Emptying bowl if not finished...while hot or cooled?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
I don't think it matters much. If you dump it all hot, be careful where you do it. Once I dumped ashes that I thought were fully extinguished, I mean there was no smoke whatsoever, but they caught the trash can on fire. As a matter of precaution, now I always wait at least five minutes from the last puff before dumping it.

Reactions: markophonic

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Dump immediately. No problem there.

Clean immediately? Well, some assert that removing the stem whilst the stummel is hot/warm can crack the latter (or is it the former? 🤔 ), so I'd wait to clean till it's cool, unless it's a pipe with a military mount.
Yes, don’t take it apart till very cool, shanks will crack. I actually don’t take pipes apart more than once a month for a deep clean.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
When I first started smoking a pipe I made it a point to finish the bowl in one sitting. Then religiously clean the pipe afterwards, when it had cooled.
That's why I preferred small bowls: I just couldn't sit out there in my car for an hour or more, puffing.

Nowadays, I just smoke till I feel like going in, then put out the pipe and normally only half the bowl has been smoked; fine, I just save it for another day. I'm finishing during the week the pipe I packed on Sunday.