PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
… is not something I am finding enjoyable, especially on my goddamned face. Oddly enough, caffeine and nicotine both seem to take the edge off the pain, so that’s another reason for a bowl.

I know that vaccines are a touchy subject these days, and I do not presume to tell anyone what to do. That being said, my 50th birthday [in the US, you have to be at least 50 to get the shingles vaccine] will involve an appointment with a needle. You do not want this shit.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I got shingles last year. A spot on my left chest about the size of a dime and another spot on the opposite side on my back. It was a pretty painful itch. I was lucky because it was very small compared to some. I've seen pics of people with huge patches of it.
@krizzose I hope you recover quickly.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
If it's above and below your eye it's dangerous because it can develop in your eye and cause vision loss. Your doctor probably warned you about that. Luckily I dodged that bullet when I had shingles. Also, having shingles doesn't make you immune from getting another attack. My doctor said to get the vaccine to prevent another occurrence. Best of luck.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Oh mate I’ve had these cursed things and they are bad. I had them on my back/shoulders and it nearly drove me crazy, serious nerve pain and I’m a pretty hard bastard too. I found Manuka honey really helped but it was damn messy. I think the only real cure is time and rest but really feeling for you. Take it easy.

Reactions: krizzose and romaso

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Rest and stress free relaxation are crucial (frequent bed rest). Not surprised caffeine and smoking help you relax. In the old days Calamine lotion relieved the itch and discomfort. Its a virus so it must run its course. Make sure you thoroughly wash your hands so as not to spread it around. Once you get it you really don't need the shot. You should not get the shot with an active case; wait a couple of months if you choose to get it. Hope you feel better soon.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
My wife and I just got our first vaccine shot a few weeks ago. She got her's at her doctor's office during a checkup which motivated me to go ahead and get mine at the local pharmacy that makes it pretty easy to just walk in and get, no appointment necessary. Hang tough krizzose.

Reactions: krizzose

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
I had it 47 years ago at the age of 7. Doctor was freaking out since he had never seen or heard of anyone that young with it. Covered my back and have nerve damage and scars to this day. While at my age, the hair that left my head for my back should be a blanket, I only have hair from a gunshot scar where it grows. And I never had chicken pox!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I was raised when a summer funfest was getting all the kids in the neighborhood that hadn’t had CP together with the kid that had it so it could be gotten out of the way by all.
Fifty years later (last year) having known a few guys that got shingles I decided to get the vax. This spring I got shingles.
Peaked right in the middle of closing on a property and the move, which really sucked.
Fk Shingrix, YMMV

Reactions: Reggie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
… is not something I am finding enjoyable, especially on my goddamned face. Oddly enough, caffeine and nicotine both seem to take the edge off the pain, so that’s another reason for a bowl.

I know that vaccines are a touchy subject these days, and I do not presume to tell anyone what to do. That being said, my 50th birthday [in the US, you have to be at least 50 to get the shingles vaccine] will involve an appointment with a needle. You do not want this shit.
both nicotine and caffeine not only do have pain killing properties but also enhance the pain killing properties of other things ranging from aspirin to stronger more dangerous things like gin.
Shingles is terrible. I feel painfully itchy just knowing you're dealing with such a detestable thing. At least you're not like that one bartender that had shingles on their face, if you need a bright side to look at.