PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On a whim, I snagged this Delcour "Knotty Pine" author last week. It arrived today - what a great shape and blast. Little is available about this company (Delacour Brothers) , save a small page on Pipepedia. They apparently moved some production to England at some point. The business closed in 1960, so I assume this one was made later in their history. It has a great stem and tenon, with a "Hand Cut" stamp. Curiously, the stem has a brass dot, similar in shape/size to a Dunhill dot. I wonder how they got away with that? (or was it even factory?) Can anyone shed any more light on this brand? The web only yields older, hallmarked examples.

It should be a very easy restoration.

View attachment 156882View attachment 156883View attachment 156884View attachment 156885View attachment 156886View attachment 156887View attachment 156888
jguss can give you their entire history. I'll look to see if I can find the information that he sent me.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
On a whim, I snagged this Delcour "Knotty Pine" author last week. It arrived today - what a great shape and blast. Little is available about this company (Delacour Brothers) , save a small page on Pipepedia. They apparently moved some production to England at some point. The business closed in 1960, so I assume this one was made later in their history. It has a great stem and tenon, with a "Hand Cut" stamp. Curiously, the stem has a brass dot, similar in shape/size to a Dunhill dot. I wonder how they got away with that? (or was it even factory?) Can anyone shed any more light on this brand? The web only yields older, hallmarked examples.

It should be a very easy restoration.

View attachment 156882View attachment 156883View attachment 156884View attachment 156885View attachment 156886View attachment 156887View attachment 156888
Al, That one's right there in your wheelhouse................. It's got Al Jones written all over it.........
Nice one!!............

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
jguss can give you their entire history. I'll look to see if I can find the information that he sent me.
Ahi-Ka had saved it as a PDF and PM'd me (Thank you!) Jon is incredible of course. No mention of the Knotty Pine grade nor the stem logo. From that doc, as I had surmissed, it looks like this one was probably made late in their history - so late 40's to the 1955 shuttering of the business. I can't find any other example of a sandblasted Delacour pipe. I'll do the restore over the weekend.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Ahi-Ka had saved it as a PDF and PM'd me (Thank you!) Jon is incredible of course. No mention of the Knotty Pine grade nor the stem logo. From that doc, as I had surmissed, it looks like this one was probably made late in their history - so late 40's to the 1955 shuttering of the business. I can't find any other example of a sandblasted Delacour pipe. I'll do the restore over the weekend.

Thanks for the kind words Al. That PDF was originally made for Michael Lindner back in the day when he still had The Pipe Rack and was offering amazing old British pipes.

I'm on a personal trip to Boston for the next few days but will try to look into this next week if I can free up the time. For now I can say offhand that I'm unfamiliar with the Knotty Pine and a quick scan of Fancy Goods Brand Directories came up dry, but of course the directories aren't always complete and other sources may tell a different story. In any case Delacour Brothers definitely had at least one other sandblast pipe. By 1930 at the latest they made the DBL De Luxe in a sandblast finish that they called the Sand Carved. See below from Tobacco World Annual (1936):

Delacour DBL models 1936.png

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I think the "Delacour" was a line, just as "D.B.L." was--at least this is the suggestion in a pre-fire catalog. Sandblasts were on offer, though nothing named "Knotty"---notwithstanding the fact that the catalog may not have been comprehensive. There are, however, images of sandblasted "Delacour" pipes in the pre-fire catalog.

The question, I think, is whether "Delacour" pipes were produced by Delco Briars, or whether we might say with some certainty that the "Delacour" were pre-1935.

The original eBay listing shows a "Knotty" but I can't quite see a "Pine" underneath it. There may be some sandblast over the stamp. Does it in fact say "Pine" and not "Pipe?" I can only see the words "Knotty" on the eBay listing and none other than "Delacour" in the post above.

I'll try to unpack my issues of Tobacco and have a look at what Delco Briars may have listed as having been on offer.

Reactions: jguss

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think the "Delacour" was a line, just as "D.B.L." was--at least this is the suggestion in a pre-fire catalog. Sandblasts were on offer, though nothing named "Knotty"---notwithstanding the fact that the catalog may not have been comprehensive. There are, however, images of sandblasted "Delacour" pipes in the pre-fire catalog.

The question, I think, is whether "Delacour" pipes were produced by Delco Briars, or whether we might say with some certainty that the "Delacour" were pre-1935.

The original eBay listing shows a "Knotty" but I can't quite see a "Pine" underneath it. There may be some sandblast over the stamp. Does it in fact say "Pine" and not "Pipe?" I can only see the words "Knotty" on the eBay listing and none other than "Delacour" in the post above.

I'll try to unpack my issues of Tobacco and have a look at what Delco Briars may have listed as having been on offer.

Good question. I do know that the name Delacour, as well as the names DBL, Delco, and Delfit were all controlled by Delco Briars Ltd from 1938 on. but as you say to determine whether Delacour was actually stamped on pipes we'd need to look at contemporary trade advertisements or articles. Unfortunately in my case most of what I have that might speak to that question is inaccessible for a while.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It is simply "Knotty". The shape number appears to be 439. I finished the pipe this evening - I hope it smokes as good as it looks!
Removing the oxidation from the stem revealed two stacked brass dots - one slightly smaller.
I'll see if I can add this example to the Pipepedia page, it is pretty sparse.

Delacour_439_Knotty_FIN (1).JPGDelacour_439_Knotty_FIN (9).jpgDelacour_439_Knotty_FIN (10).jpgDelacour_439_Knotty_FIN (11).jpgDelacour_439_Knotty_FIN (12).jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This has to set a record for the most money ever paid for one of the 1962 Barling's Make pipes.

Note the 4 digit model number starting with a 6.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can anyone help me make sense of the star next to the nomenclature?

John Loring indicated that if a pipe was replaced while under warranty the replacement pipe would be stamped with a star such as this.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Absolutely. Generally speaking as the war progressed English pipemakers were forced to use increasingly mediocre briar and sandblasting became a favorite way of hiding defects. Somewhere I have a post-war article that refers explicitly to this phenomenon.

The copy I made of the article is a bit tough to read so here's a transcription of the relevant parts. It's from the June 1953 issue of Tobacco:

During the war the "T.C." pipes were often sandblasted because the sandblasting, plus a dark coloured stain, could well hide a poor bowl.

Earlier in the same article is an explanation of T.C. that adds insight into wartime conditions in the industry:

During the war, when we saw a number of these [sandblasted pipes] on the market, the "T.C." pipes (Trade Controlled) were often treated in this way [i.e. sandblasted], and stained black. Briar was then obtainable on quota only, administered by the Board of Trade, and a percentage of bowls so allocated had to be resold at controlled prices, so these were distinguished by the letters "T.C." followed by the price.

So the general idea is pretty obvious; briar was in short supply and subject to allocation. To make the most of what they could get poor bowls were sandblasted, and even worse ones were stained black too. Note that this is not to say that all sandblasted pipes of the era covered grievous flaws, just that many did and for logical supply-related reasons.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A couple of interesting auctions this weekend;

Mark Irwin sold this Eire-era 999 that, curiously in an Author shape. I've never seen a 999 in this shape.

And yet another GBD with ornate silver work and fitted case.

Reactions: orlandofurioso