Emptying bowl if not finished...while hot or cooled?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I would just leave it to smoke later. If you're talking about leaving it overnight to clean in the morning or something that's fine. I wouldn't worry about cleaning the pipe while it's still hot.

Reactions: markophonic
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The only time I won't dump out an unfinished bowl is if the pipe isn't broken in yet, then I won't dump it unless I smoke it all the way to the bottom.

I also find that IF my pipes are broken in properly and caked all the way to the bottom, there's never a need to not finish the bowl because it tastes bad.

I tend to pick a pipe based on size commensurate to the amount of time I have to smoke so I'm not usually leaving unfinished bowls.

I will not clean a conventional tenon pipe until its cooled off, I will clean an army mount pipe as soon as I'm done smoking it.

markophonic

Lurker
Sep 9, 2023
Michigan
If I'm not going to smoke the rest some later time, I just dump it. Is there some particular reason why you want to save it till it gets cold?
I dump it hot...I just wondered if there was some reason not to do that...with all the minutia about building cake yadda yadda yadda.

Reactions: PaulRVA

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
OK this is exactly what I have been doing.
Are you guys using filters? It definitely seems to complicate this stage. I want to get the moisture out quickly but can't take the pipe apart while it's hot so the wet filter just ends up staying in there. Probably not a big deal, though it's more fodder for convincing myself over the long term, to ditch the filters altogether.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
For me it's a function of how much of the bowl is left. If there's enough tobacco to be able to relight and enjoy them I may leave it. If I am done, and there is just enough to get going but will then have to reload then I dump. I hate getting comfortable and then finding that I have to go back to my pipe station to reload!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably best practice is to dump it as soon as it is smoked up. I smoke a lot intermittently, coming back to a partial bowl later or even the next day to finish it. As long as you scoop out the chamber and run a pipe cleaner through the airway, either works.

If you have quite a few pipes, so they have long drying times anyway, in rotation, it probably matters even less.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
For indoors I have a old Peterson Xmas tobacco tin that is my ash box, it goes in hot or cold, when nearly full I empty it and start again, when out and about I carry a empty 50g tin, if I can't find a suitable place to empty my pipe I use the 50g tin.

Reactions: Esrafel

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
When I weary of the pipe or the smoke starts to get acrid due to moisture in the bowl, and a swipe of a pipe cleaner doesn't fix the problem, I just dump it and consider it done.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
While hot, when home, I empty the dottle, and run the water hot tap up to speed, then flush the bowl out through the stem.

It will often pull crap from the tenon-mortise junction, leading to fewer stops with deep cleaning. Been on this for over five years on about 80 pipes- though some of them haven't been smoked in a long time.

Reactions: ThermionicScott