PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Here's a Peterson Kapruf 124 I BIN'd last month. The stem was unnaturally straight, so I bent it back close to it's original shape, based on some photos of Mark Irwin's on PetersonPipeNotes. Today I smoked some G&H Black Irish Twist in it - I forgot how much I love that smokey blend.

I'm a sucker for nicely-blasted Kaprufs in difficult-to-find shapes.

PETERSONS Kapet #124 Rustic Tobacco Pipe ~ Irish Mixed Grain Briar Ireland | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/304537209696

View attachment 155751

View attachment 155750
Seems to me the straight stem is correct for a Kapruf:

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
1928 Dunhill - an LB, based on dimensions given by the seller

DUNHILL Shell Rusticated Billiard Estate Pipe ~ Box, Pouch & Certificate ~ Pat. | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/115463664015

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Reactions: jguss and jpmcwjr

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
If you want to have one made, another option is Rich Lewis @ Lewis pipe & tobacco. He has been on the radio show here, has been fixing, restoring and making pipes for decades. Has traveled all over the world and learned from some of the best and taught some of the best in the industry and has the most reasonable prices I have ever seen. You can find him online (just google his name) or you can call him (Minneapolis MN). A super nice guy that has been working on and making pipes longer than some here have been alive. An under utilized resource for pipe smokers IMO.

• Love
Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Great recommendation. He knows I have several pipes that will need new stems.

I showed George a photo of this pipe last week in a Zoom meeting, and within seconds he told me it was a 56, just based on the size of the letters compared to the width of the shank. He also looked at a photo of another questionable Dunhill and told me immediately that the stem was a replacement, and how he knew that. He saved me a few bucks with that info.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Rich is a good guy. My advice is to inquire about the repairs backlog before sending. I'll just leave it at that.

George's backlog is huge. I could get a good stem made by a number of people I know; however, a valuable Dunhill with a stem by George has a value much closer to that of an all-original than a pipe with a stem made by anyone else. So I can wait.

I could be wrong, but no one's going to convince me of it :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On a whim, I snagged this Delcour "Knotty" Author last week. It arrived today - what a great shape and blast. Little is available about this company (Delacour Brothers) , save a small page on Pipepedia. They apparently moved some production to England at some point. The business closed in 1960, so I assume this one was made later in their history. It has a great stem and tenon, with a "Hand Cut" stamp. Curiously, the stem has a brass dot, similar in shape/size to a Dunhill dot. I wonder how they got away with that? (or was it even factory?) Can anyone shed any more light on this brand? The web only yields older, hallmarked examples.

It should be a very easy restoration.

Delacour_Knotty_Pine_Before (1).JPGDelacour_Knotty_Pine_Before (2).JPGDelacour_Knotty_Pine_Before (3).JPGDelacour_Knotty_Pine_Before (4).JPGDelacour_Knotty_Pine_Before (5).jpgDelacour_Knotty_Pine_Before (6).jpgDelacour_Knotty_Pine_Before (7).jpg

Last edited: