PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
Senses are weird. Perique smells like tangy chocolate cake/brownies to me, like you know that plenty of sour cream was used. I don't get pepper nearly as much.
Credit has to be given to the source of the Perique.

I've gotten chocolate, raisin, fig, plum, and what is more like a fresh peppercorn straight from the tree (if you have access to smelling a pepper tree, which is quite vibrant and zesty).

Not that I find these all at the same time with any given source of Perique, but these are all characteristic aromas that I've picked up from Perique within a blend. I'm sure age can have quite a drastic effect on Perique and how we perceive it, especially depending upon the additional components of a blend.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Not that I find these all at the same time with any given source of Perique, but these are all characteristic aromas that I've picked up from Perique within a blend. I'm sure age can have quite a drastic effect on Perique and how we perceive it, especially depending upon the additional components of a blend.
I liken perique to cilantro. I love cilantro because to me, it's full of flavor and herbal complexity as though it's basil's bad ass older brother. My wife, however, is one of those in the unfortunate group for whom cilantro tastes metallic rather than herbal. She hates it and because tastes are subjectively perception-based, our respective taste discrepancy is unlikely to change. She won't go for dishes where cilantro assumes the starring role, but if I can hide it in a mosaic of flavors, she loves it.

Myself, I've made a point of repeatedly trying perique and attempting to acquire a taste for it, but it's not a natural preference. Perhaps that's because I detect a different aroma and taste from it than do others. Plum Pudding and Mad Fiddler Flake proved that I could love perique-as-condiment, but I'm still baby-stepping my way from there. I love aged Escudo, but I've yet to find myself as a contended wanderer in VaPer-land.

I had another theory too, and I read fortunate enough to be around Greg Pease when I spouted it. Namely, it could be the fermentation. I Ferment my own vinegars, ciders, sauerkrauts, and I even make Kombucha at home. As such, I believe that my regular ingestion of raw fermented products affects my tastes of all fermented products. As a fermented foodie, Mr. Pease agreed that what you eat impacts your tobacco preference to an extreme degree, though he didn't share my taste-based reticence of perique.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Why not, nothing wrong with Mold. My late grandfather was from there, still got cousins who are happy there still.
View attachment 248127
Not the most ‘happening’ of places but It’s got St. Mary’s church.
View attachment 248129
Along with the surrounding countryside, nice place to live.
View attachment 248130
Mold - Town in Flintshire, North Wales
Mould - Found in American tobacco tins….(mostly).

Why not, nothing wrong with Mold. My late grandfather was from there, still got cousins who are happy there still.
View attachment 248127
Not the most ‘happening’ of places but It’s got St. Mary’s church.
View attachment 248129
Along with the surrounding countryside, nice place to live.
View attachment 248130
Mold - Town in Flintshire, North Wales
Mould - Found in American tobacco tins….(mostly).
Thought I knew her for a moment.

I have some friends living there.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
ODF is one of my favorite fall/winter baccys of all time. Rich, savory, and complex. Here's an 11 year-old tin from the first year, 2012, I just opened:

odf-1.jpg
odf-2.jpg

Lots of corrosion, as expected. This tin's seal would not last another 11 years, imo.

odf-3.jpg

How does 11 year aged ODF compare to a newer 2021 tin? Here we have 2012 (LEFT) and 2021 (RIGHT). They are very different! I was expecting the 2012 to be darker, but it is lighter due to more abundant lighter flakes (VA/Burleys I assume). The tin/jar notes on both years are also different. The 2012 smells like smoked meats and pepperoni sticks, while the 2021 smells more vinegar, burnt steak fat, a little molasses, and there is seems to be a topping I am detecting, like possibly rum, chocolate, or vanilla. It's faint, but it is there. You don't notice it until you directly compare the two.

odf-4.jpg

Smoking both, the 2012 was definitely more mellow and lacked the depth and complexity of the newer 2021. I definitely prefer the newer tin to the aged one. Higher age definitely does not always equal better, but I also wonder if something changed in the blend between the first and subsequent years.

Last edited:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
but I also wonder if something changed in the blend between the first and subsequent years.
ODF was made because they'd found some forgotten dark fired leaf from I believe the 70's in their warehouse and wanted to showcase it so they created odf. I can imagine that original source either used up now or running low and not using as much which would be my common sense answer to something changed. I have some 2013 tins waiting to be opened

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Penny Farthing from GL Pease.
First time smelling tin I picked up on a possible vinegar/jerky smell. This is possibly a casing that is not detected during smoking. Second smell later on was more fig and tobacco.
The vinegar/jerky smell could just be the Perique and DFK. I've been tempted to crack one of my tins since @AppalachianPipe92 's thread. Perhaps I will soon. :)