Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I’d love to see some pics from @greeneyes
For starters, this nice tin of Dunhill Durbar that we (Fred Hanna did the honors) opened at the Chicago show this year. The tin belonged to Elliot Abel who ran the Tobacco Corner in Tennessee. He passed away and his son, who runs Mitchell Thomas distribution, sold off his tins and cigars (and his famous collection of Comoy Blue Ribands, apparently). I may be mistaken but the tin resembles one that Mike McNiel was photographed holding at a much earlier Chicago show and it's possible Abel purchased it from him. I say this because the label was torn in a near identical manner.
PXL_20230921_230745957.jpgPXL_20230921_230819238.jpgPXL_20230921_230827540.jpgPXL_20230921_230920885.jpgPXL_20230921_231353547.jpgPXL_20230921_231555866.MP.jpg
The tobacco was heavenly. Not a rough edge anywhere and packed with depth and flavor to the last puff.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
For starters, this nice tin of Dunhill Durbar that we (Fred Hanna did the honors) opened at the Chicago show this year. The tin belonged to Elliot Abel who ran the Tobacco Corner in Tennessee. He passed away and his son, who runs Mitchell Thomas distribution, sold off his tins and cigars (and his famous collection of Comoy Blue Ribands, apparently). I may be mistaken but the tin resembles one that Mike McNiel was photographed holding at a much earlier Chicago show and it's possible Abel purchased it from him. I say this because the label was torn in a near identical manner.
View attachment 248182View attachment 248183View attachment 248184View attachment 248185View attachment 248186View attachment 248187
The tobacco was heavenly. Not a rough edge anywhere and packed with depth and flavor to the last puff.
Thank you! This is what I was hoping to see and you delivered!

Reactions: Jacob74 and yanoJL

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Thank you! This is what I was hoping to see and you delivered!
Your profile says you're in the Midwest. Where, specifically? Do you plan on going to the Chicago show? The Midwest is a large place but there's a chance it's not too far away from you.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Your profile says you're in the Midwest. Where, specifically? Do you plan on going to the Chicago show? The Midwest is a large place but there's a chance it's not too far away from you.
I’m in MI about a 5 hour drive away from Chicago. I thought I might go this past year but it was the same weekend my sister got married. I’ve got next years dates in my calendar and if I can make it, it’ll be my first show (finally!).

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
View attachment 248182View attachment 248183View attachment 248184View attachment 248185View attachment 248186View attachment 248187
Amazing. I love Durbar.
It was discontinued by STG in the recent reorganization.
Luckily I have a few sleeves of the last iteration.

Reactions: AroEnglish
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
View attachment 248107
I meant to post this here last week.

Just opened a 10 year old tin of Skiff Mixture. The tin note makes me envision an old wood paneled library with high backed leather chairs clustered around a fireplace.

After breathing for a few days the Orientals have become slightly more prominent. A very civilized smoke.
That looks so good! I have a few tins of Skiff Mixture in my cellar aging nicely as well as a couple of 8oz mason jars. One of my favorite blends. Enjoy!

Reactions: BriarLinedMeer

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
I was coerced by both @jbfrady and @BenMN into cracking a fresh tin (2023) of C&D Kajun Kake.

20231101_200739.jpg20231101_200634.jpg

I was sorely misled by the statements that this smelled like cow (or human? I still do not know) shit and a farmer's sweaty ballsack after a long day out. This smells like a lovely, cooled to room temperature (which is what temperature?) raisin chocolate brownie.

Was I duped?

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I was sorely misled by the statements that this smelled like cow (or human? I still do not know) shit and a farmer's sweaty ballsack after a long day out. This smells like a lovely, cooled to room temperature (which is what temperature?) raisin chocolate brownie.

Was I duped?
If you were duped it wasn't intentional. I can't speak to the original tin note, as I was gifted one that had been open for several weeks.

But... don't go changing my words around! I said it smells like a highly trafficked cattle barn, and cattle barns smell of hay and urine more than shit. And it was the salty aftertaste that I related to ball sweat. You'll have to smoke it to test that theory...

But for real, enjoy. My tastes are mine alone, I'm the first to admit I'm a pretentious dick, and it was all in good fun.

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
I'm the first to admit I'm a pretentious dick, and it was all in good fun.
No harm, no foul, friend. I'll copy your closing statement for my own puffy.

In all honesty it smells delicious and I'm looking forward to firing a bowl up within the next day or two. Chocolate raisin brownie immediately springs first to mind. That is no lie! If it weren't for your review, I was going to let this one sit in the cellar for the next handful of years before opening. You may have caused a very happy accident! I appreciate your tongue-in-cheek reviews.

To anyone looking for a good (and comical!) read and review: All credit to jbfrady!

Cheers!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

Was I duped?
Senses are weird. Perique smells like tangy chocolate cake/brownies to me, like you know that plenty of sour cream was used. I don't get pepper nearly as much.