer with the coating of paint, but may get hotter since they won't be able to breathe as well. I like your color choices. It makes them look really classy.

Reactions: weezell

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks for the concern,

I was under the impression that acrylic paint on the outside would be fine. I’m going to sand the inside of the bowl and a bit of the rim before I smoke from it.
well one that's not what that paint is designed for. And one of the things to think about is that you'll be handling it while putting something in your mouth. Who knows what warming it up will do to the paint. Probably fine but who knows. But it isn't designed for being used like this.

Reactions: weezell and Lianza

Lianza

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2021
Wilberforce, Ontario
well one that's not what that paint is designed for. And one of the things to think about is that you'll be handling it while putting something in your mouth. Who knows what warming it up will do to the paint. Probably fine but who knows. But it isn't designed for being used like this.
Very fair.

I’m not in a rush to smoke them, I will continue to do some more research before I light them up.

Thanks!

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Acrylic ought to be pretty safe to ingest - clay mouthpieces are often painted with it to stop your lips sticking - & it's very common in schools.

I think it depends on how much it heats up on the cob & how porous they are, because I have zero idea on acrylic fumes - they might be a whole different kettle of fish.

Be interested to see if you get any bubbling.